Jeep WJ Overland Build

• HTML tutorial

khorsa

Rank III

Advocate II

michigan
I have a 2000 wj but don't even know where to start. I don't k is anything about the quadratrac setup for one. About all I've done is tires and roof rack setup for my kayaks. I have a 2009 jku Rubicon that I've built. It's the second Rubicon I've built , one rock crawler and the jk is more of a overland/expedition rig. The WJ has the small V8 in it and what little wheeling I've done with it confirms it's a great platform. Where did you start with yours? How much can you lift them without causing issues with the steering etc? I need shocks but want to lift it first so I don't end up buying 2 sets. I just want it for taking the grandkids on trips with us. So a 'mild' but capable off roader is what I'm aiming for... I haven't spent much time around the Cherokees so I don't really know what they are capable of. I've seen some wild ones in my research tho...
Just remember that the WJ has the Dana 44A rearend. "A" signifying Aluminum. There are no traction devices for this pumpkin. You can still put a traction device in the Dana 30 up-front but nothing for the rear. The main reason I didn't buy one was because I would have had to swap axles.

You have the V8, just take care of it and service it regularly and it should be fine. That engine is good but doesn't compare to the I6.

As for lift, you will need a minimum of 4" and possibly some flares to jam 33s under there. And if you are doing that, then spend the dollars and go for IRO or Claytons and you should be fine. I would suggest staying away from RC, their springs sag and the quality just isn't there.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: KerrClan74

Chetta58

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Walla walla wa
First Name
Butch
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Service Branch
Navy
Thank you much for the info. Every time I think I have a plan I learn something new. I didn’t know they even made a 44A... lol It took me a year to plan out my JK and longer to plan my TJ before it so I’m in no big hurry... do it once and do it right, I hope... I keep digging and learning. If I’d make up my mind what the Cherokee’s purpose is it would help. My JK is an overland rig so I started out just wanting a rig to go snow wheeling with. I’ve always wanted to do the Rubicon and kick myself for not doing it with the TJ I built. It was purpose built for rocks and as I got into Overlanding more I tamed it down but even then it was a great crawler. It went everywhere I wanted to go in Moab (and a few places I didn’t want to go)... anyway, thanks again!

Reactions: khorsa

khorsa

Rank III

Advocate II

michigan
NP, I was searching for a while about WJs, I really really want one. They are sexy looking trucks, they have the quad coil suspension, but for some reason Jeep derped right out and stuck an aluminum pumpkin in it. I'm still not sure why when they had plenty of Dana 44s from the TJ available. It bummed me out, but then I decided to just double my money and recently bought a totally clean 06 TJ with the Dana 44 already in it.

maxfederle89

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

US
There are no traction devices for this pumpkin.
I'm sorry, not to butt in, however I am fairly sure IRO sells an Aussie Locker for the 44a. I've looked at it as a potential upgrade.

Also, I had my lift installed a day ago. IRO 3" and my initial impressions are good. It is a firmer ride and steering feels different (my first lifted vehicle). I do vicariously wonder what the 4"Critical Path kit would have been like but I'm happy.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

Sarab Loh

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Hartsdale, Ny
First Name
Deep
Last Name
Singh
Member #

how is the airaid modular tube doing for you? Throttle response or MPG wise..

I have been on the fence about getting one for years. You can also upgrade the inlet from the grill to the airbox as well.

StuntmanMike

Rank IV

Advocate II

Newport RI
Just remember that the WJ has the Dana 44A rearend. "A" signifying Aluminum. There are no traction devices for this pumpkin. You can still put a traction device in the Dana 30 up-front but nothing for the rear. The main reason I didn't buy one was because I would have had to swap axles.

You have the V8, just take care of it and service it regularly and it should be fine. That engine is good but doesn't compare to the I6.

As for lift, you will need a minimum of 4" and possibly some flares to jam 33s under there. And if you are doing that, then spend the dollars and go for IRO or Claytons and you should be fine. I would suggest staying away from RC, their springs sag and the quality just isn't there.

Hope this helps.

I disagree, I think the 4.0 is underpowered in this application and would not buy a 4.0 powered WJ. I had a 4.0 ZJ with 3.73's and 31's and it was a slug and got lowsy mileage.

FYI, I wouldn't put a locker up front with Q-Trac, perhaps a ltd slip, but it will def be a bear to drive with a front locker and AWD.

To the OP, great build!

I've always been a fan of the Grands, I had a ZJ back in the day and always thought the WJ's with the Q-Drive was a great setup.

Reactions: 04land

MoreGone

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Mesa, AZ
Member #

How do you engage it? Step on the throttle?
I've never had one but from my understanding the default is that it is locked when going straight and low speed turns. From what I understand, during high speed turns when you really wouldn't want to be locked up, the inertia during the turn allows the locker to disengage.

04land

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Washington, Morris County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Bradford
Last Name
Bell
Member #

how is the airaid modular tube doing for you? Throttle response or MPG wise..

I have been on the fence about getting one for years. You can also upgrade the inlet from the grill to the airbox as well.
Sorry for the slow response, started a new job 2 months ago.
It has been great, like i said about 1PMG gain and slight throttle response, plus it sounds great!

KerrClan74

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Portage, MI
Member #

Not trying to dig up old threads, but how is your WJ doing? I am a personal fan of them. Looks good as of your last update. I was wondering if you recall what mount you used for the Firestick. I want to mount a CB and HAM antenna and figured if you remembered it would be faster than me trying to figure it out.

04land

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Washington, Morris County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Bradford
Last Name
Bell
Member #

Not trying to dig up old threads, but how is your WJ doing? I am a personal fan of them. Looks good as of your last update. I was wondering if you recall what mount you used for the Firestick. I want to mount a CB and HAM antenna and figured if you remembered it would be faster than me trying to figure it out.
Sorry for the delay. Build has been slow as i just bought a 2018 JKU Rubicon Recon. I still haev the WJ.
This is the mount i used for the firestick.