Launch Member

Traveler III

Hayden, Idaho, United States
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Jacobson
Member #

Sorry if I’m out of the loop but…someone please explain what is the big deal about Jet Boil?
I’ve never had the opportunity to use one so I’m just curious. Enlighten me.

Reactions: Coreymol

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
back in my backpacking days, I had a MSR whisperlite. it had 2 settings, blow-torch or off. I think the single burner jet-boil is like that. However, jet-boil is a brand and they do make a dual burner stove set-up, and cookware.

pcstockton

Rank III

Advocate I

Portland, OR
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
S
We do carry one in our land cruiser. Very easy, very very quick.

Very quick hot water, good for those "quick meals" who just need hot water, good for a fast first cup of coffee.

Essential gear if you are cooking with gasoline with is very slow. Dont buy if you are allready using a gas based cooker.

No replacement for an coleman dual fuel cooker, because you cant really cook with that device. It is one of this devices, you dont stop using if you own them.

trippin
Jetboil makes various models. Some just boil water. Some can simmer as well.

Also the Genesis Basecamp it an amazing 2 burner stove with the best range of simmer-to-full power out there. The flame adjusting knob turns a full 4 revolutions.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I just got the JetBoil MiniMo. I've put off getting one because I'm not actually backpacking, so I tend to not worry about space so much. Of course the result of that is I always have way too much stuff with me and manage to fill up considerably sized vehicles for just my crap. Also with the SoCal Teardrops or my Four Wheel Camper I have other ways to boil water. Especially with the SoCal, the cooktop was "outside" so there was really no reasonable excuse to get some other burner. With the FWC the cooktop is obviously inside, and I like to get out in the AM and hang out w/ the group, get a little fire going, etc. so I broke down and bought a MiniMo.

I have to say, I love it. Water boils in ~2min (actually less) and I got the "french press" attachment deal for it which works great. I have coffee in under 5min total hanging out outside (which is the point of Overlanding, not being in the camper, right?). It's a bit spendy, but well worth it IMHO.

-TJ

knkunz

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Kunz
Member #

back in my backpacking days, I had a MSR whisperlite. it had 2 settings, blow-torch or off. I think the single burner jet-boil is like that. However, jet-boil is a brand and they do make a dual burner stove set-up, and cookware.
I do have both. And love the dual burner stove! Compact, quick easy set up. My single burner I use for coffee or soups is pretty great as well. It is sensitive on the heat adjustment but you can get a low , medium to high heat

DadJokes

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

KY
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Kil
Service Branch
US Air Force
You should try the MSR Pocketrocket 2. I think the heat control is good for a light backpacking burner.

BlackDog1

Rank II

Enthusiast III

The Mitt
First Name
John
Last Name
C
Member #

Theres also a piece you can get to allow you to use a pot/small skillet on the jet boil burner.

Ive used my jet boil often an its great quick for coffee and dehydrated meals. Just dont cook your food in it....

Reactions: 9Mike2

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Theres also a piece you can get to allow you to use a pot/small skillet on the jet boil burner.

Ive used my jet boil often an its great quick for coffee and dehydrated meals. Just dont cook your food in it....
Mine came with that... but I'd be surprised if I ever actually try to do anything other than boil water with it. ;)

-TJ

BlackDog1

Rank II

Enthusiast III

The Mitt
First Name
John
Last Name
C
Member #

Mine came with that... but I'd be surprised if I ever actually try to do anything other than boil water with it. ;)

-TJ
yeah it boils great water for coffee or tea. I took mine back packing once but I think its too much for that. The MSR stuff s great for packing.

Reactions: 9Mike2

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Jet boil has great marketing. It takes me 3.5 mins to boil water, I feel bad I didn't save 2.5 mins. I perk my coffee, being able to turn the stove so it doesn't boil over is important to me. Also I like making good food with sauces so flame control is important.

200LC

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Henderson, NV, USA
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Hord
Member #

I put off buying one for awhile finally purchased one a couple months ago and use it all the time, boils water in less than 2 min, very compact and lightweight. I also have the French press and the attachment to set a small pot or pan on top love it, it's so convenient and quick

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

I have a jetboil and i use it alot since i go out fishing too and the space it takes up is the smaller than a 1lb propane tank. When im out I can make noodles and coffee if needed.

Ryan Ewbank

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Alabama
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Ewbank
Member #

I have used a jet boil for 6 years driving a 18 wheeler, it has been kicked around, stept on, been sunk in a water crossing 4 wheeling, bent back in to shape time after time and it still works. I cook hotdogs and noodles, coffee and anything else I can fit in it. It is well worth the money

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I don’t get the “boils in 2 minutes “ advertising campaing. Each morning, here at home, I get my coffee going, an old fashioned stainless steel 14 cup percolater, atop a 20,000 BTU gas burner. It’ll start perking in maybe, 5 minutes. Then I move it to the simmer burner to slowly perk a long while more. All things relative, BTUs and volume of water; will this thing boil water any quicker than my MSR? If so how much water? As most pack food take 2 cups of water.

Reactions: MMc

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
They are made for the backpacking crowd who also use boiled water to rehydration dried food packs.
Well ya, as I stated, usually at least 2 cups boiling water per bag. I get it.. our msr uses gasoline or Coleman fuel or denatured alcohol . Question was, how much water in 2 minutes?

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

The jetboil flash will boil 2 cups of water in less than 2 min. Then when you pour the hot water into whatever you needed for you can wipe it dry and pack it up it in less than 2 min.

200LC

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Henderson, NV, USA
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Hord
Member #

@MOAK I can tell you that I use my Jet Boil everyday and it boils 2 cups of water in about a 1-1/2 to 2 minutes it's no advertising campaign it's real life use it's so convenient that I gave up my kurig for home use. Nothing like fresh coffee beans ground minutes before I dump in the raging boiling water and then give it the French Press after about a 4 minute weight, great cup of coffee first thing in morning.

Reactions: MOAK