Enthusiast II

Meldrum Bay, Ontario, Canada
First Name
SCOTT
Last Name
HARTLEY
Member #

Budget Overlanding

I bought the roof top tent before I discovered overlanding. Serving in the military for 24 years I was not spending one more night sleeping on the ground or on an inflatable airbed only to find my wife and I crammed into the center of the deflated mattress, besides no one was paying me to sleep on the ground anymore.
The tent with annexe was a bargain, had the 4x4 with fiberglass shell and all the camping equipment accumulated over 25 years of tent camping and canoe camping.
What I am showing is the dyi camp kitchen box. Prior to a kitchen box, compact kitchen gear was crammed into a 30litre pack barrel which was part of the canoe gear.

The kitchen box itself was built just as a plywood box, glued and nailed. The first cut on the table saw was the 3" lid. With the lid was removed and the top side open I ran the box through the table saw cutting 3 sides removing the front, then the front was ripped in half.
The hinges, handles and locking devices were then added. Firring strips were added to somewhat weather proof and guide lid and doors into place.
Measurements were garnered from needs.
Only one 4' x 8' sheet of ½" plywood was used.
The outside dimensions matched the space available just inside at the rear of the truck and fit perfectly on the tailgate when opened up.

When opened, collapsible basin and cook surface.

For less then 150.00 we have our kitchen Chuck box.

The box was painted black and is just awaiting aluminum 1" angle to trim it out.

Looking forward to our first expedition this spring.

Next project we are doing is a dyi shower from 4" ABS to be mounted on rack.

Attachments

Last edited:

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Budget Overlanding

I bought the roof top tent before I discovered overlanding. Serving in the military for 24 years I was not spending one more night sleeping on the ground or on an inflatable airbed only to find my wife and I crammed into the center of the deflated mattress, besides no one was paying me to sleep on the ground anymore.
The tent with annexe was a bargain, had the 4x4 with fiberglass shell and all the camping equipment accumulated over 25 years of tent camping and canoe camping.
What I am showing is the dyi camp kitchen box. Prior to a kitchen box, compact kitchen gear was crammed into a 30litre pack barrel which was part of the canoe gear.

The kitchen box itself was built just as a plywood box, glued and nailed. The first cut on the table saw was the 3" lid. With the lid was removed and the top side open I ran the box through the table saw cutting 3 sides removing the front, then the front was ripped in half.
The hinges, handles and locking devices were then added. Firring strips were added to somewhat weather proof and guide lid and doors into place.
Measurements were garnered from needs.
Only one 4' x 8' sheet of ½" plywood was used.
The outside dimensions matched the space available just inside at the rear of the truck and fit perfectly on the tailgate when opened up.

When opened, collapsible basin and cook surface.

For less then 150.00 we have our kitchen Chuck box.

The box was painted black and is just awaiting aluminum 1" angle to trim it out.

Looking forward to our first expedition this spring.

Next project we are doing is a dyi shower from 4" ABS to be mounted on rack.
You should make and sell those! :)

Reactions: Scotty_Dawg

Scotty_Dawg

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Meldrum Bay, Ontario, Canada
First Name
SCOTT
Last Name
HARTLEY
Member #

All set up... Side tables are held firm with L-brackets and Bungie cords... Collapsible sink cut out in one side board.
Needed a chef knife so I hand forged it.

Attachments