Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
DeBow
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4QQB
I have a NoBo 10.5 trailer and I would like to run the same wheels that I have on my 2018 Jeep Rubicon. The trailer has Lippert torsion axle’s with six lug 10” drum. I’m thinking I would have to go with a 6 to 5 lug adapter. Has anyone successfully done this. This would give me 2 additional spares.

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
When I built my trailer and ordered the axle, I ordered the drums with the lug pattern (5 on 5 1/2) I needed to match my Willys. It's been nice to have 4 extra spare tires (one in the Willys ad the 3 on the trailer) when I'm out on the middle of nowhere.

Have you looked to see of you can just change the brake drums on the trailer to the bolt pattern you need? Are you planning a spare on the trailer too?

Reactions: 9Mike2

DeBo3359

Rank II

Off-Road Ranger I

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
DeBow
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4QQB
I did look at changing the drums with a 5 lug pattern but the problem is with the axel. It sticks out too far to mount the Jeep wheel. I have found a hub adapter that’s 6 lug to 5 lug, but I think it would need to be thick enough for the face where the wheel mounts to be almost flush with the end of the axel.

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
I did look at changing the drums with a 5 lug pattern but the problem is with the axel. It sticks out too far to mount the Jeep wheel. I have found a hub adapter that’s 6 lug to 5 lug, but I think it would need to be thick enough for the face where the wheel mounts to be almost flush with the end of the axel.
If changing the drum pushes the wheel out too far what wouldn't adding a hub adapter do the same thing? Swapping the drum shouldn't change anything as the 5 and 6 lug should be the same thickness, all you're changing is the number of lugs.

DeBo3359

Rank II

Off-Road Ranger I

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
DeBow
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4QQB
The issue is the Jeep wheel won’t fit over the axel. It extends past the wheel about an 1-1/2”. It’s not a problem with the wheel on the trailer now as they have about a 2” hole for the axel to go thru with a chrome cover over it. So I would have to use a thick enough adapter to clear the axel.

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
I'm having a hard time understanding what you're talking about any chance you can shoot a pic so I can understand better?

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I th
I'm having a hard time understanding what you're talking about any chance you can shoot a pic so I can understand better?
I think he is saying the center of the Jeep wheel is smaller diameter than the trailer hub OD, so the Jeep wheel is bottoming out on the hub before it makes contact with the drum.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I have a NoBo 10.5 trailer and I would like to run the same wheels that I have on my 2018 Jeep Rubicon. The trailer has Lippert torsion axle’s with six lug 10” drum. I’m thinking I would have to go with a 6 to 5 lug adapter. Has anyone successfully done this. This would give me 2 additional spares.
check with the manufacturer they might have hob options to fit your wheel and you might need to widen/narrow the track, any good machine/truck/spring shop should be able to do that. I'm doing the same thing this spring, going from 15 to 16 rims and I'll need to widen the axle 5" to make up fot the different offset. My local truck shop can do it in an hour, thankfully my truck/trailer have the same bolt pattern.

If push comes to shove.... just get a new axle built.

Last edited:

DeBo3359

Rank II

Off-Road Ranger I

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
DeBow
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4QQB
Here is the way the lippert axel’s configured. And the Jeep wheel. As you can see I’ll need and adapter with an offset to clear the axel hub.

kwill

Rank II

Enthusiast III

TX
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Williams
I'm not familiar with that axle manufacturer but some (e.g. Dexter) will sell you replacement hubs so that you won't need an adapter. I would check with Lippert.

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
I ran into the same issue with my home built trailer and Land Rover wheels. I wasn’t adapting 6 to 5 lug, but the center bore of the wheel didn’t fit over the trailer hub. You’re going to need spacers wether you swap out to hubs or not. You can have custom adapters made that will be hub centric on both the axle and your wheels. You could have the wheels bored out, as mentioned, but that would pretty much destroy the value of them as Jeep wheels

Reactions: 64Trvlr

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
I ran into the same issue with my home built trailer and Land Rover wheels. I wasn’t adapting 6 to 5 lug, but the center bore of the wheel didn’t fit over the trailer hub. You’re going to need spacers wether you swap out to hubs or not. You can have custom adapters made that will be hub centric on both the axle and your wheels. You could have the wheels bored out, as mentioned, but that would pretty much destroy the value of them as Jeep wheels
Or just go to a wheel with the correct hub diameter and offset.

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
Or just go to a wheel with the correct hub diameter and offset.
Of course, but it sounds like he’s already got the wheels and wants them to be useable on both the trailer and the Jeep. That’s why I did what I did, the same rims on both trailer and vehicle.

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
Of course, but it sounds like he’s already got the wheels and wants them to be useable on both the trailer and the Jeep. That’s why I did what I did, the same rims on both trailer and vehicle.
I understand it was just one more option.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I understand it was just one more option.
Sounds like the weight of one of them is on the hub (usually the larger diameter hole) whereas the weight of the other is being carried on the lugs. (Very different lug nuts as well and smaller hub hole)

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I agree, same rims all around, maybe just change the whole axle out. Price it. It might be reasonable then you can sell the Lippert thing complete with rims and tires. Adapters tend to be outrageously priced. Changing the entire axle is a seamless solution.

Reactions: 64Trvlr