Kofa National Wildlife Refuge - southwest Arizona

• HTML tutorial

Mogwai

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Member #

Took 3 days through Kofa, what an amazing place so close to Yuma, yet you feel so far. The whole trip can be done in stock 4x4, having 4low will help through some of the washes and small climbs. That said I'd rate this route "blue" (green, blue, red). Mostly because of how remote spots can be, how very few people you will see, and therefore some advanced planning needed, and a few spots in the washes you could get bogged down.

At the southwest entrance of the park, near road to Big Eye mine, the land connecting Castle Dome Rd to Kofa becomes private and the owners tend to lock the gate. For passage I'd suggest calling ahead to the Castle Dome Mine Museum and arrange passage. If starting there, stop into the Museum and consider a nominal donation to their cause. We flipped a coin and asked for passage once we got there, but what I'm saying is plan this one, it would be a long loop back out I'd you get to the end and the gate is locked, or a very short trip if you start at the locked gate and can't get through. You cross onto their private property and through another gate in order to bypass the main locked gate.

The route we did was just shy of 90 miles total, had intended to exit via Big Horn Pass but ran out of time and instead exited North on Kofa- Manganese. You can extend the trip by exploring Big Eye mine, Palm Canyon, place where you can rockhound for crystals, etc...

I've done Mojave Rd and felt this one was on par with the length and scope, and as much as I loved Mojave, the history, etc... we enjoyed the varying scenery and fewer people we saw on this one (imagine that - Mojave is a very popular route these days!) better.

Enjoy, side mail with questions.

Sent from my Pixel XL using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: HEYElliott

Mogwai

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Member #

Not sure what months those are but the gate was locked on Nov. 20. Spoke with the gentleman who owned the property and he made it seem like he was over people driving through/around without permission and was keeping it locked.

Sent from my Pixel XL using OB Talk mobile app

buckwilk

Rank IV

Advocate II

yuma, az
The mine folks have a road which they have a gate on but keep unlocked during the season. Go to the mine and you bypass the locked gate.