Launch Member

Influencer I

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
MiamiC70
Last Name
MiamiC70
Member #

As my group name "Jeep'n It Simple" implies i do not fall for all of the marketing hoopla for off road (Overland) gear. Here is an great article from Outside Magazine on this topic - the ultimate overland trailer or has the Overlanding mania finally gone too far? Hope you can access it,

Traveler III

West Hills, Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Twomey
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
As my group name "Jeep'n It Simple" implies i do not fall for all of the marketing hoopla for off road (Overland) gear. Here is an great article from Outside Magazine on this topic - the ultimate overland trailer or has the Overlanding mania finally gone too far? Hope you can access it,

Great article, I chuckled because I’m the guy that in 5 minutes had my tent up, chair out, cold beer in hand. I am concerned that the Overlanding experience is getting too highly marketed and the trails / outdoors getting negatively impacted.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

When I see someone say "Nobody needs" or some version of that I automatically discount anything else they have to say and make a good effort to avoid further contact with them so I don't have to burn their little soapbox down.

I looked at the Mammoth trailers at Expo West, not for me but not for any of the reasons stated in that article.

MiamiC70

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
MiamiC70
Last Name
MiamiC70
Member #

When I see someone say "Nobody needs" or some version of that I automatically discount anything else they have to say and make a good effort to avoid further contact with them so I don't have to burn their little soapbox down.

I looked at the Mammoth trailers at Expo West, not for me but not for any of the reasons stated in that article.
I think you may be confusing “needs” with “wants”. I assure you 90% of the crap being shilled and hocked as “Overland“ is most certainly NOT needed by anyone to actually go car camping.

Reactions: CaptSourPatch

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
its all perspective...

a person who works hard and earns their own money and then buys a $90K teardrop camper doesnt illicit near a negative emotion from me as does seeing folk who refuse to work and instead play the system and have the $90K decked out escalade proudly parked outside their tax payer funded housing unit.

besides, when you see the $90K teardrop, there is a lot more to the picture. somewhere there is a welder putting his kid thru college by shitting out trailer frames day in and day out not to mention all the other tradesmen who support their families by performing their related trades that build and outfit these rigs. instead of seeing a guy put $90K into a bank account for the bank to use, i much rather see that money going back out into the public.

personally, i love to see innovations like the crazy teardrop because crazy stuff inspires folk to go step up their game and that is when we start seeing new products that are practical and useful.

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
Both interesting articles, the second one about car camping and overlanding was more interesting because the 2 are really the same, it is just about where you can go. I took a 4 door Honda Accord down the west coast of Vancouver Island a long time ago, 10 days largely on Forest Service roads camping where ever I ended up for the day. Other than the odd logging truck I saw no one, I did see a lot of black bears, seals, a pod of killer whales, and a lot of deer. Some of the roads were more than a bit dodgy for a car but I managed. Now going to a local KOA or similar campsite maybe not but that is just variance.

The trailer I do not get , but I have met people with every gadget, who were terrified of a bear getting close, so there is a market for certain.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

I think you may be confusing “needs” with “wants”. I assure you 90% of the crap being shilled and hocked as “Overland“ is most certainly NOT needed by anyone to actually go car camping.
I'm speaking of the individual and any possible degree of validity their opinion may hold when they make all encompassing statements like "nobody needs".

I just lived 3 years of my life with various individuals and entities attempting to define what I "need or don't need" and I've had quite enough of that shit right there.

That said the "overlanding" world is properly ensconced in gadgetry and gear. Much of what is held in great value and heavily marketed is not required as a point of entry to the hobby on that we certainly agree. I will however say that every hobby I've ever had has been a sea of gadgetry and gear. That is nothing unique to the "overlanding" community, far from it and in each of those hobbies people were found who attempted to supplement their skills with their wallet. It's important to recognize that a requirement is not the same as a need is certainly not the same as a want

The premise of that article/blog post/whatever may in fact be true, but it is very poorly articulated and smacks of jealousy. Saying "nobody needs that" isn't inviting conversation or dialog, it's making a blanket statement. I'm saying I reject his statement as pertinent only in his world.

I don't know how many people were camping at Expo West this year maybe 10k? A walk through the campgrounds revealed almost every possible combination of vehicle and of gear in the full spectrum from an Ozark trail blue tarp to fantastic expedition trucks, Honestly, the Mammoth ELE at $92k isn't even close to the top 50% in price of the rigs that were there. Certainly not deserving of the writers focus.

