Influencer I

Franklin Park, Illinois
First Name
Lead
Last Name
Dog
Member #

Hello,

I apologize if this question has been tackled in another thread that I haven't found.

I noticed the original headlights on my 2008 JKUR are not as bright as I would like them. I assume they are dimming with age. Do you recommend just swapping them with newer headlights or should I upgrade to a better setup. I was looking at some of the light packages online and the prices scared me a little bit. Do you find the cost to be worthwhile? Does it offer a big advantage?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and advice you can provide!

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
The stock headlights suck, there’s no question about it. I tried the KC replacement headlight, and it was better, but far from great. I now have JW Speaker, night and day difference, pun intended.
Sometimes you can find someone who wants totake out the stock led headlights on a ‘17 or newer to put in halos so the angry bird or Vader grill will look like it has eyes. Craigslist and Facebook marketplace may yield a set of cheap, quality lights.

Reactions: Lead K9

Jedi

Rank VI
Staff member
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Ferndale, WA USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McClory
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6JDI
Yup, stock headlights are horrible. I changed to sealed unit LED lights from Amazon, and the difference is incredible. If you are making this change, you will need to ensure that the new LED lights come with an anti-flicker module. For me, I made my own because a rodent destroyed the original wiring harness.

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
Yup, stock headlights are horrible. I changed to sealed unit LED lights from Amazon, and the difference is incredible. If you are making this change, you will need to ensure that the new LED lights come with an anti-flicker module. For me, I made my own because a rodent destroyed the original wiring harness.
I forgot about that part. Some have the anti flicker stuff built in now. Mine do.

Lead K9

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Franklin Park, Illinois
First Name
Lead
Last Name
Dog
Member #

The stock headlights suck, there’s no question about it. I tried the KC replacement headlight, and it was better, but far from great. I now have JW Speaker, night and day difference, pun intended.
Sometimes you can find someone who wants totake out the stock led headlights on a ‘17 or newer to put in halos so the angry bird or Vader grill will look like it has eyes. Craigslist and Facebook marketplace may yield a set of cheap, quality lights.
Which JW Speaker headlights did you install? Amazon has a few different kits.

Thanks!

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
Which JW Speaker headlights did you install? Amazon has a few different kits.

Thanks!
I can find the box right now. But mine are not dual burn or heated. I actually got mine on Facebook marketplace with led taillights and blinkers for $300.

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

If you live in a area with a lot of snow, get the heated lens trucklite 7" led headlights.
I've got some cheap ebay headlights and they work pretty good.
In the US you can get pretty good HID headlights to.

Anchor Mtn

US Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fruita, Colorado
Member #

We run (and sell) the Procomp LED headlights for the JK. They are an LED projector style light that gives you a HUGE upgrade in output and wont blind oncoming traffic like the cheap knockoff LEDs. They are DOT approved, built in anti-flicker and a lifetime warranty.

I used the Trucklite headlights before these. They have a 3 year warranty(and I lost a low beam at 3.5 years). They also didnt put out as much usable light as the current lights and had "hotspots" in the pattern.(Spots that are brighter than others).

The JW Speaker lights are fantastic as well, but nearly double the investment of the ProComps.

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

I've been running heated Trucklites since 2013 and haven't had any problem. Way better than the stock headlights.