Jack my stuff up. Need jack help/ suggestions.

• HTML tutorial

Rogue Beardsman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rotonda West, Florida
Member #

Im looking for some ideas for jacks to carry in the rig.

I have a hi lift for recovery and stuff like that but use a scissor jack for everything else. Only problem is i have issues with them over time. The extensions bending and snapping and such.

I have a bottle jack but and i thought that would be great. First i found out the hard way that they need to be stored up right and to bleed air from them. First flat tire i got on the road i was ready to put it to use. It was too tall to fit under the axel when the tire was deflated to the rim. So that sucked. I figured it out with help of jack stands and a hi lift.

So what im wondering is what everyone else uses. I thought about searching for a heavy duty scissor jack. Or maybe i should try a floor jack?

I don't have a house or garage or apartment and pretty much move around every 6 months and live in company provided housing. So something i can keep in the rig without taking up a ton of space would be nice.

So lets hear your jack suggestions/ideas!

Also i tried to search if this has come up before and couldn't find anything. Im on the mobile app and searching is a little different. So this is already been discussed and i missed it. please let me know

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Scott Murray

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Leinster WA, Australia
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Murray
Member #

SOIDA24V

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Ferndale, WA, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tilton
Member #

One of the harbor freight 1.5 ton aluminum race jacks with a skid work awesome. A lot of trophy trucks and stuff use them on board. I've been needing to buy one

Sent from my SM-T377V using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Graeman

w_m_photo

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Gahanna, OH
First Name
Walt
Last Name
Middleton
Member #

I just use the stock jack that came with the Jeep along with a spacer that is made to fit the Jack and provide added height.
The thing even fits in the storage bin in the rear of the Jeep...
HiLift jacks are great tools. I'm not really sure they are really that safe for changing a time though.

Rogue Beardsman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rotonda West, Florida
Member #

Grab a 25 buck floor jack. 2 ton. If u have a modified suspension all a high lift does is expand the suspension and the tire rarely leaves the ground.

Sent from my A621R using OB Talk mobile app
Yeah I am thinking this is the way to go. Thanks

One of the harbor freight 1.5 ton aluminum race jacks with a skid work awesome. A lot of trophy trucks and stuff use them on board. I've been needing to buy one

Sent from my SM-T377V using OB Talk mobile app
I was just in harbor freight looking at them last week!

Thanks
I just use the stock jack that came with the Jeep along with a spacer that is made to fit the Jack and provide added height.
The thing even fits in the storage bin in the rear of the Jeep...
HiLift jacks are great tools. I'm not really sure they are really that safe for changing a time though.
I used my stock scissor jack until the prongs where the extention bar attaches broke. Then picked up a different one and its having the same weak points. I like that they are compact but i just don't to be screwed one day from its failure. Thanks for the input!

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
HiLift jacks are great tools. I'm not really sure they are really that safe for doing anything at all with though.
Fixed that for you. I've had friends knocked unconscious by them as well as dropped a few vehicles off one myself and generally smash at least one finger simply carrying mine from the garage to the truck or vise-versa. They are damn handy when you need one though. We've used one to fell a tree in the desired direction in a pine stand, lift a shelf that was collapsing to brace it up without unloading it, adjust the angle of a vehicle we were loading on a trailer (precision dropping), break down tires, and many other things.

I'm convinced that the only safe way to own one is to cut it into pieces and store it in a bucket under your workbench, but far enough back that you won't stub a toe on it. I have two, btw. One in the Xterra and one for around the house or to stash in the truck if we're going somewhere.

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

I carry both a truck scissor jack and a farm jack. Chrysler's scissor jack wasn't enough for a stock vehicle. With new tires it doesn't even touch.
The farm jack is one of my favorite tools but it comes with an "*" and a foot note. The machine is a spreader, not a lifter. It creates space between the lip and foot. Sometimes that spreading can be used to spread a wheel from the mud or sand. Subtle but important.

The item below is one of my favorite additions that can increase the stability of the jack in most situations. Angles are important so if you weren't good at math or physics, leave the farm jack at home...better yet, leave the money in your account.

If you want more information on farm jacks, I could write a book about them.

