Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Louisville, KY, USA
First Name
DarinAndJen
Last Name
TacoMacs
Member #

We're wanting to go explore a section of the KAT this month or next or anytime this summer (April through whenever 2021). Wanting to go with some others just so we aren't going alone. We've never been. We like the idea of doing weekend portions, maybe three days worth over the coming months.

Pkins44

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Sarasota, FL, USA
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Kinsella
That looks like something I need to do too! I’ll be heading up to northern Wisconsin from Florida and will hit GAT and TWAT on my way up there in July. I’ll have to add some of this to the trip

Contributor II

East Tennessee
First Name
James
Last Name
vvvvv
I've done quite a bit of the KAT. Matter of fact, it passes though a good amount of Jackson County, which is where my paternal side of the family is from. I was telling Dad about it, and he was like "they think that's fun now??" haha.

It's a awesome trip. The S tree camp site is more remote but the trail that pops out at Sand Gap is really fun. There is another camp site called Turkey Foot in McKee and the last time I was there it was super duper clean. But, beware, this area, at least two years ago, was dry, as in, no beer. So if you want a beer, BYOB.

Reactions: smashdn and Pkins44

smashdn

Rank I

Contributor III

Franklin, KY, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
New
Started looking at this today. Might give me inspiration to hustle up and get my Suburban back to being driveable. I currently haven't even transferred the title because I started working on it right away after I bought it. No seats in it currently to even drive if I wanted too. been using a cooler or half of a cinder block as a driver's "seat" when I need to move it in the driveway.

JeepNutt1983

Rank 0

Contributor I

NC/SC Charlotte Area
First Name
John
Last Name
Ambs
Newbie quetion. I tried to open the KAT gpx file but google maps said it was too large. I just downloaded GAIA and it only shows the waypoints and not the route. Any suggestions?

mamalone200

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Eastern Shore of Maryland
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Malone
Member #

Newbie quetion. I tried to open the KAT gpx file but google maps said it was too large. I just downloaded GAIA and it only shows the waypoints and not the route. Any suggestions?
I'm assuming you are doing this on a smartphone (since you said you downloaded GAIA). Try logging into your account on a computer, the phone versions can be wonky (especially Android). When you drag the .gpx file into GAIA it should give you the option of whether you want to import waypoints and/or the routes.

JeepNutt1983

Rank 0

Contributor I

NC/SC Charlotte Area
First Name
John
Last Name
Ambs
Thanks, I just tried the online and I still do not seem to see a route. I had the same issue with the GAT but that file was small enough to open in Google Maps

1624560404419.png

mamalone200

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Eastern Shore of Maryland
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Malone
Member #

Thanks, I just tried the online and I still do not seem to see a route. I had the same issue with the GAT but that file was small enough to open in Google Maps

View attachment 202504
Did you try to import the file again on your computer? or are you just viewing what you uploaded on your phone?

On a separate note, have you done the GAT yet? How many days did it take you? I just found it the other day and it looks like alot of fun.

Dlnuckolls

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Shepherdsville, KY, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Nuckolls
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4WHV
The KAT is amazing! I had a friend join us in Cumberland and we did most of Main 2, earlier this year! We are already planning a trip to do more of it later in the fall.

Dlnuckolls

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Shepherdsville, KY, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Nuckolls
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4WHV

View attachment 202504
I use GaiaGPS and it loads the maps great and is usable from my iPhone, laptop, and my Android. Makes it a bit easier to follow, even when there was no signal.

Enthusiast III

Florida
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Birkmire
Member #

I'm taking a group of my buddies to do the KAT end of October. Would love to share planning ideas with anyone else who has gone or is planning to go. Especially in regards to dispersed camping. We aren't big on official campsites. so any tips on dispersed camping would be Greatly appreciated.

Reactions: Pkins44