Lake James Paddy campground and Old NC105

• HTML tutorial

Eric Neal

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Atlanta, GA
Member #

Glad to see others got out this winter in the SE to enjoy the scenic vistas of our Appalachian Forests.

Interesting cot/tent set up you guys used!!

Reactions: Drifterman

GunDude

Rank V

Influencer II

The cot tents are quick and easy to setup. Usually put a tarp over to keep dry getting in and out in rainy weather.
Was going to stay Saturday night, but did not know how bad the freezing rain and sleet would affect are tarps? If called for snow, would have stayed.

Eric Neal

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Atlanta, GA
Member #

thanks for sharing... learned something new today! Since I've already got 4 ground tents (various sizes from ultralight backpack single, 4 person to cabin sized) AND a RTT (by Yakima) the last thing I'd look for (or need) would be another tent/sleeping system. LOL

I just hadn't ever seen these before.

Eric Neal

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Atlanta, GA
Member #

My wife and I were up in NW GA Friday and Saturday. It was pretty cool temps and windy on Friday as the weather front moved in. Didn't start to rain until 3 PM (with a few exceptions of very light sprinkles Saturday morning). We were going to camp both Friday and Saturday but with the darkening clouds we pulled the plug and bailed out.

We can, and will, go back again - hope some of the gated roads are open next time.

GunDude

Rank V

Influencer II

My wife and I were up in NW GA Friday and Saturday. It was pretty cool temps and windy on Friday as the weather front moved in. Didn't start to rain until 3 PM (with a few exceptions of very light sprinkles Saturday morning). We were going to camp both Friday and Saturday but with the darkening clouds we pulled the plug and bailed out.

We can, and will, go back again - hope some of the gated roads are open next time.
Camping in the rain is NO fun! Time before this trip, we went to Price lake camp ground in Blowing Rock, NC. It poured all night long, and barley sleep at all.

Eric Neal

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Atlanta, GA
Member #

Gun Dude, We've camped in the rain (sure you have as well) and it ain't ALL BAD. Our first trip, about 3-4 years back just after I got my RTT mounted, was rain all day - rain all night for 3 solid days. We had a blast in N. GA mtns. anyway. I had a tarp which I strung up for us to "huddle under" and cook. So when we weren't driving we just sat around in spare time along a stream banks listening to the water, drinking (some coffee/tea and "adult beverages"). But then, as you well know, the "chore" side of the trip always has to happen...

We had to return home, dry all the gear, clothes, etc. and wait for a sunny day to open up the tent so it could air dry. So I agree with you, "Camping in the rain is NO fun!"

But what really strikes me as ironic is that for many folks on this site - those in the South West - rain isn't a factor at all. Its either brutal sunshine OR snow and blistering cold. In fact I had to laugh out loud (at myself and situations) when a guy I met in southern AZ suggested that we go visit some spots he thought were MUST SEE campsites. Of course they seemed to all be on or near a lake or river.

So there we were from SE USA where no matter where we drive its, "there's another waterfall, there's another spring/stream/lake, etc." and we just take it for granted. But in the South West - water is such a rarity for many and also a huge magnet for camping. We visited one of the suggested sites and found it over crowded with ppl. So we dropped back to our original vision/plan and spent our time in remote desert travel and camping. We loved it!!! Seeing and experiencing new environs is so refreshing.

Anyway - hope you and yours have a great year in 2019. Best wishes and hope the "dry season" shows up in our area before the heat, humidity, and bugs show up - LOL.