Launch Member

Advocate II

Olympia, WA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Hannum
Member #

Have any of you backed this? I decided to get in at the Super Early Bird + mounting kit option for about $161. Seems like a good deal so I thought I'd share.

Last edited:

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

I am not backing it. I kind of have a problem with a company that has a multi-million dollar production facility using Kickstarter to avoid the risk of bringing a new product to the market. While the product may be great if it works as advertised, I'm skeptical that Tred will be able to pull it off. Their existing ramps consistently score below MaxTrax and have numerous complaints of cracking and breaking.

I hope Tred can live up to their promises, but I'm not interested in backing a product from an established company worth millions of dollars. They should have the cash flow to pay for their own R&D.

Lipek

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

They're pieces of ****. The only good part about them was their lifetime warranty (which I used twice in 3 months). After they sent me brand new pair the second time I sold them and will be buying Maxtrax. There really is no comparison between the two.
On my last trip we used six TREDS (3 pairs) and 2 Maxtrax (1pair) every single tred failed when Maxtrax survived and still looks brand new. TREDs are brittle and brake OFTEN also their lugs melt from wheel spin. Maxtrax bend and don't melt from friction.
Hope this review helps anyone thinking of going this cheap route.

Trixter404

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Olympia, WA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Hannum
Member #

I am not backing it. I kind of have a problem with a company that has a multi-million dollar production facility using Kickstarter to avoid the risk of bringing a new product to the market. While the product may be great if it works as advertised, I'm skeptical that Tred will be able to pull it off. Their existing ramps consistently score below MaxTrax and have numerous complaints of cracking and breaking.

I hope Tred can live up to their promises, but I'm not interested in backing a product from an established company worth millions of dollars. They should have the cash flow to pay for their own R&D.
I would agree with you on this except that, in this case, you are receiving the merchandise at a discounted price...feels more like a pre-sale/group buy.

Trixter404

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Olympia, WA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Hannum
Member #

They're pieces of ****. The only good part about them was their lifetime warranty (which I used twice in 3 months). After they sent me brand new pair the second time I sold them and will be buying Maxtrax. There really is no comparison between the two.
On my last trip we used six TREDS (3 pairs) and 2 Maxtrax (1pair) every single tred failed when Maxtrax survived and still looks brand new. TREDs are brittle and brake OFTEN also their lugs melt from wheel spin. Maxtrax bend and don't melt from friction.
I've read the mixed reviews on the TRED 800 and 1100 and have avoided purchasing either until now but in the video they address the melting/tire spin and other issues based on feedback they have received from customers. I guess for $160, I feel it's worth giving them a shot. I'm not willing to pay the price for Maxtrax...but that's just me.

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

Couple guys I know bought in. I'll wait and see what they think before I sink my money into them. Also like said before, pretty bad that an established company is using Kickstarter to launch a new product.

ocpd8518

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor I

Port St Lucie Fl
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Skalkeas
Member #

I did. I backed them for $400. Don't know if I got scammed for $400, but supposedly I'll find out in 2016. By what they put out for a release they seem like they've done their homework.

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

I guess I will be the "guinea pig".
When you get the ramps, I'm sure we would all love to see a review of how they perform and hold up. I do hope that Tred manages to make a superior or equivalent product to MaxTrax for the price they are talking about. If they pull it off and these new ramps don't break, crack, or melt, I will buy some.

Reactions: Trixter404

Deadman Offroad

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Escondido, CA
Member #

The review that Ronny Dahl had done was with the old version of the Treds vs Maxtrax. So far I haven't seen any reviews on how well the new design works.

ZuLander

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

San Marcos, Tx
Member #

Just stumbled across this thread. I was an early backer and picked up two pair for right around $200.
I've only HAD to use them once, and they performed perfectly. Still look brand new.
Headed for a beach trip this weekend and plan on killing some time playing around with them some more. If weather (wind) cooperates, we may shoot a little review video as well.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

TOMITOMATO

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

PROSPECT HEIGHTS IL
Member #

Nuff said thanks!