JKU Headlight Upgrade | OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY

JKU Headlight Upgrade

Discussion in 'Overland Vehicle Gear' started by Lead K9, Jan 4, 2019.

Hi Guest, Become a Member to gain access to the Member Forums, Member Map, Member Calendar of Events, and Rally Point overland trip planner! Click this link "Learn More" for more information!
  1. Lead K9

Lead K9 Rank III

Member #:

Map
    Hello,

I apologize if this question has been tackled in another thread that I haven't found.

I noticed the original headlights on my 2008 JKUR are not as bright as I would like them. I assume they are dimming with age. Do you recommend just swapping them with newer headlights or should I upgrade to a better setup. I was looking at some of the light packages online and the prices scared me a little bit. Do you find the cost to be worthwhile? Does it offer a big advantage?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and advice you can provide!

2. Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos Rank V
    Member Supporter +

Member #:

Ham Callsign:
    KI7TFB
    Map
    The stock headlights suck, there’s no question about it. I tried the KC replacement headlight, and it was better, but far from great. I now have JW Speaker, night and day difference, pun intended.
    Sometimes you can find someone who wants totake out the stock led headlights on a ‘17 or newer to put in halos so the angry bird or Vader grill will look like it has eyes. Craigslist and Facebook marketplace may yield a set of cheap, quality lights.

Lead K9 likes this.
  3. Jedi

Jedi NorthWest Region Representative
    Moderator Member Supporter

Member #:

Ham Callsign:
    K6JDI
    Map
    Yup, stock headlights are horrible. I changed to sealed unit LED lights from Amazon, and the difference is incredible. If you are making this change, you will need to ensure that the new LED lights come with an anti-flicker module. For me, I made my own because a rodent destroyed the original wiring harness.

Bucksoverland and Lead K9 like this.
  4. Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos Rank V
    Member Supporter +

Member #:

Ham Callsign:
    KI7TFB
    Map
    I forgot about that part. Some have the anti flicker stuff built in now. Mine do.

Lead K9 likes this.
  5. Lead K9

Lead K9 Rank III

Member #:

Map
    Which JW Speaker headlights did you install? Amazon has a few different kits.

Thanks!

6. Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos Rank V
    Member Supporter +

Member #:

Ham Callsign:
    KI7TFB
    Map
    I can find the box right now. But mine are not dual burn or heated. I actually got mine on Facebook marketplace with led taillights and blinkers for $300.

7. Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos Rank V
    Member Supporter +

Member #:

Ham Callsign:
    KI7TFB
    Map
  8. Lead K9

Lead K9 Rank III

Member #:

Map
  9. jkxj

jkxj Rank I

Map
    i went with the truklites. i have put them on 2 jeeps now, couldnt be happier. not really big into the halo and the weird looking ones. the truklites work for me.

10. MazeVX

MazeVX Rank IV

Member #:

Map
    If you live in a area with a lot of snow, get the heated lens trucklite 7" led headlights.
    I've got some cheap ebay headlights and they work pretty good.
    In the US you can get pretty good HID headlights to.

Lead K9 likes this.
  11. Fellow Jeeper

Fellow Jeeper Rank III

Map
    Also have the trucklites.

CCTX50 and Lead K9 like this.
  12. Anchor Mtn

Anchor Mtn Rank III

Member #:

Map
    We run (and sell) the Procomp LED headlights for the JK. They are an LED projector style light that gives you a HUGE upgrade in output and wont blind oncoming traffic like the cheap knockoff LEDs. They are DOT approved, built in anti-flicker and a lifetime warranty.

I used the Trucklite headlights before these. They have a 3 year warranty(and I lost a low beam at 3.5 years). They also didnt put out as much usable light as the current lights and had "hotspots" in the pattern.(Spots that are brighter than others).

The JW Speaker lights are fantastic as well, but nearly double the investment of the ProComps.

chithead and Lead K9 like this.
  13. Lead K9

Lead K9 Rank III

Member #:

Map
    Why are LEDs so expensive? Looks like they are probably the way to go, but I really don't want to pay that much. :openmouth:

14. CCTX50

CCTX50 Rank II

Member #:

Map
  15. toxicity_27

toxicity_27 Rank V

Member #:

Map
    I've been running heated Trucklites since 2013 and haven't had any problem. Way better than the stock headlights.