Minimalism is not required for "overlanding" in the broad sense of the word, if it suits your style then more power to you. Similarly, fantastically expensive builds are also not required, it is all subjective to the individual.

There is no such thing as "nobody needs"

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Both interesting articles, the second one about car camping and overlanding was more interesting because the 2 are really the same, it is just about where you can go. I took a 4 door Honda Accord down the west coast of Vancouver Island a long time ago, 10 days largely on Forest Service roads camping where ever I ended up for the day. Other than the odd logging truck I saw no one, I did see a lot of black bears, seals, a pod of killer whales, and a lot of deer. Some of the roads were more than a bit dodgy for a car but I managed. Now going to a local KOA or similar campsite maybe not but that is just variance.

The trailer I do not get , but I have met people with every gadget, who were terrified of a bear getting close, so there is a market for certain.
I'm about 99.9996% certain that "bear" (in the case of Mammoth ELE marketing) is a euphemism for "feral human".

MiamiC70

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
MiamiC70
Last Name
MiamiC70
Member #

but I have met people with every gadget, who were terrified of a bear getting close,

It's the bigfoots ya gotta watch out for.

Bigfeet?
I wonder if those big feet are overcompensating for something? I also wonder if there is a correlation with the EarthRoamer crowd?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: rgallant

FishFam_logs

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Livermore, CA, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Fisher
I still think part of the discussion that is being missed and was even highlighted in @Michael last video (thanks for bleeping it out, love that area!). Over use. Overlanding and offroading are suffering similar issues. The only "death" we will suffer will be due to the closure of land. Moab? Alabama Hills? Every time a youtuber gains influence they start selling product, intentional or not. The product most influencers are selling is exploration. I don't car about the RTTs, Trailers, Jackery or Starlink. Let people have their toys, I have mine. But the off grid locations are finite and limited. And influencers are selling tickets to that, lot of time for their own benefit. Best solution there, don't feed the influencer machine.

Its quite a unique issue. When I go out to explore I hope to be alone... But so do all other 20 rigs on the trails. Exploration is a right I want everyone to enjoy but dammit if I don't want "my" camping spot to stay mine!:smirk:

And back to my point in my previous thread comment, neither will ever die, overlanding or offroading. But the influencers will. You are already seeing it with all the "van life" & "RV living" crap. You can only peddle so much crap, I mean gear, before people just start shaking their head. I just wish influencers would stop selling the one thing they don't own, access. Is it really a secret after 20k views on YouTube or 10k re-shares on IG?

Untitled.gif

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@bgenlvtex You happen to be wrong, although all of your statements are correct.

Requirement: Wheeled Vehicle (a shopping cart or wheelbarrow will suffice, any thing goes, ask a homeless guy)

Need: Food, and a way to store it (bag, box, bottle, any thing goes, ask a homeless guy)

Want: Shelter (sleeping bag, card board, dumpster, any thing goes, ask a homeless guy)

Nobody needs: Personal property, privacy (ask a homeless guy)

Overlanding doesn't have a price tag. Free or billions, I ride the dotted yellow line somewhere in the middle.

Off-roading does have a price tag though. It's called "Fuel".

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

@bgenlvtex You happen to be wrong, although all of your statements are correct.

Requirement: Wheeled Vehicle (a shopping cart or wheelbarrow will suffice, any thing goes, ask a homeless guy)

Need: Food, and a way to store it (bag, box, bottle, any thing goes, ask a homeless guy)

Want: Shelter (sleeping bag, card board, dumpster, any thing goes, ask a homeless guy)

Nobody needs: Personal property, privacy (ask a homeless guy)

Overlanding doesn't have a price tag. Free or billions, I ride the dotted yellow line somewhere in the middle.

Off-roading does have a price tag though. It's called "Fuel".
LOL, I'm afraid you'll need to clarify the point where you believe I'm wrong

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@bgenlvtex T'was merely a joke; however, your closing statement (that there is no such thing as "nobody needs") is the statement that I believe is incorrect. Some things, truly nobody needs in order to overland (or travel in general). As I stated in the joke post, absolutely nobody needs personal private property in order to overland. Some (insert: the homeless) overland because they have no personal property. They own (or at least take with them) objects to facilitate survival and travel, but they own no property on which to build a home, or on which to store or work on a vehicle (or shopping cart).

