Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I think the topic, while valid, is being over thought. Yes, storing drinking water long term in plastic can lead to leeching issues, BUT.... if a person flushes the container before each use and fills fresh before a trip, It's not going to be an issue in the day or days the water is sitting there.

To be honest, I'll take a little leeched water over dead from thirst.....
I agree. We're trying to reduce as much plastic usage as possible in our home, and this was one concern initially. It is overthought for sure. I doubt much will happen in the way of consuming plastic leeched water. I initially thought there would be an easier solution, but this thread proved there isn't too many options out there. I think I'll continue using what I have and upgrade to scepter mil spec and/or Roto-pax when I get my spare tire carrier

Reactions: John~SWNM

OtherOrb

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flagstaff, AZ
First Name
Moses
Last Name
H
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7QIF
You might consider getting a couple of used pony kegs. Remove the interior pipe, mount the keg upside down and attach a small stainless tap line. $40 to $50 for a used 5-gallon keg, light weight, easy to clean, easy to fill, and if you're really ambitious, you can even hook up your CO2 tank and have carbonated water.

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
You might consider getting a couple of used pony kegs. Remove the interior pipe, mount the keg upside down and attach a small stainless tap line. $40 to $50 for a used 5-gallon keg, light weight, easy to clean, easy to fill, and if you're really ambitious, you can even hook up your CO2 tank and have carbonated water.
that's honestly not a bad idea!

Reactions: OtherOrb

OtherOrb

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flagstaff, AZ
First Name
Moses
Last Name
H
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7QIF
that's honestly not a bad idea!
If you have a university in your town, you can probably find a perfectly serviceable "kegerator" by the dumpster at the end of the school year...
But, if you need it sooner, ebay has thousands of the soda kegs for sale for $30 to $50 each.

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

That's actually not the worst idea I've ever heard. I actually have three sitting in my basement from my home brewing days. The pressure and liquid hoses are a quick connect style. One could easily modify it for use without pressure. Set it up so one is the vent, the other has a hose and a party tap on it and there you go. Mount it on its side, easy peazy...

F_J_Cruiser

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

San Francisco, CA, USA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Alvarado
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZSW
I agree. We're trying to reduce as much plastic usage as possible in our home, and this was one concern initially. It is overthought for sure. I doubt much will happen in the way of consuming plastic leeched water. I initially thought there would be an easier solution, but this thread proved there isn't too many options out there. I think I'll continue using what I have and upgrade to scepter mil spec and/or Roto-pax when I get my spare tire carrier

F_J_Cruiser

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

San Francisco, CA, USA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Alvarado
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZSW
I recently purchased Scepter water cans from Amazon and will be drilling a hole on bottom of cans to add a water spout (gravity fed) to make it easy to get water out instead of lifting the cans from the rear bar water mount. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to do this without ruining the can and having water leaks?

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
I recently purchased Scepter water cans from Amazon and will be drilling a hole on bottom of cans to add a water spout (gravity fed) to make it easy to get water out instead of lifting the cans from the rear bar water mount. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to do this without ruining the can and having water leaks?
I've done it to several cans . I believe I posted some pictures on this thread. You will have to drill holes in the can to accomplish what you want

Reactions: F_J_Cruiser

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

If you have the keg, keep it complete. park it right side up, use a compressor and you have a full pressurized water system.
But keep the keg out of sight or someones gonna be disappointed when they steal it.

Last edited:

John~SWNM

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Las Cruces, New Mexico, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Holloway
Member #

Really, during the course of a few days the amount of leaching is next to zero. Long term storage is another thing altogether, but for our purposes while out & about, with the water from the containers being used & refilled often I dont see an issue.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
I've done it to several cans . I believe I posted some pictures on this thread. You will have to drill holes in the can to accomplish what you want
I thought there were some spigot systems that screwed onto the cap, and allowed use, without drilling. Check around before using a drill.

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Really, during the course of a few days the amount of leaching is next to zero. Long term storage is another thing altogether, but for our purposes while out & about, with the water from the containers being used & refilled often I dont see an issue.
That's a good point.

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
there's a handpump mod that can be done and only requires drilling into the cap if I'm not mistaken. Might be a better route to go and you'd avoid the possibility of leaks