Rank I

Traveler I

Guam
First Name
Tristan
Last Name
Overson
Member #

I have a 89 k30 that I turned into a blazerish sort of rock crawler.
Sweet! Its always nice to see whats out there. I think the tacoma's, jeeps and 4runners are great vehicles. However, I love seeing the older vehicles still in use.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Well not a K5, but still about the same thing... 1989 Full Size Bronco. I also had a 1984 RamCharger... again not a Blazer, but still same size... they make awesome trail/overland rigs.

Craig702

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Las Vegas, NV
First Name
Craig
Last Name
Husted
Member #

Is there a company that makes armor (under the vehicle) on those 70’s 80’s blazers and square body trucks? I have been thinking of purchasing one in the future

Overson_T

Rank I

Traveler I

Guam
First Name
Tristan
Last Name
Overson
Member #

Is there a company that makes armor (under the vehicle) on those 70’s 80’s blazers and square body trucks? I have been thinking of purchasing one in the future
Not that I have seen. A lot of them came stock with a transfer case skid plate but outside that I haven't seen any.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I have seen all kinds of under armor for these rigs... but all of it is custom built and weighs a ton... the transfer case and gas tank skids that came factory on these rigs is more than sufficient.

Craig702

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Las Vegas, NV
First Name
Craig
Last Name
Husted
Member #

when i see the drive shaft exposed on those lifted chevys I worry about those slamming onto a rock or something. Been on the lookout for a blazer chalet or gmc casa grande

Overson_T

Rank I

Traveler I

Guam
First Name
Tristan
Last Name
Overson
Member #

when i see the drive shaft exposed on those lifted chevys I worry about those slamming onto a rock or something. Been on the lookout for a blazer chalet or gmc casa grande
I have definitely seen a couple guys smash thiers into rocks. It is easily prevented if you take good lines.

Reactions: Craig702

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Someone had a Chalet for sale on Boston or NH Craigslist 6 months ago or so. You may want to check into that

Reactions: Craig702

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Anybody else running an older Blazer/Suburban or CUCV?
I F#&KIN WISH!

Had both a 1993 and a 1994 full size, GMT400- based Chevy 2 door Blazer k1500. More modern K5, without removable roof. Excellent vehicle and I've always thought they were perfect for camping, hiking trips (overland if you want) because of the wheelbase being shorter than today's double or crew cab pickups.

Mine are both dead now, 300k a d 170 K, but as soon as I can, I shall have another!

Goats, I tell ya. And more comfy than any Jeep

Reactions: Overson_T

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

good luck with your search.
with only around 17-1800 made they were rare new, and with attrition even more rare. there's prob only 4-600 hundred left...if...
be a good score if you can get one. buddy had one back in the '90's, sold it for a whopping $2500...he still kicks himself in the butt for letting it go
Yep. I know I can find them. But not for the 2 grand I paid back in 06.

I kick myself for letting my two go as well, but space was at a premium and I thought I'd just get another someday.

The good news is, while that body style 2 door Blazer was made fro. 1992 to 1994, it lived on as the 2 door Tahoe Sport fro. 1995 to 1999. So there's really 8 years-worth of that body out there, just called Tahoe Sport instead of Blazer.

The search continues

mface7

Rank V

Influencer II

Syracuse, Utah, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Facer
Member #

Mine's not quite as old as most listed here, but I'm running a 1998 Chevy Suburban 2500 454 with full-float rear axle. We call him Chuck. Picked him up a little more than a year ago with under 160K miles for $2200. Build thread link in my signature.

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
I've got a 79 K-5 Blazer with a 350, 700R4, NP208, heavy duty D44 with 4:88s and a locker, 14 bolt with a Detroit and 4:88s

I also have a 94 GMT 400 Suburban with a 454, 4L80E, NP241, 14 bolt with 4:11s and a Detroit

Reactions: mface7