Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Pascagoula, MS
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Conner
Member #

Look up the rhino rack backbone kit for the jk wranglers. They make it for the 2 door or 4 door. Once you attach the tent to the platform you can remove the whole platform fairly easily and leave just the mounts as you mentioned. There's a version with quick disconnect mounts and a version with just bolts like I have but I love it so far and plan to mount a tent in the next month or so.
Awesome. Thanks for the info!

2005 Jeep Wrangler
2005 GMC Sierra
2014 Jeep Wrangler

OB#4392

NW David

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gig Harbor, WA
Member #

Right now, I wouldn't bet a paycheck that it would protect my engine. I am an engineer and I have not been too excited about it since I got it. I am working on modifying it to increase my faith in it.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
Right on. Thanks. Prolly fine for puddle play just deep crossings. Does that kit extend the breather tubes too?

jscusmcvet

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Carolina
First Name
John
Last Name
Caliri
Member #

Service Branch
USMC Veteran
LJ big creek.jpg
Been a Jeep guy for 28 years or so... currently...
2005 LJ Rubicon - Pretty well fully skidplate underneath.... and a few other things. This was on 2.5" lift with 33x12.50 tires. I have settled it back down to 235/85/16's and am now sitting on 3" Nth degree springs, it is my dd/camper toter/work around the farm/hunting, etc... vehicle :-)

We are the Millers

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Murrieta, CA
First Name
Gregory
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6VXV
Right on. Thanks. Prolly fine for puddle play just deep crossings. Does that kit extend the breather tubes too?
No this kit does not extend the breathers. I have the intake crammed in with the dual batteries and this is causing much of my concerns. I really got it for the desert runs to try and keep as much dust out of the filter as possible. It is good for that.

Reactions: 9Mike2

Jeepney

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

MN
Great looking setups, guys. Do any of y'all know of a somewhat quick detach rack/cage system for a four door? I would really like to use a RTT on my wife's 4 door, but it wouldn't clear the carport with anymore height to it, and she's not keen on leaving one on it all the time. I think if I could find a system that I could pull off and just leave the attachment brackets on the Jeep, she might would go for that. I may end up having to fab a system myself, but was looking for something that's already on the market.

2005 Jeep Wrangler
2005 GMC Sierra
2014 Jeep Wrangler

OB member #4392
A gobi rack with the detachable crossbars, the tent is permanently mounted to the crossbars. 4-bolts, the hard part is moving the tent in and out. I rigged a hoist but it's still a lot of work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: southernfire97

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO

Not much done to her yet, but not for lack of ideas!
Even as a bone-stock '16 Rubicon Hard Rock she's handled everything we've thrown at her, including the tougher trails around southern Arizona.

Only changes so far are teraflex diff covers front and rear, 12gal titan tank on the back, and a j-mounted hi-lift. GOBI Stealth rack is on order, once that comes and I have it installed we'll probably start working on building a galley in the back. Then finally when all that weight is added we'll figure out how much lift to put on in addition to some 34 or 35s

Oh yeah, and I almost forgot about the front end - planning on getting a Maximus-3 bull bar, a warn winch and some lights, then we'll be done (HAR HAR, yeah right)

GTJeeper

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gig Harbor, WA
Member #

View attachment 21690 View attachment 21689 Good looking Jeeps!

2014 JKU Willys
-Teraflex: 3" lift VSS , Steering stabilizer,Track bar, Front Speedbumps, Rear HD Hinge Carrier

-35" BFG KM2's on Stock Willys 17" Wheels

-Motive 4.88 Gears

-Smittybilt Defender Tack

-Titan 12 gallon fuel tank

-AEV Premium front bumper w/IPF 968's

To do list: endless
How's that fuel tank work with the teraflex HD carrier? I have a rugged ridge version and have been curious how well those tanks work with aftermarket HD hinge carrier.

