• HTML tutorial

Ryan Hoffman

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Somerset, PA
Member #

Sounds like an epic adventure!
It was awesome! I would do it again if I had to. And it was a steal on the Jeep too!!

2.5 4cyl with 180,000 miles.

Dana 44 axles with Detroit lockers, 4.88 gears and diff covers and one ton steering.

Slip yoke illuminator and Adams driveshafts

The best part the axle shafts are out of a wagoneer so the lug pattern is the same as my Toyota’s. 6x5.5

A very capable rig for a great price

Last edited:

jasgwoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rocky Top, TN
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Woods
Member #

Hey fellow Jeep peeps! I am new to overlanding, but have been a Jeep owner for several years. Recently picked up this 2010 JK and started working on my rig. Next step is a small lift. I'll be working on a trailer build this winter, but the RTT on top of the Jeep will suffice for my first several trips. Anyone else in East TN that could recommend some good beginner trails and camping spots?
20181019_162855.jpeg

Ryan Hoffman

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Somerset, PA
Member #

Hey fellow Jeep peeps! I am new to overlanding, but have been a Jeep owner for several years. Recently picked up this 2010 JK and started working on my rig. Next step is a small lift. I'll be working on a trailer build this winter, but the RTT on top of the Jeep will suffice for my first several trips. Anyone else in East TN that could recommend some good beginner trails and camping spots?
View attachment 74324
I’m not sure how close you are but, you should check out Peters mill run. Big levels to blue mountain is a hard trail. 18 miles takes 3 1/2 hours

Reactions: jasgwoods

Ryan Hoffman

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Somerset, PA
Member #

I use the app all trails. It does find some trails but not all of them. And it shows hiking and biking trails as well if you are into that.

Jmow349

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Cleveland TN
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Mowery
Member #

View attachment 74324
Check out the Georgia Traverse. georgiaoverland.com

MtnManAlex

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

your roof basket speaks to me.... who makes it?
It is the Bestop Overhead Rack (not including the basket). They stopped making it 7 years ago but I searched hard and finally found one on Craigslist for $80.

I think it is the coolest accessory. It is a rail system like on the inside of a lot of truck beds but it mounts to the outside of the Jeep. The overhead crossbars are removable in 30 seconds so I don’t have to ride with them all the time. I plan to mount side lighting (for finding campsites) to the rails and may use them to mount my shovel and axe too.

Downsides: It makes a lot of noise with just the crossbars (adding basket or weight reduces noise). It requires cutting a couple of plastic sections off the soft top. It’s limited to 150lbs—not a big deal for me because it can hold a couple of kayaks, extra gas and firewood, or other extra items that I don’t want inside the Jeep. I’m not a RTT camper so I don’t need a high capacity rack.

IMG_1158.JPG

MtnManAlex

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

your roof basket speaks to me.... who makes it?
I guess I only responded about the rack but you asked about the basket.

The basket in an unknown mystery brand I found on Craigslist for $40. So far I’m happy with it, and I feel like I can get at least my $40 back if I change my mind about it.

9Mike2

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Garden Grove, California
Member #

It is the Bestop Overhead Rack (not including the basket). They stopped making it 7 years ago but I searched hard and finally found one on Craigslist for $80.

I think it is the coolest accessory. It is a rail system like on the inside of a lot of truck beds but it mounts to the outside of the Jeep. The overhead crossbars are removable in 30 seconds so I don’t have to ride with them all the time. I plan to mount side lighting (for finding campsites) to the rails and may use them to mount my shovel and axe too.

Downsides: It makes a lot of noise with just the crossbars (adding basket or weight reduces noise). It requires cutting a couple of plastic sections off the soft top. It’s limited to 150lbs—not a big deal for me because it can hold a couple of kayaks, extra gas and firewood, or other extra items that I don’t want inside the Jeep. I’m not a RTT camper so I don’t need a high capacity rack.

View attachment 74598
We have found that if you wrap like 550 cord or something like that in a spiral around the bars ,it will reduce the noise by a lot. That's why most antennas now come that way....