Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Placerville, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Monterosso
Member #

Hi, I just wanted to let you all know my experience so far with the Jackery Power Station 1000. I initially started a thread on the "Overland Vehicle Build" forum. I think now that I have used the Jackery, I can do a limited review.

I made it 88 hours on one charge running my ARB Zero 47 at 35 degrees. I stopped my test at 7% charge. I hooked up two Jackery 100w solar panels and within four hours, the charge was at 46% (with fridge running). I live in the foothills with many trees. It seemed that every time I looked at the solar panels they were in the shade and I had to adjust them, "PIA." With two panels, I was pulling around 140w in direct sun with smoke haze. One panel was exactly half. So far, I love this system. I ended up plugging the fridge into the Jackery, and switched my rear 12v plug to only power when the Jeep is running. Now the Jackery charges while I drive, yet runs the fridge 100% while Jeep is off. The only negative I see is: The fridge 12v plug wiggled out of the Jackery two times within two hours of driving. Luckily the ARB alerts you when it loses power. I need to figure out a way to keep the plug in while driving. Overall, I think this is a great alternative to a dual battery system. Thank goodness for the Jackery. Last night PG&G turned our power off again. My kids are doing Zoom distance learning because the schools are closed here. They didn't miss a beat because they were able to plug in their computers right into the Jackery. Here is the link to the "Overland Vehicle Build" forum: Jackery Power Station question.

Last edited:

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Good review! Which reminds me I have go out to the garage and see if any of my non-Jackery power cables from my other solar panel suitcase thingy will plug into my Jackery 500. Maybe I could run a similar test.

Reactions: CarrieJ

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Elk Grove, I’m in Placerville, not far.
Nope not that far. You guys have been in the new quiet a bit because of the power outages and all. I'd like to visit the downtown Placerville again when things ease up.

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

Great review! Wish I could afford a 1000, or even 500, LOL! I've found my 240 to charge very quickly with the 60w Jackery solar panels. It certainly charges faster than the fridge uses it. Of course, I don't stay put for long, so the 18 or so hours run time is fine for me. I use the charge through when Jeeping, so usually when I stop in the evening, the 240 is at 100% and has plenty of juice left in the morning when we get going again. And I'm running my fridge at about 33-35 degrees. I'd bet at 47, I'd get past 24 hours. But 88 hours is super impressive, still! I'm betting your fridge is bigger, too. 50quart? Mine is a little over 35.

Sounds like you've got an awesome setup!

OVERMTN

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Placerville, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Monterosso
Member #

Great review! Wish I could afford a 1000, or even 500, LOL! I've found my 240 to charge very quickly with the 60w Jackery solar panels. It certainly charges faster than the fridge uses it. Of course, I don't stay put for long, so the 18 or so hours run time is fine for me. I use the charge through when Jeeping, so usually when I stop in the evening, the 240 is at 100% and has plenty of juice left in the morning when we get going again. And I'm running my fridge at about 33-35 degrees. I'd bet at 47, I'd get past 24 hours. But 88 hours is super impressive, still! I'm betting your fridge is bigger, too. 50quart? Mine is a little over 35.

Sounds like you've got an awesome setup!
Actually my fridge is a 47 qt and I set the temp to 35 degrees and got 88 hours with 7% charge left on the Jackery. Love it so far.

Reactions: Viking1204 and DanW

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

Actually my fridge is a 47 qt and I set the temp to 35 degrees and got 88 hours with 7% charge left on the Jackery. Love it so far.
88 hours is just incredible! Sorry, I scanned on my little phone screen and misread the numbers. That's even better, though!

