• HTML tutorial

Milan Lazorcik

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Chula Vista
Member #

Alright alright listen up!!

So tomorrow might be the day where I buy my off-road/overland vehicle. The question at hand is a 1986 4Runner or a 1993 Xj jeep I love the look and the available parks for the jeep oh and the power difference. For the 4 runner I love the look/ reliability and it's a stock car/// FRESH project just need some honest opinions on either one! Any of your own experiences would be amazing!

thanks in advance!

BCBrian

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Boulder Creek, CA
Member #

For an overlanding rig, the 4 Runner is a better choice. You can sleep in it if you want and it can carry more gear securely as well. While there is a huge aftermarket network for the Jeep, it is nearly as big for the 4 Runner. Also, starting with a completely stock rig allows you to build it the way you want it.

Skid plates, sliders and tires will make a huge improvement to the off road ability of the 4 Runner and would allow you to get started outfitting it to taste.

Good Luck!

Glenn

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

New Tazewell, Tennessee, USA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Cote
Member #

Alright alright listen up!!

So tomorrow might be the day where I buy my off-road/overland vehicle. The question at hand is a 1986 4Runner or a 1993 Xj jeep I love the look and the available parks for the jeep oh and the power difference. For the 4 runner I love the look/ reliability and it's a stock car/// FRESH project just need some honest opinions on either one! Any of your own experiences would be amazing!

thanks in advance!
Im a Jeep guy...BUT...for Overlanding, the jeeps have very little space in any of 2 dr models and you would need a trailer. Had you said a JKU, I would say do it but the 4runner is probably your best option right now.

kennedyma

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Member #

I just went though a similar debate but a new 4 runner vs a new JKU.
Needless to say there is a new JKU Rubi in my driveway. It is my 3rd Jeep though Jeep Blood runs deep in my veins. Either one will be a great truck and take you many great places.

For me it came down to: "It's a Jeep thing and you wouldn't understand."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

krax

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

NC
Member #

4Runner, if you're going to live out of it. It's going to feel (be) under-powered once you load it up, but it'll get you there. Keep it as stock as possible and you'll retain the reliability that Toyota is known for worldwide. You may have some rust issues with that vintage, but you may be able to address it all at once with a buy once/cry once body restoration.

The 2-door Jeep would make a fine rock/mall crawler, but it lacks interior space.

Also, I've had bad luck with Jeep/Chrysler products in terms of reliability.

Reactions: Milan Lazorcik

Trail Wonky

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Bellingham WA
Member #

It really depends on how you are going to use it. Daily driver, what level of rock crawling, lots of pavement miles. They are both awesome and capable. The 4Runner will be quieter if you don't like a lot of road noise. Good luck to you!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

clmautz

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Auburn, AL, USA
First Name
Chip
Last Name
Mautz
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4BLI
Having had both (a later 4Runner and a '94 XJ 4.0 4x4 Sport), I'd say take a close look at both.

Specs have them at about the same length (4Runner slightly longer), XJ is wider, and the 4Runner is taller by < 2 in. Specs on the vehicles are pretty similar, actually.

Here are links, in case you want to review for yourself:

https://www.ultimatespecs.com/car-specs/Jeep/5552/Jeep-Cherokee-(XJ)-40i-Auto.html
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/1986-Toyota-4Runner-Specs-c4142

Everything you ever wanted to know about the XJ:

http://www.cherokeetalk.com/forum/f64/xj-specs-everything-you-need-know-5719/

Some things to consider:

4Runner is body on frame.
XJ is unibody.

4.0L I-6 Jeep engine is legendary.
Early 4Runner is underpowered - many people do engine swaps. See youtube to watch videos all day long of V8 swaps, etc.

Both cars of this vintage - look for rust.
Look for unibody stress cracks/frame damage on the XJ. Look at the frame and body of the 4Runner for rust and damage/hard use.

Both can be lifted and turned into incredible overlanders.

I found both vehicles to be small on the interior. The Jeep had a low roof, and we were always hitting our heads getting in. Granted, we're 6'2 and 5'11 respectively (me and my wife). This may be less of an issue once lifted.

The 4Runner (my '02) looked bigger - but I found the interior to be very cramped and small. The power roll down rear window was very cool, however. But we seemed to always be rubbing shoulders and fighting for the center armrest. I always 'felt' the 4Runner should have more room inside - it's an optical illusion.

Both are very capable. Jeep XJ's are incredible - they've gone places stock that no Jeep should be able to go. :-)

I see all the time where people have problems packing and getting items out of a 2 door vehicle. It's a pain to have to crawl in to get items that are pushed back. I assume the XJ you're looking at is a 4 door - if so, the XJ gets a slight advantage here, as 4 doors makes it easier to get items in/out, where the 4Runner of this vintage is only 2 door.

I sold my 4Runner, and while it was a nice car, I didn't bond/click with it. I don't really miss it. Now, the new V8 lockable ones... hmm. They're MUCH bigger, however. And way more $$.

We both miss our XJ. In fact, I'm on my 6th Jeep, having owned 2 Cherokees (the XJ and a '11 WK2 Grand Cherokee Hemi 4x4). The rest were wranglers. I have a '16 JKU on my driveway now, which I feel is an amazing overland vehicle platform. I seem to bleed Jeep blood. :-)

Either way, with these vintage vehicles, you'll be putting money in over time to get it where you want, so look at both, and follow your heart!

Let us know what you end up with!

I'm actually considering adding an old XJ to the fleet, to have and play with. They make incredibly capable offroad toys.

Chip

clmautz

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Auburn, AL, USA
First Name
Chip
Last Name
Mautz
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4BLI
Until I joined OB I didn't know guys drove jeeps... I honestly thought it was a chick thing! Daisy Duke.

Be a man get the 4Runner!
That's just wrong... but, umm.... Daisy Duke. Yeah. Ok. I can live with that. :-P

Chip - Jeep Guy, on #6 -> the one 4Runner I had ('02) -> wasn't impressed.

Milan Lazorcik

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Chula Vista
Member #

@Milan Lazorcik
Now you know why he said this...Jeep guys will say Jeep, Yota guys will say Yota...LOL
I am a jeep guy I love me some jeep but a friend convinced me of a yota and he swears by it! Honestly I'm here for the experience I'm not here because there's a name on my car lolol I could give 2 shits what the brand is but yes I understand gotta love people's love for their brand!

"If it ain't broke don't fix it"