Is there a way to legally increase the GVWR of a vehicle?

• HTML tutorial

sebm

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Seb
Last Name
Mess
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6RUE
I know we can do brake upgrades and spring upgrades. They do help but they don't increase the legal limit for insurance purposes.
I'm asking because in Australia they do what they call GVM (gross vehicle mass) upgrades.
Was wondering if anyone knew about that for the US?
I personally have about 1600lb payload and when looking into bumpers and rock sliders, it'll make me bust my payload limit.

Thanks!

MattLew

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member II

Harriman, TN, Tennessee 61, Harriman, TN, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Lewandowski
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG4DIE
There is a big difference between what will increase the physical weight handling ability (springs, airbags, radical modifications) and how the vehicle is registered, and even more so, what an insurance company will agree to.

Physical modifications to handle more weight. replacement springs (new coils or leaf packs) and helper springs (add a leaf or airbags) will increase how much weight the truck can handle. Heavy duty sway bars will improve handling, but will hurt off road flex, thus off road traction. Frame reinforcements can prevent damage if done right but will increase the risk of frame damage if done wrong (they tend to create bend points where they transition from reinforced to non reinforced) likewise replacement axles will help prevent axel damage when overloaded as will trussing, gusseting, etc. And of course if you are going to be putting THAT much weight on it, you DEFINITELY need to consider FRONT big brakes, and maybe rear (front upgrade is more important than upgrading the rear from drums to disks or adding a big brake kit to the rear as MOST of your braking power comes from the front brakes) There is also the question of what can your drive train handle. Depending on how much of a hill it has to climb, or what the traction is like, an overweight vehicle can easily burn out a transmission. But these change what your vehicle can handle, NOT what it is "legal" for.

It is conceivably possible to convert a F350 into a deuce and a half if you make enough modifications, but if you are planning on exceeding the registered weight class of the vehicle, you might need to talk to the DMV as to whether or not you need to or even can change it's registration to reflect what your modifications can actually handle. DMV are really the only ones who say you can "legally" haul a given weight... but they are also not the final word on the matter.

Then comes the insurance company... That is a contract between you and them. If you exceed your "capacity", they are well within their rights to say you violated the terms of the contract and are on your own. it is a safe bet that if you are at fault in an accident, (or even involved in one that someone else caused), the insurance companies will have someone investigate to determine if they are liable to pay out, and if you had a bunch of stuff, or modifications they did not know about, they can refuse to pay leaving you on the hook for all damages and possibly charged with driving uninsured. That is something you have to work out with your insurance company, and might have to consider switching companies if they will not work with you and your modifications.

All that said... MANY people exceed their weight limits illegally and doing so depends entirely on what the laws are where you are located. For example, I have never been anywhere that I had to get weighed if I had a trailer on my down size pickups or my old full size van. I am not a commercial vehicle, so I am exempt where I play (I would have to look up the rules if I where to go elsewhere. (Example, I CAN tandem tow here without a CDL, but in nearby states I can not do so)

There is also a question of what is safe... for example the pic grubber posted legally has an additional axle, thus changing the weight class of trucks in some states allowing them to haul a larger camper, but that is barely a light utility trailer axle welded to a mounting bracket (probably a receiver hitch) in no way does it make that truck any stronger... I have seen some that are literally just casters on a mounting bar, but by definition it is a "trailer" thus letting the vehicle haul its combined vehicle weight in SOME states instead of the trucks weight. That is where contacting the DMV comes into play, not only in your area, but where you plan to play and all states in between.

Reactions: Jgenshlea

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ

Shakes355

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Bellingham, WA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Adams
Member #

In the US, there is no legal certification process after delivery of the vehicle. Only the vehicle manufacturer or an authorized upfitter who received an incomplete vehicle can set GVWR. Any modifications you make can increase (or decrease) the safe effective payload, but the rating (for legal purposes) can not be changed. And as noted, even if your suspension can take the extra weight, the frame may not.

That said, passenger vehicles rarely get weighed and are mostly picked out of a crowd if its obviously unsafe looking. The weight of a vehicle is also a consideration in accident investigations and if a vehicle is reasonably determined to be knowingly overloaded (egregiously is a word that comes to mind) it can impact insurance and legal liabilities.

Reactions: John and Mandi

sebm

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Seb
Last Name
Mess
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6RUE
What is the subject vehicle?
A 06 Tundra DC 4x4. I have not weighed it fully loaded but I'm pretty sure im close to max payload

In the US, there is no legal certification process after delivery of the vehicle. Only the vehicle manufacturer or an authorized upfitter who received an incomplete vehicle can set GVWR. Any modifications you make can increase (or decrease) the safe effective payload, but the rating (for legal purposes) can not be changed. And as noted, even if your suspension can take the extra weight, the frame may not.

That said, passenger vehicles rarely get weighed and are mostly picked out of a crowd if its obviously unsafe looking. The weight of a vehicle is also a consideration in accident investigations and if a vehicle is reasonably determined to be knowingly overloaded (egregiously is a word that comes to mind) it can impact insurance and legal liabilities.
Here in California all pick-ups are registered as commercial, does that change anything to the equation?

World Traveler III

Nokomis, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Fazio

This is how I understand it but I haven't looked into it in 7+ years.

Reactions: Cav 3724

MattLew

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member II

Harriman, TN, Tennessee 61, Harriman, TN, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Lewandowski
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG4DIE
best thing you can likely do is find a commercial scale (mostly used for semis and such, but some truck stops have scales available for a small fee (they are CAT in this part of the country, not sure about your neck of the woods)) and check your weight fully loaded either adjust your build or your load from there. also remember other factors such as how rough the terrain is and how your load is balanced (axle to axle)and what your center of gravity can affect the safety of things.

as for legality check with your department of transportation / department of motor vehicles

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I used the Australian rules as a guideline to upgrade the GVWR on our 80 series LC. I provided all the details for my agent, he checked with the underwriters and all is well. Stock curb weight was 5,000 lbs with GVWR of 6525. The suspension I used increased my GVWR to 7215. If it’s good enough for the stringent Aussi vehicle laws, it’s plenty good enough here in the states.

Slmsss

Rank IV

Explorer I

14 Farquharson Street, Harristown Queensland 4350, Australia
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Maddison
Member #

In Aus you can make the modifications to the vehicle is accordance with the relevant state or territory you are planning on registering the vehicle however all modifications have to be engineer approved and pass a number of test to ensure it remains compliant with all safety and Vehicle regulations for that state

Reactions: MOAK