Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Anyone build their own land anchor for winching? If so which style? Why did you chose that style? If you bought one same thing why did you choose it over others?

Pics of finished product please.

Brewbud

Rank V

Member III

SoCal
Member #

I haven't built one but I have used a pull-pal in a mock rescue and a buried spare tire with a real rescue. A lot of digging to bury the tire! Luckily it was in sand.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I know of at least 7 different ways to do expedient anchoring. Im just wondering what others are using since everyone is in different local terrain. The one i was hoping would be mentioned is the stake type anchors that they use in the uk, most of their stuff is that soggy peat bog. Why do we not use them in america? If they work for landrovers in soggy stuff why woildnt they work here? I know using them in sand is out of the question but in mud and rocky terrain on paper they seem like they would work pretty good. They are just a fancy version of a chain and some rebardownloadfile-21.jpg

Last edited:

Jeep backroads

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Shingletown, CA, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
King
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7tdk
I have a pull pal and it has saved me twice once in the sand and once in a meadow where there where no trees around. I think it’s one of the most important pieces of recovery equipment I have. Especially since we travel by ourselves almost all the time

JeffMerlet

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Santa Cruz, CA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Merlet
See
IMHO Deadman seems to be a good option with the main advantages of being more versatile and "smaller & lighter (to pack/carry)" than a pull pal, but definitely requires more work than a pull pal in sand.

Reactions: Jeep backroads

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

I know of at least 7 different ways to do expedient anchoring. Im just wondering what others are using since everyone is in different local terrain. The one i was hoping would be mentioned is the stake type anchors that they use in the uk, most of their stuff is that soggy peat bog. Why do we not use them in america? If they work for landrovers in soggy stuff why woildnt they work here? I know using them in sand is out of the question but in mud and rocky terrain on paper they seem like they would work pretty good. They are just a fancy version of a chain and some rebarView attachment 101651
I've never even heard of this style. DO you have any more info on them?

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Have an idea to do something similar using the hilift main shaft and pound 30 inch 1/2" rebar through the holes in opposing directions and attach the winch to the end of the hilift shaft.

Tvot84

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Topeka, KS, USA
First Name
Tony
Last Name
Votaw
Member #

See
IMHO Deadman seems to be a good option with the main advantages of being more versatile and "smaller & lighter (to pack/carry)" than a pull pal, but definitely requires more work than a pull pal in sand.
Seems the Deadman could also be used as a trunk saver also. 1 item, 2 uses... 3 if you use it to wrap something in for storage!
Seems to me, that would be my preferred method just for the utility aspect of it.