JKU Overland build - AEV 2.5" Lift - Over capacity - should I add OME HD springs?

• HTML tutorial

rkcreative

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

I have a 17" JKUR Hard Rock, the vehicle came equipped with AEV 2.5" lift, on 35"s with AEV geometry correction brackets.

I got the jeep in February, since I have outfitted the the rig to make it more trail ready. I've added a front winch with steel line,gobi roof rack with a smittybuilt RTT, AEV rear bumper with a tire carrier ( I also put water in it), metal flat fenders and aluminium fender liners, high lift jack and etc.

I packed the rig up with recovery gear, tools, cooler and etc and headed out to Drummond Island over the Labor Day weekend.

043747A0-2551-459D-9E05-C15CA62A811F.JPG

IMG_1482.jpg

Jeep performed beautifully. However, loaded up with all the accessories, gear, food and water I am definitely over the AEV recommended 250 lbs above stock weight limit, and I could feel it driving the jeep.

I am perfectly happy with the lift height and the over all capability of the jeep.

What would be some options to increase the load capacity aside from going to another lift? I started doing some research and I came across Old Man Emu 2620 2.25" Lift Rear Heavy Load (660lbs) Coil Spring. What are your thoughts on adding those springs to my existing set up? Has anyone run this combo?

I should mention that 99% of the time the jeep serves as a daily, I keep the rack on while I remove the tent and other stuff. I am looking into building a rear drawer which will add weight back in.

Feedback is greatly appreciated.

Anchor Mtn

US Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fruita, Colorado
Member #

I have a few options for you:

1. Teraflex OUTBACK 3" springs. You wont need to redo the entire lift, just the 4 coil springs. They are designed specifically for overweight JKUs and work really well.(~$500)
2. Falcon Shocks. Just swapping out shocks for something with stiffer valving will vastly improve your ride quality and help with the overweight swaying your jeep has now. The 3.3 series shocks have quick adjust knobs on them so you can set them up for the driving conditions you are facing. Plus you can soften the ride for when you remove your tent and gear so you wont be stuck with the "covered wagon" feel when unloaded.(~$600-1500)
3. SuperSpring Sumo Spring bumpstops. They offer and extended length, softer bumpstop. This will help reduce the harsh bottoming that comes with being overloaded and help reduce sway. (~$130 pair)

OME makes a good product but the severe difference in spring rate from front to rear could cause adverse handling issues on the road.

jeepers29

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Georgetown, TX, USA
Member #

I have a few options for you:

1. Teraflex OUTBACK 3" springs. You wont need to redo the entire lift, just the 4 coil springs. They are designed specifically for overweight JKUs and work really well.(~$500)
2. Falcon Shocks. Just swapping out shocks for something with stiffer valving will vastly improve your ride quality and help with the overweight swaying your jeep has now. The 3.3 series shocks have quick adjust knobs on them so you can set them up for the driving conditions you are facing. Plus you can soften the ride for when you remove your tent and gear so you wont be stuck with the "covered wagon" feel when unloaded.(~$600-1500)
3. SuperSpring Sumo Spring bumpstops. They offer and extended length, softer bumpstop. This will help reduce the harsh bottoming that comes with being overloaded and help reduce sway. (~$130 pair)

OME makes a good product but the severe difference in spring rate from front to rear could cause adverse handling issues on the road.
I have the TF springs and shocks on our 14 JKU and love the set up. I switched from TF 2.5 springs that were sagging from the weight and rancho shocks the were no longer working at all. The difference is great ride and no sag when loaded heavy.