JEEP VS TOYOTA

• HTML tutorial

krax

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

NC
Member #

My reading comprehension failed me and I didn't realize it was an XJ. That makes it a harder choice.

If the XJ has the 4.0 I6, and it's seven years newer than the 4Runner, I might lean toward the XJ. I had a Cherokee leave me stranded before, but that was with the 2.8L V6.

Last edited:

Milan Lazorcik

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Chula Vista
Member #

There's some chatter in this thread about 2 door Jeeps lacking space. While that is true, that's not what he's looking at. As @clmautz points out, these two vehicles are fairly comparable in size.

I'm currently a Jeep guy, but I've also had a Tacoma and have been a Toyota guy too. In fact, when I bought my Jeep, I was trying to decide between a 4dr Taco and the JKU. Between these two, I'm picking that 4.0L High Output engine. There are frame stiffeners for the XJ's unibody, but for overlanding you may not need it. I think you have a fair argument for either one, but the XJ edges the 4Runner b/c of the engine.
So what if you took out the fact there was a power difference and a big ass Cummings in both then how would you decide? Hahahah

"If it ain't broke don't fix it"

krax

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

NC
Member #

Overall reliability would be my number one deciding factor. That's everything on the vehicle. Engine, diffs, tranny, A/C, power windows, etc. Which one will require the least amount of time and money to get to a point where everything just works and you're not worried about it?

Number two deciding factor would be space and comfort. These are both utilitarian trucks, but which one do you fit into better? Which has the higher GVWR? Higher cubic feet of storage?

NV.Recon

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Reno, Nevada
Member #

I have owned both, the 4runner wins hands down in my opinion. Toyota has a reputation for reliability for a reason. And as you mentioned you like how the jeep has lots of aftermarket part availability, I would have to argue that the Toyota market is just as big with fewer "mall crawler/cute" parts to sift through. Ultimately you will probably be happy either way but once I went to a Toyota, it made up my mind for life. I have owned 4 and am already looking forward to when I can afford my next. Good luck with your decision!

OB 3319

azar

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

San Diego, CA
Member #

Oh and that's @azar's pickup next to mine!

"If it ain't broke don't fix it"
Ayyy, it's 4:00 am, but hell I'll respond. Me and Milan went to go get that rig in high hopes that it wouldn't dissapoint and it didn't. There may be a couple of body panels missing and interior being gutted, and one slight noise coming from the valve cover that I think most Toyota guys know what I'm talking about that they don't want to hear on their 20r or 22RE.yes the famous 22r killer, the timing chain guides. They may be broken but Milan who knows nothing about Toyota has a starting point of what is the most common thing to kill a 22r motor. We will get to it before our first overland adventure. In addition, one of the good things to have in your overlanding party is another vehicle similar to yours so that if you carry spare parts that they can work for both of the vehicles. Milan won't have as much room as a pickup so I will carry the bigger parts such as a axle shaft or radiator and believe me it may sound freaking crazy to carry a spare one but when your fixed bladed radiator fan slashes through it due to a water crossing (yes I know fixed fans are not really ideal) your gonna want to want one instead of playing macgyver with an egg, pepper or crimping the radiator lines with pliers. [emoji106]

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

For me it would depend on the deal, which one was loved more has the least time getting beat. Both have pluses and minuses, roll the dice or get which one pulls you. I was a fan of the 4runner until I had an electrical problem with my daughters, I was a fan of the Jeep 4.0 until I tried to get one with a manual, they do exist just not easy to find. I guess with thought I'd go for the jeep besides being more of a Toyota guy (2 land cruisers) Good luck

Chromedragon

Rank III
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Stockton, CA
Member #

What do you guys use to lubricate your muffler bearings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glad you asked I use a mixture of blinker fluid and magic blue smoke but its getting harder and harder to get the second ingredient as Microsoft has taken smoke.cxe out of the current builds of Windows.....

Reactions: Young Satchel