Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Like an iphone.... it just works with zero effort.
Cutting edge technology. I only use it to boil water, make coffee. There are better choices for actual cooking....
But if you are back packing or overlanding on 2 wheels. As a kitchen when light weight counts it is one of the best choices, only a white gas stove beats it.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I don’t get the “boils in 2 minutes “ advertising campaing. Each morning, here at home, I get my coffee going, an old fashioned stainless steel 14 cup percolater, atop a 20,000 BTU gas burner. It’ll start perking in maybe, 5 minutes. Then I move it to the simmer burner to slowly perk a long while more. All things relative, BTUs and volume of water; will this thing boil water any quicker than my MSR? If so how much water? As most pack food take 2 cups of water.
That 6000 pound overlander is why you don't get it.
And you have a habit which means you like what yer used to using like.....
R.ded7a4c04396892c47e90856f736f6c1.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: MOAK

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

Ohhh ok, gotcha. Thanks for the clarification! Not sure if l will go the flexible route as I do a lot of winter/cold weather camping. My current hose was so rigid my last trip (mid January) that I had to put under all but my base layer for about 15 minutes just so it would be pliable again. I’ll do some research, but thanks for the recommendation!
Let us know what you find. I would like a hose that is flexible in cold weather. I’m not sure if the metal braided ones are any better.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
View attachment 222682
You sir are correct! I’m also a very skeptical curmudgeon about all OVERLANDING things new and their advertising campaigns. If only they would have said, boils a gallon of water in 2 minutes, then ida been sold. LOL Sometimes stuff is like a crappy neighbor, at least you know what ya got! BTW, 7,000 lb loaded with trailer..

Reactions: MiamiC70

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

Jetboil has nothing to do with overlanding, nor do they really market in that way.
Yep, and their campstove system does way more than boil water in a few minutes. The stove has a very fine flame control. Plus, it’s super compact. Is that not a good thing for overlanding? Space is a premium in my rig.

pcstockton

Rank III

Advocate I

Portland, OR
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
S
Yep, and their campstove system does way more than boil water in a few minutes. The stove has a very fine flame control. Plus, it’s super compact. Is that not a good thing for overlanding? Space is a premium in my rig.
I was just responding to the post above mine. They are sure great for overlanding.

I have a Flash and the Genesis Basecamp. The latter is a game changer for a camping stove.

Reactions: Tundracamper

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

HAH! you peoples got me to thinking, talking about the fire/wood gathering bans and my Kelly Kettle. Surly to get worse in the climate change era. Soooooo............I made an adapter to use my Coleman single burner white gas stove with my Kelly Kettle. I could also be used for a number of other single burner type stoves.

DSCF9320.JPG

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
well, just like everything else...i just wait for the chinese knock-off version to show up on amazon for $19

LET'S GO, BEZOS! :grinning:

Last edited:
Reactions: MiamiC70

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Well ya, as I stated, usually at least 2 cups boiling water per bag. I get it.. our msr uses gasoline or Coleman fuel or denatured alcohol . Question was, how much water in 2 minutes?
2 liters

Reactions: MOAK

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
View attachment 222682
Ah, sadly I do get it. I referred to my MSR dragonfly, which I dare say will boil 2 liters of water in 2 min 10 seconds +/- depending on elevation. What I don’t get is the urgency to break the 2 minute barrier. 6,000 lb? I wish LOL

Reactions: Advtres

Overlanding Lawyer

Rank IV

Advocate II

Fayetteville, GA, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Kirkbride
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1EOD
Service Branch
Army
Sorry if I’m out of the loop but…someone please explain what is the big deal about Jet Boil?
I’ve never had the opportunity to use one so I’m just curious. Enlighten me.
I like mine as a quick boil, or secondary stove, best bet is to look for a used one, throw in your kit… my two cents. Stay safe - Tom

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
I gave mine away free to a car camping couple. (Didnt want to give it to a hiker)

Because a Pepsi can stove, 3 sticks of coat hanger, and a rolled up sheet of aluminium works better.

Al forms a fire ring. Hole punched for the coat hanger sticks to form a triangle pot stand.

Used mostly for dehydrated foods, Idahoan mashed potatos, Lipton noodles, hot chocolate, or hot water to fill a Nalgene to keep the missus's sleeping bag warm.

Reactions: KAIONE

obchristo

Rank II

Enthusiast III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Christo
Last Name
Kuzmich
Ah, sadly I do get it. I referred to my MSR dragonfly, which I dare say will boil 2 liters of water in 2 min 10 seconds +/- depending on elevation. What I don’t get is the urgency to break the 2 minute barrier. 6,000 lb? I wish LOL
The Jetboils were originally about fuel efficiency.

Everyone get caught up in how "fast" they are, but it's really about how much fuel is consumed per boil. Once you hit about 4 days on a backpacking trip with 2 people, Jetboils start to make sense from a weight pespective as the weight of the additional stuff that is on them becomes lighter than the addtional fuel a traditional lightweight cannister stove/pot setup would consume or even a alcohol stove (with the exception of the Caldera Cone). Compared to the relatively heavy Dragonfly- the weight savings is even sooner.

Liquid Fuel Stoves still rule in the snowmelting or "need to run whatever flammable liquid I can find" situation, but fuel efficiency is not their strong suit- the ability to throw large amounts of heat at the pot is (although a Dragonfly is probably the best simmering liquid fuel stove I have ever used).

As a system, the Jetboils offer convinience with everything being designed to fit inside the cooking vessel. I mainly use my smaller ones as coffee makers these days.

pcstockton

Rank III

Advocate I

Portland, OR
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
S
I gave mine away free to a car camping couple. (Didnt want to give it to a hiker)

Because a Pepsi can stove, 3 sticks of coat hanger, and a rolled up sheet of aluminium works better.

Al forms a fire ring. Hole punched for the coat hanger sticks to form a triangle pot stand.

Used mostly for dehydrated foods, Idahoan mashed potatos, Lipton noodles, hot chocolate, or hot water to fill a Nalgene to keep the missus's sleeping bag warm.
I dont buy that for a second. You did not give it away. Calling BS on that.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Why? It's a worthless heavy piece of kit for hiking.

I'm about to give away a well cared for 2002 Honda crf450r, free and clear. Just needs the carb cleaned and the valves replaced. Suspension and wheels are 100%. Body, seat, and grips are brand new. Need garage space for possibly a exc500 six days.

Trail majik is different on the east coast and midwest. We're not as savage as the west coast.

Reactions: grubworm