US Southwest Labor Day Run to New Mexico(FULL)

• HTML tutorial

Adventures with Penny

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Eagle Mountain, Utah, United States
First Name
Tommy
Last Name
Peiser
Member #

Myself and a couple friends are running the NMBDR next weekend, any info yall think we need to know?
It's pretty straight forward. Definitely take your time and check out the side roads that run off of West Side Road. There is some really neat stuff to see out there.
This is what we drove on Saturday.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Depending on how we feel once we get to the mountains I scoped out a dirt road route to Cloudcroft. Sixteen Springs Road. It's only 2 miles longer than the highway but the highway is 38 mins and 16 Springs says 1h43min.
View attachment 168864
That ought to be a nice venture on that road. I've never traveled any road north of Hwy 62 other than the hwy to Ruidosa from Cloudcroft.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
And nice muddy roads to play on. All
That red clay dust ought to be fun for slipping and sliding.

tw1st3d5

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Florissant, CO, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Kee
Member #

This wood be a good weekend to run James River Road. All this rain should have the river way up.
I was hoping to have my trailer registered and run the Hill Country route this weekend to test it out before we make the trip to CO but that's not happening because the Sheriff will only fill out the damn 68A form on Mondays. If you end up going let me know and I may still make the trip out in just the 4Runner.

Adventures with Penny

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

First Name
Tommy
Last Name
Peiser
Member #

I was hoping to have my trailer registered and run the Hill Country route this weekend to test it out before we make the trip to CO but that's not happening because the Sheriff will only fill out the damn 68A form on Mondays. If you end up going let me know and I may still make the trip out in just the 4Runner.
I probably won't go. Too many things to do around the house.

N8TURE

Rank II

Member I

Mount Dora, FL, USA
First Name
Phil
Last Name
S
Member #

It’s been quite a journey so far. Wanted to update sooner but cell coverage has been terrible. After we departed Lincoln forest we went to Whitsands NP before heading north. Great Sand dunes NP was the next stop. We followed the 4wd trail behind the park and camped at 10,000 ft on Medano pass. We awoke to freezing temps and snow flurries. Concerned about the weather we headed over to Ouray for 2 nights to say warm. After a little exploring around the alpine loop and realizing the trails we too sloppy with snow melt to be fun we headed west. We took the rim rocker trail from Montrose CO to Moab in search of warmer weather. We made it to the state line only to get stuck on an exposed trail in a hail/rainstorm. After 3hrs of winching we retreated to Naturita CO for the night. Once we arrived on Moab we stayed for 2 days taking several hikes. Delicate Arch Trail was almost as fun as the loop 4wd trail in the park. The super duty now has a few more dents. Quick trip to Steamboat springs and then Mt Rushmore. I am currently laying in the tent in the badlands listening to coyotes in the distance, not sure how I have signal to send this update. Tomorrow marks the beginning of our week long journey home to FL. I value all the new friends we have made and look forward to “chasing campfires” soon.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
It’s been quite a journey so far. Wanted to update sooner but cell coverage has been terrible. After we departed Lincoln forest we went to Whitsands NP before heading north. Great Sand dunes NP was the next stop. We followed the 4wd trail behind the park and camped at 10,000 ft on Medano pass. We awoke to freezing temps and snow flurries. Concerned about the weather we headed over to Ouray for 2 nights to say warm. After a little exploring around the alpine loop and realizing the trails we too sloppy with snow melt to be fun we headed west. We took the rim rocker trail from Montrose CO to Moab in search of warmer weather. We made it to the state line only to get stuck on an exposed trail in a hail/rainstorm. After 3hrs of winching we retreated to Naturita CO for the night. Once we arrived on Moab we stayed for 2 days taking several hikes. Delicate Arch Trail was almost as fun as the loop 4wd trail in the park. The super duty now has a few more dents. Quick trip to Steamboat springs and then Mt Rushmore. I am currently laying in the tent in the badlands listening to coyotes in the distance, not sure how I have signal to send this update. Tomorrow marks the beginning of our week long journey home to FL. I value all the new friends we have made and look forward to “chasing campfires” soon.
That’s quite the adventure since we parted. I’ve been reading about rim rocker recently as well. Maybe in the next year or two.

Adventures with Penny

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

First Name
Tommy
Last Name
Peiser
Member #

Good to hear you guys are ok. We were all wondering if you found some snow.

Adventures with Penny

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

First Name
Tommy
Last Name
Peiser
Member #

Next trip is to Sulphur Springs Camp. The invite tool on OB is being a PITA right now so I can't send everyone an invite. I'll try later.