Explorer I

Boksburg, Gauteng, South Africa
First Name
Willie
Last Name
Tennant
Member #

Hi guys,

With lifting kits will you guys recommend for a 2dr jeep wrangler jk, I do mostly overlanding and a little bit of 4x4 trails, my overlanding gear will always stay on the vehicle, extra load around 200 kg

Dlnuckolls

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Shepherdsville, KY, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Nuckolls
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4WHV
Hi guys,

With lifting kits will you guys recommend for a 2dr jeep wrangler jk, I do mostly overlanding and a little bit of 4x4 trails, my overlanding gear will always stay on the vehicle, extra load around 200 kg
If you need a lift, you should keep it small. Anything 2.5” or less should give you a bit of clearance without altering the ride or handling too much.

Closer to stock is always better for overlanding. Unless you really need it, you should just skip the lift altogether.

Reactions: Willie Tennant

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

I disagree. With 200kg of weight, adding a lift will give you your height back you will lose with a lot of gear and or people. My JKU with me (305lbs) my dog (175lbs), my wife (135lbs) roof rack, heavy bumpers, skid plates, heavy rock sliders, 35" tires on AEV Saltas, AM tire carrier, plus all of our gear and groceries puts us at nearly 5,100lbs with a 22 gallons of fuel, 6 gallons fuel/water in Rotopax. I lose about an inch of height with my 2.5" AEV DS lift.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Stay stock !!!

I've had Jeeps since high school in 1972 and lifted everyone of them. Fact all lifts add stress to all the factory engineering and end up breaking components or at least causing components to wear out faster. Bin there! Dun that! Stay stock, the 2 door JK is incredibly capable and reliable as Jeep designed and built it. Lifting, bigger tires, regearing is all about ego and wanting into the "big boys club". Not worth it. I pulled the lift off my TJR and went to tall skinny rubber and gained 5mpg. Inless yer goal is to climb waterfalls and run 5psi in the tires...... stay stock.

Maybe buy the Mopar Highline fenders if you want the look and room to mount 33s? but keep the moving parts stock. I doubt you'll overload a 2 door JK, but if you do..... no lift will relieve the stress that over loading added. AND if you are overloadied.... adding a lift exponentially adds stress. Your use says you have no need for a lift. it'll only steal money better spent on gas and getting out there.

ps, is Boksburg in South Africa ?

Last edited:

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Hi guys,

The big question would be what size tires are you planning on running and where o you plan to take the Jeep.
I am a firm believer that a modified vehicle can be as good or better than a stock one for overlanding. It isn't needs to be done right. I probably run close to the same for weight in the back of mine on trips and it's sags the rear about an inch. You could look into kits like old man emu who rate their springs for heavier payload or if you plan to rock crawl ( which mine is primarily) consider either a heavier or taller rear spring.
Biggest thing is to start with tire size and build around that.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

The big question would be what size tires are you planning on running and where o you plan to take the Jeep.
I am a firm believer that a modified vehicle can be as good or better than a stock one for overlanding. It isn't needs to be done right. I probably run close to the same for weight in the back of mine on trips and it's sags the rear about an inch. You could look into kits like old man emu who rate their springs for heavier payload or if you plan to rock crawl ( which mine is primarily) consider either a heavier or taller rear spring.
on the money, great reply ^^^

Explorer I

First Name
Willie
Last Name
Tennant
Member #

Stay stock !!!

I've had Jeeps since high school in 1972 and lifted everyone of them. Fact all lifts add stress to all the factory engineering and end up breaking components or at least causing components to wear out faster. Bin there! Dun that! Stay stock, the 2 door JK is incredibly capable and reliable as Jeep designed and built it. Lifting, bigger tires, regearing is all about ego and wanting into the "big boys club". Not worth it. I pulled the lift off my TJR and went to tall skinny rubber and gained 5mpg. Inless yer goal is to climb waterfalls and run 5psi in the tires...... stay stock.

Maybe buy the Mopar Highline fenders if you want the look and room to mount 33s? but keep the moving parts stock. I doubt you'll overload a 2 door JK, but if you do..... no lift will relieve the stress that over loading added. AND if you are overloadied.... adding a lift exponentially adds stress. Your use says you have no need for a lift. it'll only steal money better spent on gas and getting out there.

ps, is Boksburg in South Africa ?
Hi, Thanks ffor the reply, and yes Bosburg is in South Affrica, and i also think to stay stock just changing the coils and shocks.

Explorer I

First Name
Willie
Last Name
Tennant
Member #

Hi , im going to run the stock tyres and R17/70/285

Reactions: Trail_pilot

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

285/70/17 wont fit under a stock JKU without hitting the control arms and rubbing the inner fenders at full turn, flexed or on the street, even if you run 1.5" spacers, it will still rub the inner fenders and bottom leading edge of the fenders. The biggest you can run without changing anything is a 265/70/17 on a JK or JKU. Thats a 32" tire which is really a 31-31.5" tire once mounted and on the ground.

And buying a lift is something you just cant cheap out on. Pay once, cry once. AEV, Metalcloak, MOPAR, OME are all quality kits with nearly everything you need. Will other parts wear faster? Yep. Primarily steering components and if you are running a heavy rig, upgrading brakes to a big rotor kit with or without new calipers brings peace of mind. But its the price of admission to going bigger and hence, further than a stock JK can go. There was only one kit worth buying back in the TJ days - AEV. Everything else was crap. Technology and CAD have come a long way in creating better products.

Last edited:

RideFlyDiveJeep

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

Shawnee, KS 66217, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Peterson
Member #

If you're only doing a little bit of trails why not try it out stock and build as the need arises. I had a '11 JKR and it was remarkable. I did eventually got to a 2.5" Teraflex and the marginally bigger/better tires. I didn't have any issues with the lift. I did the lift cause I was taking it to trails not overlanding. I am keeping the '19 JLUR stock cause it is for overlanding. Tires make all the difference. FWIW: I lost the 4wd on the JKR due to the grommet on the pull lever. I was still able to get around in snow and 2wd.