Enthusiast III

Washington, Morris County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Bradford
Last Name
Bell
Member #

Hello Everyone.

Just recently joined the Overland Bound Family. I have been all over the forum and decided to post my progress.

I have a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland edition. I have owned a few XJ's and the wife wanted something a little more comfortable. Picked up the WJ October of last year. Been a slow start deciding what i wanted to do..

This is all stock the day i bought it.
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland.jpg

Something started to feel a little loose..... This might be the reason.
20161231_110131.jpg

Wanted to install the light bar somewhere. Without a roof rack i decided to install it between the tow hooks. In hindsight this was not a good spot once we hit the trails. So i will be moving it eventually.
20161106_134207.jpg

Was stock for a little while, got through the winter.
20170209_080918 (2).jpg

Spring rolled around and i needed some new shocks. I went with the conservative 2 inch lift from Rough Country. I love the lift, since its my DD i wanted to keep the stock springs for now for the ride comfort. I do 100 miles a day round trip to work.

Here is a shot with the lift.
20170531_200200.jpg

04land

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Bradford
Last Name
Bell
Member #

I ordered new wheels and tires. They finally arrived and put them on. Got rid of the chrome 17's and got 16x8 black steel wheels. 245 General Grabbers AT2. So far so good!
20170605_164340.jpg
20170605_165401.jpg

Installed my OB badge last week!!
20170605_175204.jpg

And a new steering damper
20170527_182016.jpg

That's all for now.

Short term plans:
Roof rack
Relocate Light bar
Paint the front grill

Chetta58

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Walla walla wa
First Name
Butch
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Service Branch
Navy
What size tires are those? I have a 2000 GC that is waiting for me to finish (as much as one is ever done) my Wrangler JK. I've done several Wranglers but the running gear on the Wj's are a mystery to me. Still trying to figure out what SHOULD be done to the Quadrtrack system, if anything.

04land

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Bradford
Last Name
Bell
Member #

What size tires are those? I have a 2000 GC that is waiting for me to finish (as much as one is ever done) my Wrangler JK. I've done several Wranglers but the running gear on the Wj's are a mystery to me. Still trying to figure out what SHOULD be done to the Quadrtrack system, if anything.

@Cheetah58. They are 245/70/16 with the 2inch lift they fit just right.

I love the look of the WJ's. Granted aftermarket parts are a little harder to find but worth it when it's done.

Sent from my SM-G955U using OB Talk mobile app

Last edited:

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
Love the Grand Cherokee as an Overland vehicle. I'm trying to talk the wife into a WK2 Diesel, as our next family get away vehicle. This would give us something, not as extreme as my JKU.

Last edited:
Reactions: 04land

04land

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Bradford
Last Name
Bell
Member #

Another little project.
Installed a CB in the WJ last night. Yes i need to vacuum the floors
20170629_080912.jpg

went with a 3' firestik off the driver side tail light.
20170628_201121.jpg
Close up shot. Ran the cable through the bumper under the jeep along the frame rail.
20170628_201105.jpg
Yes i tightened it down after this shot. still deciding if i need to go with an antenna spring or not

Next up, rear lights of the roof rack

maxfederle89

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

US
Great looking WJ! I just bought one to replace my Silverado. I really like the wheels and tires you did. What lift from RC did you do? Just the spacers or did you end up doing spacers with new shocks as well?

I'll be following your build for sure [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

04land

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Bradford
Last Name
Bell
Member #

Great looking WJ! I just bought one to replace my Silverado. I really like the wheels and tires you did. What lift from RC did you do? Just the spacers or did you end up doing spacers with new shocks as well?

I'll be following your build for sure [emoji106]

I did the RC 2in spacer lift. I do not recommend the shocks from them at all!!! Spend the extra bucks and get some nice bilstein 5100's. The spacers are nice quality though.

maxfederle89

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

US
I've always been a bit leery of RC from a quality standpoint. I figure the hardware is good but that's about it. Are you happy with a conservative lift and the 245/70/16? I bought mine with 245/75r16 on stock suspension and it doesn't rub in normal driving.

04land

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Bradford
Last Name
Bell
Member #

I've always been a bit leery of RC from a quality standpoint. I figure the hardware is good but that's about it. Are you happy with a conservative lift and the 245/70/16? I bought mine with 245/75r16 on stock suspension and it doesn't rub in normal driving.

I only rub slightly full turn left. And I think because the wheel well plastic is hanging a little.

Reactions: maxfederle89

stickel

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Las Vegas, NV
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Stickel
Member #

Nice. Got a 2003 WJ Overland this summer myself. Looking for ideas on what to do to it next as it came with a lift and tires. Subbed :smile:

Chetta58

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Walla walla wa
First Name
Butch
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Service Branch
Navy
I have a 2000 wj but don't even know where to start. I don't k is anything about the quadratrac setup for one. About all I've done is tires and roof rack setup for my kayaks. I have a 2009 jku Rubicon that I've built. It's the second Rubicon I've built , one rock crawler and the jk is more of a overland/expedition rig. The WJ has the small V8 in it and what little wheeling I've done with it confirms it's a great platform. Where did you start with yours? How much can you lift them without causing issues with the steering etc? I need shocks but want to lift it first so I don't end up buying 2 sets. I just want it for taking the grandkids on trips with us. So a 'mild' but capable off roader is what I'm aiming for... I haven't spent much time around the Cherokees so I don't really know what they are capable of. I've seen some wild ones in my research tho...

maxfederle89

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

US
I have a 2000 wj but don't even know where to start. I don't k is anything about the quadratrac setup for one. About all I've done is tires and roof rack setup for my kayaks. I have a 2009 jku Rubicon that I've built. It's the second Rubicon I've built , one rock crawler and the jk is more of a overland/expedition rig. The WJ has the small V8 in it and what little wheeling I've done with it confirms it's a great platform. Where did you start with yours? How much can you lift them without causing issues with the steering etc? I need shocks but want to lift it first so I don't end up buying 2 sets. I just want it for taking the grandkids on trips with us. So a 'mild' but capable off roader is what I'm aiming for... I haven't spent much time around the Cherokees so I don't really know what they are capable of. I've seen some wild ones in my research tho...
I'm in the process of building mine. It's a 2001 with the V8 as well. I'm going mild with just an IRO 3" lift and I don't plan on running anything bigger than 32" tires. Stock these things seem awesome and even mildly built ones seem extremely capable. Hope that helps [emoji106]

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

stickel

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Las Vegas, NV
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Stickel
Member #

The guy I bought mine from put on a 3.5" lift and 31" tires on it. Feels good on the highway and the few mild dirt roads I've been on so far. He added spacers but there were no fender modifications needed. I may have felt a little rubbing when I had the wheel completely turned to one side but it was minor and I was cranking on the wheel; backed off a little and it went away.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

pikeintheboat

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Ellettsville, Indiana
Member #

I ordered new wheels and tires. They finally arrived and put them on. Got rid of the chrome 17's and got 16x8 black steel wheels. 245 General Grabbers AT2. So far so good!
View attachment 25823
View attachment 25824

Installed my OB badge last week!!
View attachment 25825

And a new steering damper
View attachment 25826

That's all for now.

Short term plans:
Roof rack
Relocate Light bar
Paint the front grill

I like the looks of your wheels and tires. I have a stock 04 Laredo with Quadra-Trac2. Your Overland has the quadra-drive system?

Matt