Keeping firewood dry?

• HTML tutorial

jimbofoxman

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Oshtemo Township, MI, USA
Member #

What do you all do for keeping firewood dry? Saw a video on youtube with a guy using Front Runner Hurricane bags to keep wood dry, but those can be expensive. Granted their are other dry bags/duffles out there. Doing google search on this site didn't return much, maybe wrong search terms. My one thought was get a Plano storage box and use that as it wouldn't be quite as expensive as say the FR Hurricane duffles. Tarps just seem like a hassle to me.

I have a pickup with no cover. Or no RTT to help shield it a bit. What if you are caught in a all day rain, or an all night rain? Probably on an all nighter I'd throw it under the truck to limit it's exposure. Once a fire is started you can start drying wood out some.

I'm thinking just a plano box with the gasket installed like recommended on here just because it minimizes the cost.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Just use the heavy duty contractor trash bags...I put everything in those an throw them in the back of the truck. Fire wood, clothes, etc. If the bag holds up good enough, you can use it as a trash bag when the wood is gone out of it. Box of 50 for around $20.

jimbofoxman

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Oshtemo Township, MI, USA
Member #

Just use the heavy duty contractor trash bags...I put everything in those an throw them in the back of the truck. Fire wood, clothes, etc. If the bag holds up good enough, you can use it as a trash bag when the wood is gone out of it. Box of 50 for around $20.
Good idea............I already have those for use in the woodshop!

avgjoe624

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Fayetteville, NC, USA
Member #

I usually just "taco" my wood into a tarp if i take any, the little blue tarps that you get for free at harbor freight with a coupon. Either that or i just find old downed trees and hopefully get lucky enough to find some pine heart (fat lighter)

S

SubeeBen

K.I.S.S. NOT SAYING YOUR STUPID BY ANY MEANS.BUT TARP & bungee cords. Keep it simple. Contractor bags are a great idea as well.

Reactions: Lindenwood