OVERMTN

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Placerville, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Monterosso
Member #

Something funny... I was in Apple Hill this weekend. Apple Hill is in the western Sierra Foothills with many apple orchards, farms where you can buy apples, apple pies, cider etc... Of course I brought my fridge with me, to pack it full of diabetic goodness. Which brings me to a couple with their kids noticing me packing my fridge with lots of diabetic goodness. They were very impressed with a vehicle having an actual fridge in it. They asked me what the thing was next to the fridge. Assuming they were not from the area, I took the opportunity to screw with them, but in a nice way. I told them the Jackery was a flashlight, and turned on the little flashlight feature to show them. They thought it was strange that it was soooo big, just for the little flashlight, I told them you could run the flashlight for 400-500 years on one charge. They thought that was amazing. Feeling bad, I told them I was kidding, and that I was using it to run my fridge, so I didn't have to use my Jeep battery. I explained how it works and some of the many uses. They said they would look into getting one in case of a power outage where they live in San Francisco. Jackery and fridge are running strong. Best thing since sliced bread.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Something funny... I was in Apple Hill this weekend. Apple Hill is in the western Sierra Foothills with many apple orchards, farms where you can buy apples, apple pies, cider etc... Of course I brought my fridge with me, to pack it full of diabetic goodness. Which brings me to a couple with their kids noticing me packing my fridge with lots of diabetic goodness. They were very impressed with a vehicle having an actual fridge in it. They asked me what the thing was next to the fridge. Assuming they were not from the area, I took the opportunity to screw with them, but in a nice way. I told them the Jackery was a flashlight, and turned on the little flashlight feature to show them. They thought it was strange that it was soooo big, just for the little flashlight, I told them you could run the flashlight for 400-500 years on one charge. They thought that was amazing. Feeling bad, I told them I was kidding, and that I was using it to run my fridge, so I didn't have to use my Jeep battery. I explained how it works and some of the many uses. They said they would look into getting one in case of a power outage where they live in San Francisco. Jackery and fridge are running strong. Best thing since sliced bread.
Funny you mentioned Apple Hill. I was considering going up there last weekend as well, but then I looked at my over grown lawn, and the idea of Apple Hill was quickly shot down. But may go up there on Monday, 10/12. I'm off and the kids get out of school early...4-500 years lol.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Hi, I just wanted to let you all know my experience so far with the Jackery Power Station 1000. I initially started a thread on the "Overland Vehicle Build" forum. I think now that I have used the Jackery, I can do a limited review.

I made it 88 hours on one charge running my ARB Zero 47 at 35 degrees. I stopped my test at 7% charge. I hooked up two Jackery 100w solar panels and within four hours, the charge was at 46% (with fridge running). I live in the foothills with many trees. It seemed that every time I looked at the solar panels they were in the shade and I had to adjust them, "PIA." With two panels, I was pulling around 140w in direct sun with smoke haze. One panel was exactly half. So far, I love this system. I ended up plugging the fridge into the Jackery, and switched my rear 12v plug to only power when the Jeep is running. Now the Jackery charges while I drive, yet runs the fridge 100% while Jeep is off. The only negative I see is: The fridge 12v plug wiggled out of the Jackery two times within two hours of driving. Luckily the ARB alerts you when it loses power. I need to figure out a way to keep the plug in while driving. Overall, I think this is a great alternative to a dual battery system. Thank goodness for the Jackery. Last night PG&G turned our power off again. My kids are doing Zoom distance learning because the schools are closed here. They didn't miss a beat because they were able to plug in their computers right into the Jackery. Here is the link to the "Overland Vehicle Build" forum: Jackery Power Station question.
It's a bummer Jackery didn't put a better 12V output plug than the cigarette lighter plug. I built my own solar generator and put an Anderson plug on it and cut the cord on my fridge and installed an Anderson plug on it. This stays put way better a cigarette lighter plug does!

OVERMTN

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Placerville, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Monterosso
Member #

It's a bummer Jackery didn't put a better 12V output plug than the cigarette lighter plug. I built my own solar generator and put an Anderson plug on it and cut the cord on my fridge and installed an Anderson plug on it. This stays put way better a cigarette lighter plug does!
I like your idea! It does have an Anderson input plug for solar. I wonder how hard would it be to add a 12v Anderson output. However, I do understand that most 12v accessories use a cigarette lighter plug. For my recent Apple Hill trip, for some reason the plug never popped out. I’ll keep testing it. Thanks for the input.

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

The problem is that 12v plugs are far more common for common devices. I have nothing that uses an Anderson plug. Plus, I've never had anything pop out of the 12v. Neither my Snomaster or cheap Alpicool fridge cords pop out. My drone charger plugs don't pop out, either.

