• HTML tutorial

PanCan Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer III

Elk River, MN, USA
Member #

Hey all!
Just thought I'd post a couple pics of the sleeping platform I made (V1.0) for my 2010 Jeep JKU Rubicon.

I don't have a RTT or Trailer - or even a Tent for that matter, and was invited to a weekend trip to Superior National Forest in Northern MN. I had 3 days to prepare for the trip so I had to come up with something quick!

Looking around the garage I grabbed 3 pieces of 2x4 I had laying around, went to the hardware store and picked up a 4x8 piece of 1/2" MDF particle board, some Rustolium Spray on BedLiner and proceeded to work out the size of platform I needed to fit the back of the Jeep.

Because my vehicle is a daily driver, and I have kids still in the house, it was important that I retain the back seats. I folded them down and threw a level between the top edge (where the top of the seat would be when in its normal position) of the back seats and figured out the angle to make the platform level. It turned out a 2x4 on its edge was nearly perfect to be level from the top of the folded seat to the back of the vehicle.

I began cutting to fit.

Basically the platform sits on 3 2x4's - installed on edge and the edge of the folded down back seat. This creates a small space under the platform to the rear - which turned out was perfect to fit my camping stove, some recovery gear, small shovel, recovery strap and maintained (albeit a little challenged) access to the inverted storage space in the rear of the vehicle. A perfect solution for me in a quick pinch!

Last thing I needed was something to sleep on. I looked around for a roll of foam or memory foam. I stopped at JoAnn Fabrics locally and found a roll of foam that would be suitable. Then I looked at the price of said foam and put it back on the shelf. As it turns out, earlier in the week my wife and I had been looking for furniture and I recalled a single bed I rested on while she made some furniture choices... Hmmm... Would it fit?

The mattress is a memory foam, single bed mattress. The foam I looked at was $70.00 for a roll. I needed at least 2 rolls for the comfort I wished to achieve... $140.00. The mattress was $200.00 and was a full sized, single memory foam mattress (vs general foam rolls). To me the extra $60.00 was a no brainer if it would fit.

So, I picked up the mattress and a 1970's electric carving knife my parents had (that still worked and was in it's original box!) and began cutting the mattress to fit. I needed to remove about 10" from the end and carve it in a way to fit the contour of the rear door of the Jeep. Custom fit. Score!

All In I have about $220.00 invested. I kept the end of the mattress so if I wanted I could reattach it and reuse it as an actual bed mattress for my son or sleep over guests.

This platform has many uses beyond the sleeping platform I originally designed it for. I'm able to remove it fairly easily by turning it on its edge and sliding it in our out the rear of the Jeep. I've used it for in-Jeep sleeping, hauling wheels and tires, storage and additional supplies for a couple of trips I've made since building it, and when not in use, I simply lean it against an area I have for my Jeep stuff in the garage. It's been a great little DIY project that has been more beneficial than I originally intended!

I don't know the dimensions off the top of my head, but if you're interested I'd be happy to step out and measure pieces and parts.

I call this V1.0 as I intend to rebuild the platform again - this time with a little more planning (than 3 days) and some different materials, techniques, etc. I've researched since building it. Stay tuned for V1.1 or V2.0 depending on how different the next iteration is!

Enjoy! Let me know of any questions you may have!

Bryan

Attachments

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

That is pretty sweet. when you use it, do you loose your rear seat use for the trip? I made something similar for my Xj, I plan on doing a mattress for on top like you have. But the way I made it, it does require me removing the bottom part of the rear seat. I don't have young kids at home but I still would like to retain the rear seat. Really don't see a way to have it both ways with out making it very cramped.

Very nice that you can stow some of your camping gear. can't wait till you do your second platform. Like to see what you come up with.

Reactions: PanCan Overland

PanCan Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer III

Elk River, MN, USA
Member #

That is pretty sweet. when you use it, do you loose your rear seat use for the trip? I made something similar for my Xj, I plan on doing a mattress for on top like you have. But the way I made it, it does require me removing the bottom part of the rear seat. I don't have young kids at home but I still would like to retain the rear seat. Really don't see a way to have it both ways with out making it very cramped.

Very nice that you can stow some of your camping gear. can't wait till you do your second platform. Like to see what you come up with.
Thank you for the question! Yes, The platform butts up to the head rests of the folded back seat(s). One thing about the JKU rear seats is that they don't fold completely flat, so as there is storage underneath (its 4"), it wouldn't be by design if the seats were flat when folded. I do lose both rear seats functionality when the platform is in, but often I'm a solo adventurer (in my vehicle) so it isn't that much of a loss to me. As I needed to retain the rear seats for everyday accommodation of kids, groceries, and friends who (like a child) want to go for rides, I built the platform to be able to retain the rear seats and function as a sleeping platform (primarily).

