MonkeyTrev

Rank 0

Contributor I

Oklahoma
First Name
Trevor
Last Name
Pool
I am looking at mounting two 5 Gal Jerry Cans on my Jeep TJ. I have two options I am looking at
1. Building a mount for the rear swing out bumper
2. Mounting the cans on my roof rack

If I do option 1 I lose almost all visibility out of the back window of the Jeep. Which was already pretty poor because of my spare tire. If I go with option 2 I’m concerned with the added weight up top. I wanna be able to take my Jeep anywhere and adding weight up high has be worried. I was hoping you guys could give me some wisdom on the options. The pictures show the roof rack option and the rear bumper option I am looking at building.

Attachments

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
I would say the best spot would be on either side of the spare on the tire carrier if you can. I plan on doing something similar to mine and asked myself the same questions, my spare blocks out almost my whole window anyway but my concern was the added weight on the carrier as it's only rated for a 35" tire and I have a 37" on it (Which weighs in at about 110 lbs.). if you are still running the factory carrier and hinges I would suggest beefing them up before adding more weight.

MonkeyTrev

Rank 0

Contributor I

Oklahoma
First Name
Trevor
Last Name
Pool
I would say the best spot would be on either side of the spare on the tire carrier if you can. I plan on doing something similar to mine and asked myself the same questions, my spare blocks out almost my whole window anyway but my concern was the added weight on the carrier as it's only rated for a 35" tire and I have a 37" on it (Which weighs in at about 110 lbs.). if you are still running the factory carrier and hinges I would suggest beefing them up before adding more weight.
I have a aftermarket swing out tire carrier. I am looking into doing the rear mounts now.

Reactions: Trail_pilot

MonkeyTrev

Rank 0

Contributor I

Oklahoma
First Name
Trevor
Last Name
Pool
No problem, I had built a mount that you can see in the picture that mounts the can in the drivers side of the spare tire, but I can’t mount one on the passenger side because the can blocks back glass and hits hardtop. So I’m trying to come up with a mount that goes between the body snd the spare as pictured.

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

Had them on the roof and was more concerned about spilling up there than weight. I ditched the idea of Jerry cans and went with Rotopax. This has worked out perfectly for me. It is simply a Rotopax mount plate, two RP mounts, two cans. The 3 bolts pass into the hollow lugs of the spare tire mount. I added spacers as well to keep the plate rigid.

20201118_165244.jpg20201118_165244.jpg20201118_165259.jpg

Attachments

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
Do you already have the gas cans. I'd avoid Rotopax due their price and small capacity.

You can use a bugout rack to mount two cans to your spare tire.

Or this mount

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
I sometimes carry a jerrycan at the side of the rig. Just mounted airline cargo rails and attached a jerrycan holder there. The mounting position is near the fuel cap, so it is really easy to fill the tank from the jerrycan with a hose. Maybe this solution is adequate for your use case. Will upload some pics later.

NotGumby

Local Expert Germany
Investor

Influencer II

Frankfurt, Germany
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Voth
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran 11B 54E
What else is on the roof? If we’re only talking about ~40 Kg then I would not be too worried about weight or CoG.

Reactions: M Rose

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
A long time ago, on a planet far far away, I had a Rubi and bought one of these from Warrior rack company. I was pleased with it, installing it was easy if you're handy at all, and the jerry cans didn't rattle a bit with the help of a bungee strap. It should fit behind your swing out carrier as it bolts up to the tailgate. Back then I think it was less than 200 bucks. I'm sure that price has doubled by now. I agree with the above. Two 5 gallon jerry cans will increase our range (including safety margins) by 100 miles. The rotopax system is great for motorcycles and atvs. Not so great for a vehicle that gets 10mph on the trail. IMG_0396.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Trail_pilot

MonkeyTrev

Rank 0

Contributor I

Oklahoma
First Name
Trevor
Last Name
Pool
Do you already have the gas cans. I'd avoid Rotopax due their price and small capacity.

You can use a bugout rack to mount two cans to your spare tire.

Or this mount

I can’t see the two links you posted.

MonkeyTrev

Rank 0

Contributor I

Oklahoma
First Name
Trevor
Last Name
Pool
A long time ago, on a planet far far away, I had a Rubi and bought one of these from Warrior rack company. I was pleased with it, installing it was easy if you're handy at all, and the jerry cans didn't rattle a bit with the help of a bungee strap. It should fit behind your swing out carrier as it bolts up to the tailgate. Back then I think it was less than 200 bucks. I'm sure that price has doubled by now. I agree with the above. Two 5 gallon jerry cans will increase our range (including safety margins) by 100 miles. The rotopax system is great for motorcycles and atvs. Not so great for a vehicle that gets 10mph on the trail. View attachment 183974
I like this idea a lot. Yeah, I had a guy on a Facebook page question my need for two cans of fuel. I tried to explain to him that I hope I will never need two cans of spare fuel, but I’d rather have it on that long trip and not need it; than need it and not have it.

Reactions: mep1811

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I like this idea a lot. Yeah, I had a guy on a Facebook page question my need for two cans of fuel. I tried to explain to him that I hope I will never need two cans of spare fuel, but I’d rather have it on that long trip and not need it; than need it and not have it.
Every time we visit the four corners region we have used all of our extra gasoline. One sure way to get some sad faces at camp is knowing we have to get up the next morning and head into town for more gas. So, I’m looking for a way to carry an extra 5 more for a total of 15. What I really ought to do is install a long range tank on the cruzer. We never had that option with Jeeps. Don’t worry too much about not seeing out your rear window, it’ll make a better driver out of you.

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
I can’t see the two links you posted.

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez

The web addresses are right there for you to search.