Jeep JK Drawer Build

• HTML tutorial

AG Sheep

Rank IV

Traveler I

Maryland
I am deffenitly not a wood worker but I would like to attempt to build my own drawers. Anyone got any insight on the matter?

I want to have two sets of drawers, one for my tent, chairs, and the other for recovery gear and tool bags. Then on top I would like to mount a slide with my fridge on that. The slide I would by prebuilt.

Any tips or insight? Type of wood? Have been reading the 3/4 Plywood is the way to go.

Thanks in advance!

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

I did a super simple build, and am not technically done yet (we decided to move a couple weeks ago, so getting the house ready to go on the market tomorrow has taken up all my time). I am not using drawer slides because I want them removable, but I also saved a good bit and honestly because I didnt think Id be precise enough to get them to work right lol. I already have permanent storage for my primary recovery gear, so these "drawers," or really open-top storage bins, can be left stocked and in the house to save some weight in the daily-driven rig.

The overall intent was to:

1) Add a folding sleeping platform that still maintains the rear seats.
2) Add storage space
3) Be low enough that my 2 large dogs can ride and stand in the back.

Bottom line, I would describe myself as little more than "handy" when it comes to wood work. I used a circular saw for big cuts and folding camp saw for the tighter stuff. I used a cheap nail gun to tack things together, then used screws and metal L-brackets for permanent assembly. So far, I have about 2.5 hours into the project.

If you want something purely functional with littpe regard for fanciness, I'd say go for it. If you want something to show off on forums l, please wait for advice from someone else :P .

Attachments

AG Sheep

Rank IV

Traveler I

Maryland
Thanks for the insight. What kind of wood did you go with? I am planning to do some sort of bedliner on it and throw some carpet on the top for my dog

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

Ah. Hrmmm, dont know the true type of wood, but it is 23/32 ("3/4") plywood. I bought 3 sheets, but I have only used one so far for everything and a second will go toward the drawers / bins.

I will eventually carpet all the wood top surfaces, including both sides of the fold-out top, but for now I just have the original carpet sitting on top of it.

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

I grew up with access to both, so I can confidently say a circular saw is far more versatile for most DIY-level wood projects. That is, I have never bothered with getting my own table saw. Even when I do want things to look kindof good (I have built a few benches and end tables and such for the house), the little fence attachment coupled with creative use of clamps and such keeps things pretty straight and true. And, worst case, I am not afraid to use a little caulk and paint (because a carpenter I ain't ;) ).

Last edited:
Reactions: AG Sheep

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

Of course, all that said, I think a simple JK-sized drawer set with real slides wouldn't be that difficult to build. So, I definitely don't want to discourage you!

Reactions: AG Sheep