Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
What does everyone use for a drinking water jerry can? I'm hoping to find something that isn't made from plastic at an affordable price. My concern is with the plastic that everything is made with. BPA-free, phthalate-free, etc. I just know that after some use and time in the sun, it all starts to break down and possibly leech into the drinking water, and that's something I'd like to avoid if at all possible.

Welding Goats

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Midland, TX, USA
First Name
Ronn
Last Name
Reeger
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRXB227
I would suggest looking at Scepter water cans for a BPA-free, jerry can design. Can be found on Amazon.

Affordability might be subjective though, for some of their products.

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Ankeny, IA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

I also vote for the scepter cans. I think they make a 10 Liter / 2.5 gallon also, but I just have the 5 gallon / 20L type. They are pretty damn heavy when full of course. 41.7 in just water. I carry two of those and also a Front Runner plastic 20L jerry with the brass tap in it for drinking/dishes/cleanup water inside my rig. It doesn't leak enough to be an issue. I like the tap on the Front Runner for washing up and general camp use. The Sceptors tend to be used more for shower water.

Mike W

Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Ankeny, IA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

The scepter is food grade plastic. None of the metal jerry cans will be good for water, they have a painted/coating on the inside that is pretty nasty. Especially the fuel cans.

I will say that it would be kinda nice to have a stainless steel water can if it could be done. Winter camping is challenging because I have to keep my water jerry close to the fire and leave it near the coals overnight to keep it from freezing. A steel can could be a lot closer and it might be less fuss. It's amazing what freezes. Wanted to cook some small blonde potatoes for breakfast one morning and the olive oil was frozen.

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
The scepter is food grade plastic. None of the metal jerry cans will be good for water, they have a painted/coating on the inside that is pretty nasty. Especially the fuel cans.

I will say that it would be kinda nice to have a stainless steel water can if it could be done. Winter camping is challenging because I have to keep my water jerry close to the fire and leave it near the coals overnight to keep it from freezing. A steel can could be a lot closer and it might be less fuss. It's amazing what freezes. Wanted to cook some small blonde potatoes for breakfast one morning and the olive oil was frozen.
The main problem is that any of the limited options I've found will run $100 or more.

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

Having your cake and eating it too can be a difficult proposition. I have a Scepter MWC and put a spout in the bottom and mount it on my fuel can bracket on the rear bumper to allow for easy access for water. We normally use the Scepter MWC to re-fill the dog bowls (as I do have a 20 gallon fresh water tank in the camper), but the Scepter products are top notch. You could probably drive over one and not puncture or damage it. I've frozen mine solid with no issues whatsoever. If they are good enough for our Armed Forces (and yours) I have no issues drinking from mine.

Mike W

Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Ankeny, IA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

Having your cake and eating it too can be a difficult proposition. I have a Scepter MWC and put a spout in the bottom and mount it on my fuel can bracket on the rear bumper to allow for easy access for water. We normally use the Scepter MWC to re-fill the dog bowls (as I do have a 20 gallon fresh water tank in the camper), but the Scepter products are top notch. You could probably drive over one and not puncture or damage it. I've frozen mine solid with no issues whatsoever. If they are good enough for our Armed Forces (and yours) I have no issues drinking from mine.
I feel like I have to keep my can with the spout, the front runner, inside my vehicle. Anything on the rear bumper just gets so filthy.

Mike W

Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Ankeny, IA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

https://deutscheoptik.com/Stainless-Steel-20L-INOX-NATO-Jerry-Can.html Stainless Jerry cans are a thing, should you really want to not have ANY plastic in your water storage. Seeing the looks I get when I tell people my scepter's ran @$50 I'd love to see their reaction to a rack of a couple stainless jerry cans.
Wow.. that's.... that's bright. I have a strict no chrome/shiny rule for my Land Rover though.. so it would need something done to it. $200 though... ouch

Nickzero

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Dugdale
Member #

I also vote for the scepter cans. I think they make a 10 Liter / 2.5 gallon also, but I just have the 5 gallon / 20L type. They are pretty damn heavy when full of course. 41.7 in just water. I carry two of those and also a Front Runner plastic 20L jerry with the brass tap in it for drinking/dishes/cleanup water inside my rig. It doesn't leak enough to be an issue. I like the tap on the Front Runner for washing up and general camp use. The Sceptors tend to be used more for shower water.

Great looking rig!!

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Be very cool if someone like Hydroflask or DrinkTanks made a double walled, 10 or 20L SS water can!
That's what I was hoping for. Closest I can get is a 64oz jug. I have one from Klean Kanteen and love it aside from the lack of a double wall. Most companies that make a double walled version either have it and a growler, or just a growler.

Welding Goats

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Midland, TX, USA
First Name
Ronn
Last Name
Reeger
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRXB227
I thought I saw on the Dinuba site that they have something along those lines ... “coming soon”.

Welding Goats

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Midland, TX, USA
First Name
Ronn
Last Name
Reeger
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRXB227
I thought I saw on the Dinuba site that they have something along those lines ... “coming soon”.
Answered my own question... Saw on the site they have one a double-walled, 15L cylinder in the works... However, also saw that it is behind schedule.