Jeremy •IIIIIII• Michael

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Long Beach, Ca
Member #

How's that fuel tank work with the teraflex HD carrier? I have a rugged ridge version and have been curious how well those tanks work with aftermarket HD hinge carrier.
GT Jeeper,

It was actually a very seemless installation. I actually don't have the additional Teraflex adjustable tire carrier, only the HD carrier, so I still needed to use my spacer between the tank and spare. Aside from that, it is a pretty solid set up. And having 12 gallons versus two 5 gallon cans gives me the warm and fuzzies when traveling.

NW David

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gig Harbor, WA
Member #

-Motive 4.88 Gears
With the 4.56 gearing lil monster is screaming doing 75 and I average about 4 mpg less per tank than the OE 4.11

But that low end.... man she can chug up a 10% (guesstimate as I have no clino) hill in 2nd with no issues. albeit very slowly.

I would definitely be interested in the real world effects from the 4.88 you have on your JK.

Jeremy •IIIIIII• Michael

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Long Beach, Ca
Member #

With the 4.56 gearing lil monster is screaming doing 75 and I average about 4 mpg less per tank than the OE 4.11

But that low end.... man she can chug up a 10% (guesstimate as I have no clino) hill in 2nd with no issues. albeit very slowly.

I would definitely be interested in the real world effects from the 4.88 you have on your JK.
TheKnewb,
After three years of running stock, and averaging 20mpg @ 70mph & 2300 rpm on the highway (cruise control), I finally decided on a 3" lift with 35's.
**Oh, just FYI, my rig is a 6 speed manual transmission**

First, I ran like that for about 2-3 weeks with plenty of 100+ mile trips on the highway in that span on the 35's. My mpg dropped significantly to around 16-16.5 mpg @ 65mph & around 2800rpm. That was he reason I bought the 12 gallon Titan tank vs the Jerry can set up. I was afraid of not having enough fuel for overlanding.

Secondly, I decided to buy the Superchips
Flash Paq and reprogrammed the speedometer and to 35" tires. That alone return my mpg to 18.5-19 mpg @ 70mph & around 2800rpm, on a 150 mile freeway trip.

Then, after many days on forums, talking amongst friends I decided on 4.88's.
Now, I average 17.5-18.5 mpg @ 65mph & 2500rpm.

All these tests came from 80-100 mile trips to visit friends in the Inland Empire. Always being on cruise control and very very rarely slowing down and or speeding up.

Now, on the surface streets, with 4.88's, I average about 16mpg @ 25-40 mph. There is definitely a lot more shifting at lower speeds on the surface streets. But I have been driving stick shifts for 15 years. Doesn't bother me.

On the trail......latest trail was the Rowher Flats. Pretty steep climbs and decents at various parts. BOY an I super satisfied with the 4.88's.

Sorry about the long write up, hope i covered everything and that it helps.

GTJeeper

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gig Harbor, WA
Member #

GT Jeeper,

It was actually a very seemless installation. I actually don't have the additional Teraflex adjustable tire carrier, only the HD carrier, so I still needed to use my spacer between the tank and spare. Aside from that, it is a pretty solid set up. And having 12 gallons versus two 5 gallon cans gives me the warm and fuzzies when traveling.
Awesome, thanks for the insight. I absolutely love you rig by the way, very clean look to it!

NW David

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gig Harbor, WA
Member #

Sorry about the long write up, hope i covered everything and that it helps.
No worries at all man! That was an excellent write up! I'm glad to know the its a 6spd too i have the AX15 in mine (bought her from another harbor local) but i got lil monster with the intent of doing a cotybuilt conversion next winter. with the Gen2 24.5 extended capacity fuel tank and looks like a titan tank to match. infant i was planning a new thread so i don't hijack this on on accident asking for others input. I digress....

I didn't do any of the gear changes myself. However, before i purchased I did my due diligence so i knew what to expect fuel wise. The seller stated it was regeared and the few times i have had her out i have been impressed with the difference of the stock jeeps i (test) drove.

I like to think that an experienced operator and avid lover of M/Ts it was a very apparent difference in the shift points ( i was embarrassed when i did the test drive with the seller)

i guess what it comes down to is that i think that the 4.56 will be perfect for that cotybuilt

setup. Thank you for the knowledge!

edit: Sorry the Harbor local thing was for a different member lol