Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alamogordo, New Mexico
First Name
John
Last Name
Markle
Member #

Any TJ hardtop owners have a Yakima rack system installed? Wondering if any issues with the hardtop cracking or leaks developing. Thoughts during a week long overland in the CANY Maze. Plan to carry a Gazelle T3 tent, a Clam 4-sided screened shelter, and traction boards in order to clear some space/organization inside.

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
Installed the Yakima rack on my '03 TJ hardtop back in '07. Used it for a few years to haul ski's around but never had any leaks or cracking. I do not think 100lbs distributed evenly would pose a problem for the top.

Below are a few pictures post install in '07. Sorry the quality is sub-par.
P1170026.JPG
P1170031.JPG
P1170024.JPG

Reactions: Billiebob and Shamu

Shamu

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alamogordo, New Mexico
First Name
John
Last Name
Markle
Member #

E
Installed the Yakima rack on my '03 TJ hardtop back in '07. Used it for a few years to haul ski's around but never had any leaks or cracking. I do not think 100lbs distributed evenly would pose a problem for the top.

Below are a few pictures post install in '07. Sorry the quality is sub-par.
View attachment 122304
View attachment 122305
View attachment 122306
Excellent pics. Thank you for the info. I’m removing my swing out tire & Jerry can carrier in order to reduce weight (and possible yaw movements on uneven surfaces...?). Thinking about a Gobi or Garvin rack but those add weight, although redistributed. The Yakima is lighter, just worried about the lateral G while carrying the above items while off-roading.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I've used the Yakima Landing Pads, Towers and Bars for years on 3 different Wranglers, starting with a YJ. Absolutely the best system. No issues with the roof or leaking or ???

DSC_0002.jpg

I added a front bar off the bumper for 16' ladders too.

DSC_0003.jpeg

I'm not sure I would sleep in an RTT tho. I think for that kind of load I'd go for a full gobi style rack off the a-pillars and rear quarters.

Reactions: Shamu

Shamu

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alamogordo, New Mexico
First Name
John
Last Name
Markle
Member #

I've used the Yakima Landing Pads, Towers and Bars for years on 3 different Wranglers, starting with a YJ. Absolutely the best system. No issues with the roof or leaking or ???

View attachment 122552

I added a front bar off the bumper for 16' ladders too.

View attachment 122553

I'm not sure I would sleep in an RTT tho. I think for that kind of load I'd go for a full gobi style rack off the a-pillars and rear quarters.
Is the Bud can an option for increased load bearing?
Thanks! No RTT. Just to carry a Gazelle T3 ground tent, a Clam 4-sided screen tarp/shelter (small, enough for 2 w/chairs, table, cooler, mini bar...), and traction boards. Combined weight is probably slightly less than your ladders.

Marco4X4

Rank 0

Contributor I

Gran Canaria, Spain
First Name
Marco
Last Name
Meienberg