Kids or no Kids? (Camping that is)

• HTML tutorial

Kyle & Kari Frink

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

San Diego, California
Member #

1. Do you take your kids camping and why?
  2. Do you leave them home and why?
    • (Due to another members comment lol I want to clarify that you should never leave your children alone at home unless they are of an age to care for themselves. So by leaving them home, we meant as in with family/close friends/or babysitter)

We have two children who are about to be 4yrs(girl) and 2yrs(boy) of age. We waited until each one of them were at least 6 months old before we really took them camping or out in the wild. We believe you should show your kids how amazing the outdoors are and how to respect it.

What are you thoughts?​

Last edited:

Ericwc

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Westminster CO
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Cannady
Member #

1. Do you take your kids camping and why?
  2. Do you leave them home and why?

We have two children who are about to be 4yrs(girl) and 2yrs(boy) of age. We waited until each one of them were at least 6 months old before we really took them camping or out in the wild. We believe you should show your kids how amazing the outdoors are and how to respect it.

What are you thoughts?​
Yes and yes. We have taken ours with us for the last 14 years but there were times when we left them behind at the grandparents to give the wife and I alone time.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Kyle & Kari Frink

v_man

Rank IV

Advocate I

Redwood City
Leave your small kids at home? Like with a babysitter while you and the wife go camping? That's not going to fly with my wife, I've never heard of many parents who would do that. Get them out as soon as possible and suffer together lol..

Kyle & Kari Frink

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

San Diego, California
Member #

Leave your small kids at home? Like with a babysitter while you and the wife go camping? That's not going to fly with my wife, I've never heard of many parents who would do that. Get them out as soon as possible and suffer together lol..
@v_man

LOL!! We have never and will never just leave our kids at the house by themselves lol, maybe I should clarify my statement lol. Thanks for the laugh though.
But yes we take our kids everywhere with us.

bush2beach

Rank 0

Traveler I

Drop them off at the in-laws and get out there!!!
Spend some quality time with the partner in the fresh air and wilderness and enjoy the serenity.
There's plenty of time to go camping with the kids!

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
We are working on a OLB program that will address this issue and the answers bring them. We should have something within a couple of months, with a test at Overland Bound West Rally on October 5th.

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
We love taking the kids out, ours are 10(boy), 6(boy) and 1(girl). With our youngest we did wait until she was 5 weeks old before we took her into the bush. Her first was a 6-day trip through AZ and UT, she's gonna be a pro. I have been on a few solo trips which were pretty nice, but haven't had the chance to head out with just the wife yet. That would be awesome.

Kyle & Kari Frink

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

San Diego, California
Member #

We love taking the kids out, ours are 10(boy), 6(boy) and 1(girl). With our youngest we did wait until she was 5 weeks old before we took her into the bush. Her first was a 6-day trip through AZ and UT, she's gonna be a pro. I have been on a few solo trips which were pretty nice, but haven't had the chance to head out with just the wife yet. That would be awesome.
Nice! especially about the youngest being a pro, but hey that's part of what it is all about. You are teaching your children life skills most don't ever get taught due to our society and how technology/electronic/urban based everything has become. It's good to get back to the basics and nature included to foster good character and a sense of pride to be able to care for yourself in situations most people these days would not be able or quite frankly willing to lol. Also agreed, the wife and I only had the year or so before our daughter was born off-roading before it was always with them which is fine, we love our family. But sometimes it would be nice to get away lol just hard to think about at the same time as well considering how attached our family has grown to one another due to our life choices. Which is what we want for every family. to strengthen that family bond.

Reactions: brien

ohiowrangler

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Newark, Oh
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Darling
Member #

My son is grown, but when he was younger we took him with us. I now camp with friends and we enjoy watching the "discovery" moments of the kids that are around. I don't know if all parks have a naturalist on staff, Tar Hollow state park in Ohio has an EXECELENT naturalist. planned hikes, stream walks, other educational activities. How ever there is nothing like watching parents explain to a child why they shouldn't turn over rocks to pick up skates(lizards). In my 4x4 club we encourage family camping, take'em with you, you can always tape them to a tree. (just kidding), Ron

Kyle & Kari Frink

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

San Diego, California
Member #

My son is grown, but when he was younger we took him with us. I now camp with friends and we enjoy watching the "discovery" moments of the kids that are around. I don't know if all parks have a naturalist on staff, Tar Hollow state park in Ohio has an EXECELENT naturalist. planned hikes, stream walks, other educational activities. How ever there is nothing like watching parents explain to a child why they shouldn't turn over rocks to pick up skates(lizards). In my 4x4 club we encourage family camping, take'em with you, you can always tape them to a tree. (just kidding), Ron
@ohiowrangler

Hey no judgement here lol, but you are more than right. Taking your kids with you will give them memories they won't soon forget. It is also a learning opportunity as well besides the fun and enjoyment it brings.

jimmynotjim

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Jimmy
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

I grew up camping with my family, it was the only way we got a vacation since it was cheap. Once I was grown I never really considered a "real" vacation and much prefer to be in the woods.

When our son was born I probably waited a bit too long, but we've been camping with him since he was four or five. Since then we've crisscrossed the county a few times and explored our public lands along the way. He's ten now and loves our road trips almost as much as we do, though he does complain about being bored along the way more.

Kyle & Kari Frink

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

San Diego, California
Member #

I grew up camping with my family, it was the only way we got a vacation since it was cheap. Once I was grown I never really considered a "real" vacation and much prefer to be in the woods.

When our son was born I probably waited a bit too long, but we've been camping with him since he was four or five. Since then we've crisscrossed the county a few times and explored our public lands along the way. He's ten now and loves our road trips almost as much as we do, though he does complain about being bored along the way more.
True that lol, which is why we have a TV/DVD player for the kids while we drive. It may be "cheap" but is far more rewarding than spending a bunch of money going on a cruise or flying for just a couple of days. Don't get me wrong thing de things are nice just not the same lol.

jimmynotjim

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Jimmy
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

True that lol, which is why we have a TV/DVD player for the kids while we drive. It may be "cheap" but is far more rewarding than spending a bunch of money going on a cruise or flying for just a couple of days. Don't get me wrong thing de things are nice just not the same lol.
Exactly. We spent three weeks traveling through SD, WY, ID, MT, UT, and CO last year during the big eclipse and my boy learned more than he would have in those weeks of school (his teacher even said that).

Yet people were shocked we were taking him out of school. It was a once in a lifetime event, plus a whole lot of National Parks, but "regular" folks don't seem to see the value in that. It's really unfortunate. Luckily I've never really cared what everyone else thought of what I do, so I just brushed them off.

Last edited:

Kyle & Kari Frink

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

San Diego, California
Member #

Exactly. We spent three weeks traveling through SD, WY, ID, MT, UT, and CO last year during the big eclipse and my boy learned more than he would have in those weeks of school (his teacher even said that).

Yet people were shocked we were taking him out of school. It was a once in a lifetime event, plus a whole lot of National Parks, but "regular" folks don't seem to see the value in that. It's really unfortunate. Luckily I've never really cared what everyone else thought of what I do, so I just brushed them off.
Family is more and important and if you are worried about everyone else in that manner you aren't focusing on yourself or your family.