I'm sure the Anderson plugs work better, though. Not sure why it couldn't have both. But the Anderson would have to have many more common appliances before it would be worth it for Jackery to put one on there, IMHO. There just aren't enough folks out there that rig things up that way. The majority are more casual users. That's where the bulk of the market is.

Reactions: Viking1204

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
I like your idea! It does have an Anderson input plug for solar. I wonder how hard would it be to add a 12v Anderson output. However, I do understand that most 12v accessories use a cigarette lighter plug. For my recent Apple Hill trip, for some reason the plug never popped out. I’ll keep testing it. Thanks for the input.
I keep some gorilla tape around for all sorts of things. Seems to be working for my 12V plug. Not pretty but works.

Northernlady

Rank V
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada
First Name
Karen
Last Name
Roberts
Member #

Thanks for your review! I am just researching upgrading my power system and adding a fridge, contemplating dual batteries etc. It is good together some real world feedback on these products.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
The problem is that 12v plugs are far more common for common devices. I have nothing that uses an Anderson plug. Plus, I've never had anything pop out of the 12v. Neither my Snomaster or cheap Alpicool fridge cords pop out. My drone charger plugs don't pop out, either.

I'm sure the Anderson plugs work better, though. Not sure why it couldn't have both. But the Anderson would have to have many more common appliances before it would be worth it for Jackery to put one on there, IMHO. There just aren't enough folks out there that rig things up that way. The majority are more casual users. That's where the bulk of the market is.
It puzzles me that the 12V cigarette lighter (CL) plugs haven't been improved on or just completely changed out to a better plug like the Anderson plug. 12V CL plugs are huge, the Anderson plug is much more compact and the nice thing is they are easy to make on your own. You must be lucky when it comes to the CL plugs, the one for my both fridges I've had popped out on bumpy roads and the one on my ATV for my spreader pops out too. If they are going to keep CL plugs around, not sure why, they are huge, why not put a locking mechanism on them that you have to press to get it to release? Sorry, just not a fan of the CL plugs which were invented a long time ago so people could light their cigarettes while driving!

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

It puzzles me that the 12V cigarette lighter (CL) plugs haven't been improved on or just completely changed out to a better plug like the Anderson plug. 12V CL plugs are huge, the Anderson plug is much more compact and the nice thing is they are easy to make on your own. You must be lucky when it comes to the CL plugs, the one for my both fridges I've had popped out on bumpy roads and the one on my ATV for my spreader pops out too. If they are going to keep CL plugs around, not sure why, they are huge, why not put a locking mechanism on them that you have to press to get it to release? Sorry, just not a fan of the CL plugs which were invented a long time ago so people could light their cigarettes while driving!
I agree. The Anderson plug would fit more efficiently into auto dash boards. They could put multiple plugs, maybe 3 or 4, in the space of one 12v plug, or they could just do one or 2 and have more flexibility for other elements of design.

Yeah, I've probably been lucky, but both cords are very tight in the Jackery. I've done everything from Moab to Windrock to the Daniel Boone Backroad Byway, so it has had its share of bouncing. That said, the JL Wrangler's Fox shocks and Mopar spring rates are very soft, so I'd almost dare to call it plush compared to my JK or other off-road vehicles. That may help, too. I run the Jackery plugged into the Jeeps cargo area 12v, then the fridge in the Jackery, so I have a full charge for overnight.

OVERMTN

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Placerville, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Monterosso
Member #

After using the Jackery now a few times, I have not had the plug pop out again. I think there might be a sweet spot with the 12v plug where the metal springs fit correctly so the plug does not pop out. So far so good. My JL came from the factory with the rear 12v plug hot even with the ignition off, which is good for most applications. However, I wanted to run my fridge using only the Jackery, and charge the Jackery using the Jeep. With the JL, if you want the rear 12v plug to be hot only when the Jeep is on, the JL is designed to be able to switch it by moving a fuse over. Pretty cool. Now I run the fridge using the Jackery only and the Jeep to charges the Jackery when driving. When I turn the Jeep off, the fridge runs only using the Jackery. Works awesome!