Kids and Overlanding

• HTML tutorial

Wanderer351

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

bladensburg,ohio
Member #

This past weekend went to tionesta pa. Did some fishing and my 2 girls loved it! We even found out a new easy of making sunny side up eggs or dippy eggs. Use a campfire pie maker! I'm trying to talk the wife into a trip to Maryland this summer. Not sure off the spelling but Assateque island

Sent from my SM-G935V using OB Talk mobile app
We are headed to Assateague this weekend for 5 days!! With all 5 kids!! Should be noisy and fun!! (Only been once last year and the bugs were epically awful..so we packed maxi-deet and jungle juice)

Driving the beach is extra...but we took the dogs and no place would let them on the beach besided5 Assateague..

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

FULLRUNNEROVERLANDING

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

NJ
Member #

Took our 4 kids and 9 month preggo wife on a nice little ride behind the Six Flags safari trail in Jackson, NJ.

We have since had the baby so it's now 5 yr old girl, 4 yr old girl, 2 yr old boy, 16 month old boy, and 3 week old girl =). And we all fit in the 4R!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MandAtaco

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Las Vegas, NV
Member #

We've got 3 little ones that we take just about everywhere with us, 7 and 4 year old boys, and a 2 year old girl. It's SO MUCH work, but totally worth it, I can't wait for the day I can pull into camp, grab a chair, and watch them set everything up! Camping with other families that have kids makes it way more fun too, the kids always do better when there's other kiddo's to hang with.

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

We've got two girls, both very close in age, and very young. Who have mostly grown up on the road. Good car seats are key. We have Recaro's for them both. They love to go "Bouncy Bouncy" as they say.

Wanderer351

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

bladensburg,ohio
Member #

5 kids...5 days on Assateague island Maryland...they didn't wanna come home today...boogie boards,sand castles and crabbing both blues for dinner and ghosts for fun!! 14x7 is their bunk house when we expect rain and its got a full solar set up so they can charge phones n tablets..and they are 100% safe and secure inside from bugs and wild horses.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

The Nothing

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

pdx, or
First Name
Isaac
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7BSB
This is Scout
She likes to "go for picnics in the woods"
She's been on the backways with me since she was able to sleep through the whole thing
Now she complains whenever I have to turn around "again"
I'm not allowed to drive through big puddles in Momma's car because "it'll break and she'll be sad"
But I'm expected to hit them all in my truck.

My dad (a former International mechanic) and I have often talked of building an old Scout for her...

Ibjayb

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

NorCal
Member #

Actually the kids are what has inspired me lately. We have been camping and traveling with or two boys 8,11 since they were infants. Now with school , sports, friends and all the commitments it's really important to be able to steal away for some fast overnighters and weekends without too much hassle. This was a few from our last trip with a quick bed setup and lunch camp for fishing. Then we did some hiking, exploring, and found an old corral for the BB guns.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

PolarExpress

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Aliana TX
Member #

jeep beach.jpg We have two boys, youngest is almost 3 oldest is 5. They still LOVE sand toys and monster trucks. While driving we listen to audio books and lots of pod casts, some very cool science for kids pod casts out there. Looking for better ways to keep them happy at the camp site, I like the glow stick idea. I also bought some colored flame packets of Amazon, put one in the fire and it turns the flames green and blue for about 20 minutes.

Last edited:

AndyMKE

Rank I

Enthusiast I

My boys are 5 and 8 and they have been camping for the last 4-5 years. We do a couple group camping trips every summer with dads and kiddos and then my boys and I usually try to get out a few times a year. Wife doesn't camp but says she will give it a try next year. We are also going on a little trip next weekend to the Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail with some folks from the OB community.

We try to bring bikes with us, flashlight and glow sticks keep them pretty entertained at night. My boys are pretty happy just exploring.

Also if we are going on a long trip 8+ hours, I usually try to leave the night before around the kids bedtime that way they sleep through a good portion of the drive.
IMG_8281.JPG IMG_6690.JPG IMG_7270.JPG

Classic City Overland

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Athens, GA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Gagnon
Member #

I have 2 little ones myself, 2 boys, one is 4 and the other 2. They would live outside if my wife would allow it. We've been camping several times, and we go on "Adventure naps" in my Trooper. We start driving down dirt roads and usually stop at any interesting locations. We made a game on finding interesting rocks. I took alot of Geology in college and I figured id like to share that with my boys, they love rocks and playing in the dirt, we bring the USGS guidebook with us to identify odd formations also. Kids are just natural explorers.

Reactions: Rctonnie

trfkcop

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Oak Ridge, Tennessee
First Name
Todd
Last Name
O'Neal
Member #

I have two at home 11 YOA girl, and 4 YOA boy! So different it is hard to believe they are both mine! I am looking for ways to get them unplugged, especially the girl.

Reactions: PuraVida

Joshua Miller

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

What a great idea for a thread! I have an 8 year old son and a 4 year old daughter. My son is very excited about our first trip coming up next weekend. It's just a day trip because we are still trying to accumulate all the necessary items needed for overlanding. But it should be a blast.

Knitron

US Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Utah
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Clearfield, UT
First Name
Jason
Last Name
T
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7EBG
One of your funnest family trips of the year is the Christmas tree hunt. It's just day drip but we have a blast. Go find some snow to plow through to find a tree and have some fun doing it, the kids love it.

Attachments