Jack my stuff up. Need jack help/ suggestions.

• HTML tutorial

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Hell, put some rocks under the axle and dig a hole. Changing a tire isn't that intense. So go spend all the money you want. Doesn't change the fact that the little cheap floor jacks work great. So the answer to your question is YES. Trust it completely. You made my point. How often do you get a flat? But I knew better than to share that little tip. So It's on me.
Well yes, that was intense there in the photo, we were pointed up, way up, prolly a 9/12 gradient and way off camber, I took my time, thought it through, blocked the other three tires and applied the jacks.. one little mistake and it would have been a real mess !!

whitneysc

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Northern Virginia
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Whitney
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
I carry both a truck scissor jack and a farm jack. Chrysler's scissor jack wasn't enough for a stock vehicle. With new tires it doesn't even touch.
The farm jack is one of my favorite tools but it comes with an "*" and a foot note. The machine is a spreader, not a lifter. It creates space between the lip and foot. Sometimes that spreading can be used to spread a wheel from the mud or sand. Subtle but important.

The item below is one of my favorite additions that can increase the stability of the jack in most situations. Angles are important so if you weren't good at math or physics, leave the farm jack at home...better yet, leave the money in your account.

If you want more information on farm jacks, I could write a book about them.
What is the tire lift accessory called and where can I find one?
I have a 60" Extreme on the tail of my Land Cruiser. I have the Hi-Lift Bumper Lift, but like this better than the Hi-Lift option

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

What is the tire lift accessory called and where can I find one?
I have a 60" Extreme on the tail of my Land Cruiser. I have the Hi-Lift Bumper Lift, but like this better than the Hi-Lift option

Lift Mate

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

Lift Mate is the Hi-Lift version.... I'm actually interested in the one pictured above.

This is the title of the one I got off amazon. Looks like they are currently out though.

CESS[emoji768] Farm Lift Jack Lift Mate 6600 Lbs Heavy Duty M1058 Compatible With Hi-Lift Jack

Vyscera

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chico, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I have the safe jack kit, bought a bottle jack locally though. Its been pretty handy, much easier to move about than the hi-lift. stores nicely under the rear seat even.

Spud

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

St. Helens OR
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Ellett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7LSX
I carry this with me, the big base makes it great off-road, and the built in jack stand makes it safe too.

Edit: I'm not smart enough to post links I guess, lol. Go on Amazon and type in Powerbuilt 620471 Unijack

Levidale

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Gardendale Texas
Member #

IMG_2102.JPG 1.5 ton jack I welded a standard jack that comes with a truck on a harbor freight floor jack. I'm lifting one tire and not just one side so it's enough and you can adjust it for more height. Works great!

The Nothing

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

pdx, or
First Name
Isaac
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7BSB
I'd have to argue that what this post is missing is Jack Stands. I don't care what jack you use, once you start the process of removing the tire, the rig should be on jackstands.
I pack around 2x12x12 lumber to use as a base for the stands.

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

I'd have to argue that what this post is missing is Jack Stands. I don't care what jack you use, once you start the process of removing the tire, the rig should be on jackstands.
I pack around 2x12x12 lumber to use as a base for the stands.
I agree. I just started carrying one of these. I normally would toss a jack stand in my truck for trips, but now I carry this.

I still carry the OEM jack and a hi-lift. Each has their proper place.

Reactions: Spud and reidbailey

Spud

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

St. Helens OR
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Ellett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7LSX
The one I got on Amazon I talked about a few posts up looks just like that. They work great

Sent from my SM-G950U using OB Talk mobile app

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

I know, right? Upon discovering it exists, I basically stood up from my computer, walked out to my truck and drove right to home depot. And, it is that useful. On a recent off road trip my RR tire grabbed the fender lip and pulled it out. I grabbed the jack, slid it under my slider, jacked the truck up a bit so I had enough room to get in with a vice grips and bend the lip back under. I was done in 5 minutes.

Reactions: Spud

anotheraznguy

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Tracy, Ca
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZZN
I am currently using a 3 ton aluminum jack with a 1 foot aluminum 3" dia tube and metal stabilization plates.

I am looking at this as a good everyday carry in the truck. It also has a built in jackstand as well. The main reason i am looking at this one is the footprint is bigger than a standard bottlejack and it also has a bigger pad which should make it easier to get under the axle. Powerbuilt makes one as well but the quality is hit or miss. The husky seems to have better reviews

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-6000-lb-3-Ton-Floor-UniJack-620521/206393594?MERCH=REC-_-rv_gm_pip_rr-_-206393594-_-206393594-_-N

Reactions: Dylan Cave

Traveler I

usa
For me its all about reliability and versatility and a factory mechanical Toyota Land Cruiser works. It can lift an axle high enough to easily change a 37" tire and it will work in any position every time. Coupled with a Jack Adapter and you have a high level of safety for a repair or tire change in the field or your driveway.

IMG_4839.JPG

Reactions: slomatt

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
For me its all about reliability and versatility and a factory mechanical Toyota Land Cruiser works. It can lift an axle high enough to easily change a 37" tire and it will work in any position every time. Coupled with a Jack Adapter and you have a high level of safety for a repair or tire change in the field or your driveway.

View attachment 28765
I have the 4Runner version of that jack and what looks like the same jack adapter, they work great. I don't carry a high lift anymore.

- Matt

Reactions: LandCruiserPhil