Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
The Jetboils were originally about fuel efficiency.

Everyone get caught up in how "fast" they are, but it's really about how much fuel is consumed per boil. Once you hit about 4 days on a backpacking trip with 2 people, Jetboils start to make sense from a weight pespective as the weight of the additional stuff that is on them becomes lighter than the addtional fuel a traditional lightweight cannister stove/pot setup would consume or even a alcohol stove (with the exception of the Caldera Cone). Compared to the relatively heavy Dragonfly- the weight savings is even sooner.

Liquid Fuel Stoves still rule in the snowmelting or "need to run whatever flammable liquid I can find" situation, but fuel efficiency is not their strong suit- the ability to throw large amounts of heat at the pot is (although a Dragonfly is probably the best simmering liquid fuel stove I have ever used).

As a system, the Jetboils offer convinience with everything being designed to fit inside the cooking vessel. I mainly use my smaller ones as coffee makers these days.
Ok then! Thanks for this fine explanation! Fuel savings & weight.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I dont buy that for a second. You did not give it away. Calling BS on that.
It might be a long line of BS, but I’ve no doubt that Midohio gave that away, along with a crapton of other stuff over the years. Hells bells, I give stuff to people all the time. Ya just can’t take it with you, and I’d feel crummy selling it to anyone. I got my use out of it, let someone else have at it. Just off the top of my head? Two good tents, a very fine Lawnboy mower, a cool Coleman lantern, a Yeti ice chest, money, the list is long- I don’t give a dime to big business charities. Guys like midohio and I give to individuals and or small local charities. Sadly, your comment would lead one to believe that you’ve never given anyone anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: MidOH