The humor is twofold, because (1) private property has largely nothing to do with overlanding, and (2) that overlanders, homeless or otherwise, tend to carry a rather large collection of belongings with them, bringing us back around to the "gear mania" topic that started this thread.

To say that there is no such thing as "nobody needs" is as much a blanket statement as to say that "nobody needs" a given object. Thus, you are simultaneously correct, and incorrect.

Last edited:
Reactions: MiamiC70

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

@bgenlvtex T'was merely a joke; however, your closing statement (that there is no such thing as "nobody needs") is the statement that I believe is incorrect. Some things, truly nobody needs in order to overland (or travel in general). As I stated in the joke post, absolutely nobody needs personal private property in order to overland. Some (insert: the homeless) overland because they have no personal property. They own (or at least take with them) objects to facilitate survival and travel, but they own no property on which to build a home, or on which to store or work on a vehicle (or shopping cart).

To say that there is no such thing as "nobody needs" is as much a blanket statement as to say that "nobody needs" a given object. Thus, you are simultaneously correct, and incorrect.
The statement "Nobody needs" is an assertion that you (or anyone in this case) possesses the all encompassing knowledge and authority to determine the needs of all other people. I suppose it is possible a person could be so full of themselves that they actually believe that, but they would still be wrong. This was very clearly demonstrated in the last 3 years. Yes I'm tired and disgusted with petty tyrants casting their own self assigned authority to regulate the "needs " of others, very much so. In fact as you can see I've become absolutely intolerant of it.

You, I, nor anyone else possesses such all encompassing knowledge of other peoples needs that we can determine what "nobody needs". Offering an opinion on what someone else is likely to/ commonly/infrequently/occasionally/rarely need sure whatever.

Whatever, I don't know the guy who wrote the article and frankly based on that article have no interest in knowing him. The entire thing smacks of class envy and jealousy and is indicative of a personality that has been drinking way too much of their own brand of Kool-Aid.
If I was likely to be "overlanding" in/near/through Portland or Seattle or some other area with a large population of feral humans I very well might need some or all of the features found on the Mammoth ELE that the author of that article seems fixated on.

"Personal property" are your belonging(s) if you own the clothes on your back, or a well used McDonalds spork that you use to eat cat food in a dumpster, you own personal property.

Straight up, don't tell me what I need, I certainly won't tell you.

MiamiC70

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
MiamiC70
Last Name
MiamiC70
Member #

The statement "Nobody needs" is an assertion that you (or anyone in this case) possesses the all encompassing knowledge and authority to determine the needs of all other people. I suppose it is possible a person could be so full of themselves that they actually believe that, but they would still be wrong. This was very clearly demonstrated in the last 3 years. Yes I'm tired and disgusted with petty tyrants casting their own self assigned authority to regulate the "needs " of others, very much so. In fact as you can see I've become absolutely intolerant of it.

You, I, nor anyone else possesses such all encompassing knowledge of other peoples needs that we can determine what "nobody needs". Offering an opinion on what someone else is likely to/ commonly/infrequently/occasionally/rarely need sure whatever.

Whatever, I don't know the guy who wrote the article and frankly based on that article have no interest in knowing him. The entire thing smacks of class envy and jealousy and is indicative of a personality that has been drinking way too much of their own brand of Kool-Aid.
If I was likely to be "overlanding" in/near/through Portland or Seattle or some other area with a large population of feral humans I very well might need some or all of the features found on the Mammoth ELE that the author of that article seems fixated on.

"Personal property" are your belonging(s) if you own the clothes on your back, or a well used McDonalds spork that you use to eat cat food in a dumpster, you own personal property.

Straight up, don't tell me what I need, I certainly won't tell you.
Lighten up Francis.

Can you point on the doll where a liberal hurt you?

Radman73

Rank I

Contributor III

Florida
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Rader
Service Branch
Navy DAV
People are allowed to decide what they need/want independently of anyone else. One of the joys of this country. Sure, some of it is ridiculously expensive to many, but it drives innovation which is a very, very good thing. The market will ultimately decide what makes sense and a particular price point and what doesn't. Personally I love browsing through equipment, even stuff I don't feel I'll ever need or want because it challenges our thoughts and expands our knowledge. I have absolutely stumbled across something I never knew I needed until I saw it lol!