Launch Member

Traveler I

Santa Ana, Ca
First Name
Raul
Last Name
Castorena
Member #

What's up OB family. I'd like some feedback on the Kargo master congo pro or sport roof rack for a JKU. Can you give me some feedback if you're running it on your rig please. I'm planning to put a roof top tent on it and use it to strap down some stuff. My first choice was a Gobi but they are 12-16 weeks on back order . Or if you know anyone selling a Gobi rack let me know, I'm in southern California. Thanks and much appreciated.

Rawly

Wayward Overland

Rank III
Founder 500

Off-Road Ranger I

Tampa, FL
First Name
Phillip
Last Name
Redding
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM4LXY
I can give feedback by proxy. My brother had a TJ with the KM rack and locked it. Swore by it. He went to a JK a year or so ago and went Gobi. He said fit and finish were just significantly better. That said, his is a JK Versus a JKU and some time has passed. I really don’t think you could go wrong with either.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Raul (Rawly) Castorena

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Santa Ana, Ca
First Name
Raul
Last Name
Castorena
Member #

I can give feedback by proxy. My brother had a TJ with the KM rack and locked it. Swore by it. He went to a JK a year or so ago and went Gobi. He said fit and finish were just significantly better. That said, his is a JK Versus a JKU and some time has passed. I really don’t think you could go wrong with either.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
Thanks for the feedback! I'm currently waiting on my KM pro rack to arrive. We'll see how it turns out.

RescueRangers

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Fleming Island, Fl
Member #

We have a Congo Pro rack with the Stealth Platform, katwalk and hing steps on the front doors. We went with this rack because it is beefy, its going to hold up to the loads for long duration. Every rack we looked at were made with 1 inch tubing, the KMS rack is 2 inch tubing. Also, KMS is great on customer service. There was a problem with the powder coat that they fixed but the vendor I got the rack from apparently had an old version laying around and I ended up with it. Long story short, I contacted KMS about the problem and two days later replacement rails showed up at my door.

The steps and katwalk make a big difference. The wife gets up and down off the Jeep without even thinking about where before I couldn't get her to climb up on the Jeep.

As far as the RTT, you will need longer bolts to mount it because of the larger tubing. I hit up Home Depot for some bolts. I also stopped by the auto parts store and picked up some 2 inch exhaust clamps. Instead of using the flat bars that come with the RTT (ARB Simpson III) I used the clamps. This holds like crazy and doesn't look like an after thought.

Raul (Rawly) Castorena

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Santa Ana, Ca
First Name
Raul
Last Name
Castorena
Member #

We have a Congo Pro rack with the Stealth Platform, katwalk and hing steps on the front doors. We went with this rack because it is beefy, its going to hold up to the loads for long duration. Every rack we looked at were made with 1 inch tubing, the KMS rack is 2 inch tubing. Also, KMS is great on customer service. There was a problem with the powder coat that they fixed but the vendor I got the rack from apparently had an old version laying around and I ended up with it. Long story short, I contacted KMS about the problem and two days later replacement rails showed up at my door.

The steps and katwalk make a big difference. The wife gets up and down off the Jeep without even thinking about where before I couldn't get her to climb up on the Jeep.

As far as the RTT, you will need longer bolts to mount it because of the larger tubing. I hit up Home Depot for some bolts. I also stopped by the auto parts store and picked up some 2 inch exhaust clamps. Instead of using the flat bars that come with the RTT (ARB Simpson III) I used the clamps. This holds like crazy and doesn't look like an after thought.
Vital Intel here! I really appreciate the feedback. I'm about to install the KMS Pro rack and right after was going to pick up the RTT, without what you mentioned about the bolt length I would have been stuck. The feedback on the wife is great also as well be overlanding together. Needless go say with are both excited about it, again thank you so for the Intel.

RescueRangers

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Fleming Island, Fl
Member #

Are you planning to mount an awning? I got with FourTreks to pick up a set of their awning mounts. They make it easy to mount and unmounted the awning, the bar mount stays in place and the mount on the awning stays on it. Putting it back on only involves four bolts and everything stays lined up. They are a bit pricey but they are well made. I highly recommend them. The photo is from their website.FOURTREK Mounts.jpg
My Jeep
DSCF6507.JPG

Roam Wild Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor I

Halifax, NS
Member #

Hey Rawly. Was wondering if there was any update on this?? I am planning to order a sport soon also, you still happy with yours??

Roam
OB #10918

Raul (Rawly) Castorena

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Santa Ana, Ca
First Name
Raul
Last Name
Castorena
Member #

Hey Rawly. Was wondering if there was any update on this?? I am planning to order a sport soon also, you still happy with yours??

Roam
OB #10918
Hey Roam,
I'm very happy with mine, except for one main thing. I'm running a soft top and the flapping that is caused by the wind turbulance to the top is out of control. That said if you have a hard top this is not an issue. I've only gone out once so far on an overlanding trip 7hrs out (14 hr round trip). I had my RTT on there and was solid. Four of us slept up top (2 adults 2 kids) no problems there. I couldn't mount my awning because I didn't get my clamps on time. See above thread for pics of those clamps. Other than that these things are solid. Best of luck with the build Roam.

Reactions: Roam Wild Overland

Raul (Rawly) Castorena

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Santa Ana, Ca
First Name
Raul
Last Name
Castorena
Member #

Here are some pics of my build and my trip. We hit Big Sur, the Ferguson nacimiento backroad was awesome.

Rawly

Attachments

Reactions: Roam Wild Overland

Roam Wild Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor I

Halifax, NS
Member #

Looks awesome. Mine is ordered and on the way!! I run a soft top in the summer months as well - so I'm a bit leery of the wind effect you mentioned. Kargo Master sells a deflector I'm told, so worst case will look into that if I find it bothers me excessively.

Thanks again for your replies.