One additional thing I lose is the ability to pack AND sleep. What I mean by that, is the platform is a sleeping platform first and storage or packing of gear second. At the moment, when I utilize the platform with mattress for sleeping, I pack all of my gear ON TOP of the mattress (usually on a folding table I bring on my trips). Not an ideal situation when I arrive at camp or destination for the night as I need to figure out where the gear (supplies, food, cooler/fridge, etc.) goes for the night. I intend to address that in V2.0.

In retrospect for design, perhaps a taller storage space underneath would help with additional - real - storage of gear AND supplies. Alternatively a shelf above the foot of the bed/mattress would help with packing supplies and retain ability to sleep, tucking feet under the interior shelf. Incidentally, the interior shelf would be permanently mounted, and the seats would maintain their ability to fold into their functional position upright. This would actually present a problem in this particular design as when I remove (or install) the sleeping platform, It requires that I turn it vertical to take it out or put it in through the back door. but these are items high on the list to address in V2.0.

Hope that answers your questions! Thanks for your interest!
B

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

I really think for just me or me and my wife the platform will work very well. I (myself) got to go down to Ouray for 4 days and three nights. It worked great, dispersed camping so nice. But each time I have camped in it I see this or that would improve it. I think that the best thing I could do a memory foam mattress cut to fit like you have done would make it so much better. Those camping pads just don't cut it.

Hope you get to take it on several outing and can't wait to see some reports!

Jedi

Rank VI
Staff member
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Ferndale, WA USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McClory
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6JDI
I am planning to do something similar, but with the problems you site in mind. Have you seen the folding bed platform on JK-Forums.com? Here is a link to it.

That helps with addressing storage and providing seating while driving... but my ultimate solution is a roof rack.

JKScofield

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

17812 Regentview Ave. Bellflower, Ca 90706
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Scofield
Member #

I have an air mattress from a recently started company called DeepSleep4Jeeps... nice thick air mattress that fits in perfectly. Just slide the front seats forward, fold the back seats and cover anything that may poke a hole and sleep on air all night. Check ‘em out:)

PanCan Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer III

Elk River, MN, USA
Member #

I am planning to do something similar, but with the problems you site in mind. Have you seen the folding bed platform on JK-Forums.com? Here is a link to it.

That helps with addressing storage and providing seating while driving... but my ultimate solution is a roof rack.
Wow! Thats awesome! That's a great solution to retaining the folding seats! Lots of inspiration for V2.0! Thanks for sharing the link!
"The biggest room in the world is the room for improvement"

Reactions: Bomber Bash

PanCan Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer III

Elk River, MN, USA
Member #

I have an air mattress from a recently started company called DeepSleep4Jeeps... nice thick air mattress that fits in perfectly. Just slide the front seats forward, fold the back seats and cover anything that may poke a hole and sleep on air all night. Check ‘em out:)
Yes, there are a few air mattresses out there for the back of JKU's. My experience with air mattresses is that eventually they leak. Further, in different elevations they deflate as well. While its a great compact solution, for me comfort is more important and the memory foam works well for that - for me.

I have a couple of tent mattresses that I tried in the Jeep for a few outings, but found the fragility of the mattresses a concern.

This particular platform was a quick solution (remember - threw it together in a few hours with 3 days notice), durable, functional, and I've only since realized the additional function!

V2.0 is certainly more thought out, taking in considerations and inspiration from ideas guys like you share! (Thank you!)

B

Reactions: JDGreens

jasgwoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rocky Top, TN
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Woods
Member #

Thanks for sharing this. My cousin has a 4 dr and was talking about doing something very similar. I will be sure to share this with him.

PanCan Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer III

Elk River, MN, USA
Member #

Thanks for sharing this. My cousin has a 4 dr and was talking about doing something very similar. I will be sure to share this with him.
I recently took dimensions and made a Sketchup diagram. Let me know if you want it. This was a couple hour build - no time at all, and I only had 3 days to get something set up for a weekend trip. Super easy, maybe 30.00 in materials (less if you have em laying around in your garage).

jasgwoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rocky Top, TN
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Woods
Member #

I recently took dimensions and made a Sketchup diagram. Let me know if you want it. This was a couple hour build - no time at all, and I only had 3 days to get something set up for a weekend trip. Super easy, maybe 30.00 in materials (less if you have em laying around in your garage).
Yeah, I'd definitely be interested in seeing the diagram! Thanks!

seven_slot_overland

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Awesome setup. I am looking at building something similar to it sounds like what you have in mind for version 2. I want to build it up high enough that I have ample storage underneath so I do not have to take a bunch of stuff out and either put it on the roof or outside when camping. I also plan to build mine where the rear seats are completely removed and I can place a cooler or fridge behind one of the front seats on the ground and have the platform high enough where it will go over top of the cooler. I stole that idea from this video:
Overall killer setup! Can't wait to see what you end up with version 2!