Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Irwin, PA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Schmitt
Member #

We have a 2012 Jeep JK 2 door. What is everyone using for water storage? In a 2 door, space is a premium so I was seeing if anyone has found a storage tank (or something similar) made to fit a 2 door.

*We already know about Rotopax and other similar companies We would like something we can mount/store inside the Jeep.

AG Sheep

Rank IV

Traveler I

Maryland
I have do not have any plans when it comes to water storage but what about something like this : https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/en/us/front-runner-footwell-water-tank.html

I had seen one a while back that was a tank mounted to someones shelf right behind the front seats. Cant find that picture though.

EDIT: Kinda looked like this http://www.expeditionready.net/UPRIGHT-FLAT-PLASTIC-WATER-TANK-1057-GALLONS-WTAN009.htm

This one to http://theroadchoseme.com/diy-4x4-water-tank-pump-filtration-and-treatment

Last edited:

Fellow Jeeper

Rank V

Influencer II

Latrobe Pa
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Bobincheck
Think it's Garvin, but they have a mount that goes inside of you have a hard top. Mounts to the roll bar. If you have a softtop like I run I the summer the arms hit though. You can see it in the upper left.

Sent from my SM-G935V using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Jimmy P

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

Waterbricks!
I've been using waterbricks for several years now and like them. I have the tan ones and one spigot. The two disavantages are: the caps can be difficult to loosen / tighten, especially on the spigot cap; you have to prop the tank with the spiigot once it is half empty.

I still like them mainly because they lock together well and store very easil due to their shape.

Convoy.Of.One

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Arcadia, CA
Member #

I agree with Dan and Jen Nevada. If you still have the stock rear bumper you can easily convert it into a water reservoir for miscellaneous uses and keep a disposable bottle for drinking water.

Sent from my XT1575 using OB Talk mobile app

Roam

Rank I

Contributor III

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Sullivan
Check out water bladders for an interior solution. They work well since you can fit them wherever you have open space. Exterior I have the AEV rear bumper with water storage. Holds about five gallons and a hand pump is used. Works great as part of your kitchen or simply cleaning up.

As mentioned previously you can mod the stock bumper as well.

txjeeper

Rank 0

Contributor I

US
I would only use the stock bumper as a backup supply as it is very easy to crack. I managed to do it by sliding into a tree. I have a friend with the AEV bumper and it seems like it could take a good beating, but he has been very lucky to have not hit anything yet so don't know for sure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Roam

Rank I

Contributor III

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Sullivan
I would only use the stock bumper as a backup supply as it is very easy to crack. I managed to do it by sliding into a tree. I have a friend with the AEV bumper and it seems like it could take a good beating, but he has been very lucky to have not hit anything yet so don't know for sure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
I've found the AEV solution to be well protected with basically sliders built around each corner tank. An interior solution would resolve this but I find it more cumbersome to access the water with my interior setup.

Jake Wettern | iamjake

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Member #

I live in my 94 YJ and what I found to work the best for me is my blue Reliance 7-gallon rigid aqua-tainer - http://amzn.to/2sB81P6 - and what I like most about this is its square design that slides in easily in the back under the cot i sleep on. I also carry an add'l 5 gallons in a jerry can on my rear bumper/tire carrier

Camp setup - Pacific Grove, CA - April 2017.jpg

Rubiconcruiser

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

So Georgia
Member #

I live in my 94 YJ and what I found to work the best for me is my blue Reliance 7-gallon rigid aqua-tainer - http://amzn.to/2sB81P6 - and what I like most about this is its square design that slides in easily in the back under the cot i sleep on. I also carry an add'l 5 gallons in a jerry can on my rear bumper/tire carrier

View attachment 28415
FrontRunner outfitters makes a rear of seat tank as well as a floor tank that goes over the hump. If interested have several others as well

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

wrath0r

Rank 0

Traveler I

I'm working on a kind of diy project for my 2-door jk for water storage in the back. I don't know about you, but I haven't actually removed my rear seats. I fold them down when I'm on a trip. When that happens there are two anchor points exposed. What I'm working through is pretty simple: a board with a couple of clamps on it to hold onto that anchor point, then attaching a Rotopax mount to it. I think that a thick enough board can hold plenty of weight and will hold the water relatively flat against the rear seat. Of course this is all theoretical, but I think it'll work.

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

View attachment 28415
This and it fits perfectly in a milk crate which doubles as a stand for it in camp.

67649D0C-36F1-4A81-BF3D-BD8AD4C677FC.jpeg

9DC4FD56-BFBA-4656-82FE-BA55B86DADF6.jpeg

Anchor Mtn

US Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fruita, Colorado
Member #

For inside the vehicle I really like the rotopax. Granted I have a JKU, but I just lay a pair of them on the rear floor. They never leak and have held up to the kid and dogs stomping all over them. The biggest problem is that they are expensive and dont carry a lot of water for the money.

If you dont care about a little seepage/spill then the water cube @iamjake uses are a great value.

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I was also concerned with interior space as I always tend to over pack. I snagged a poly water can that holds about 6.5-7 gallons. It sits upright like a jerry can would. utilizes the space well. Only gripe is that you MUST ham fist the lid/cap on otherwise it will dribble some as it sloshes around inside the tank.