Last edited:

Jeff D

Rank III

Enthusiast III

You guys running the trucks have a vast galaxy of space so a regular 3 ton would be sweet (a cheapy 60 bucker) I don't have the room like u guys so the little one works. They'll straighten tie rods good enough to get you out (wink wink). They help with skid plats, transfer cases etc etc when the really bad stuff happens. And they level the vehicle quick and easy for all them fancy top tents. I made a slide out with a couple legs for me jeep that slides out the back for sleeping. So I do some leveling to :}

druff6991

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Carlsbad NM
Member #

Grab a 25 buck floor jack. 2 ton. If u have a modified suspension all a high lift does is expand the suspension and the tire rarely leaves the ground.

Sent from my A621R using OB Talk mobile app
I've always just wrapped a strap around the axle to the frame, so when you pick up, that doesn't happen. Harder to do with an independent suspension.

Its also one of those safety squint moments.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using OB Talk mobile app

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
$25 for a floor jack? You're driving a $40k plus rig around and you're gonna trust a $25 floor jack? Find a good bottle jack that is short enough to fit under your axle. and get the tire lift attachment, (as shown above). for the highlift. I've been using both for a lot of years quite successfully. I must reveal though, that I've never had a flat tire, except once and that's when a stem got pinched and was ripped out. Using the high lift and the bottle jack in tandem saved the day.. I have used each of them on various occasions for light trail repair and getting unstuck. IMG_0930.JPG

Jeff D

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Hell, put some rocks under the axle and dig a hole. Changing a tire isn't that intense. So go spend all the money you want. Doesn't change the fact that the little cheap floor jacks work great. So the answer to your question is YES. Trust it completely. You made my point. How often do you get a flat? But I knew better than to share that little tip. So It's on me.

Reactions: w_m_photo

druff6991

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Carlsbad NM
Member #

Yes. Yes I do trust that 25 dollar jack. It's the same fluid physics as a high dollar jack use. All you're paying for is quality control, which is why you inspect stuff before you buy it or run it to its limits.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using OB Talk mobile app

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
also use a Harbor Freight floor jack. Great
Im looking for some ideas for jacks to carry in the rig.

I have a hi lift for recovery and stuff like that but use a scissor jack for everything else. Only problem is i have issues with them over time. The extensions bending and snapping and such.

I have a bottle jack but and i thought that would be great. First i found out the hard way that they need to be stored up right and to bleed air from them. First flat tire i got on the road i was ready to put it to use. It was too tall to fit under the axel when the tire was deflated to the rim. So that sucked. I figured it out with help of jack stands and a hi lift.

So what im wondering is what everyone else uses. I thought about searching for a heavy duty scissor jack. Or maybe i should try a floor jack?

I don't have a house or garage or apartment and pretty much move around every 6 months and live in company provided housing. So something i can keep in the rig without taking up a ton of space would be nice.

So lets hear your jack suggestions/ideas!

Also i tried to search if this has come up before and couldn't find anything. Im on the mobile app and searching is a little different. So this is already been discussed and i missed it. please let me know

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
That Jeep picture is huge and covers up what I am trying to type. The Harbor Freight aluminum floor jacks are great. That and a Hi-lift jack should be all that are needed. Floor jacks get low enough to fit underneath most any vehicle with a flat and are much more stable that a bottle jack will ever be. Bottle jacks are good on a flat solid surface - like a garage.

Jeff D

Rank III

Enthusiast III

The main thing about this whole tire changing business is that its done safe. I don't care if someone wants to tow a fork lift to change a tire. That's just fine. If you get it done with out any one getting injured. It's winner winner chicken dinner! What has always made me wonder is folks get a lot of stuff for this and that and never have a good Medical Kit. You know, something that will stop the bleeding and open the air way. Broken ankles etc. let them scream they'll be fine :] So just do stuff safe is the biggest thing in remote regions.

Reactions: 4xFar Adventures

OuterLimits

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Macho Grande
Member #

The scissors jack that came with my Escape was a bit puny. For off-road jacking I picked up a beefier version from a local car parts store.

61B7ZOVWbVL._SL1317_.jpg

It seems more robust than stock. I gave it a driveway test and found it was extremely difficult to turn when it gets a load on it. I am going to try cleaning up the screw threads and putting on some dry lube. If that doesn't work, I may toss it.

I did some web searching and found the Quaddro Jack.
kit_jack.jpg
http://www.quaddrotech.com/
This looks like a right proper scissors jack, but doesn't seem to be for sale anywhere.

If you like high-techy gear give this a try.
37M-BJRK-6W_1024x1024.jpg

Safe Jack
https://safejacks.com/collections/frontpage/products/safe-jack-bottle-jack-recovery-kit-with-bottle-jack

Cheers, TR

Reactions: Sean S