Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Alabama, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Raven
Member #

Is it me or is the overlanding community slowly killing itself with all the very overpriced gear being pushed as must? It seems everyone is told you have to have a tricked out vehicle with another $50k of "upgrades" to get it out of the driveway. First you must spend $50k for a off road capable vehicle then you are expected to immediately tear off the suspension, tires ( to get larger tires that are so big no normal people can lift or change them when you get a flat) and driveline to "upgrade them" for all the weight you will add with bumpers, winches , tire carriers and mandatory gear made for M1 tanks for another $50K. Then you need a $1k tent to sit on top with $100 each gas cans or bags and water cans. Then its $300+ refrigerators and grills. and don't forget all the lights, batteries and electrical upgrades so the ISS astronauts can see you from space.
Or if you want a little space to stretch out and get a trailer, its $30k for one the size of a fridge box or $50-80K plus for ones with some room that's not much more than a popup! The newest fad is electric vehicles, why anyone who does OLing and goes far from towns would even suggest these is beyond me. Maybe Elon is planning charge stations on mountain peaks and in the middle of the deserts or attached to the side of a pine tree 40 miles from paved roads or will be beaming electricity down from Starlink. I could go on and on but everyone see's it everyday. And god forbid you don't have all the "top of the line" gear or you will be treated like a slow witted stepchild by the community.

OK, I'm not bitching per se and some of this is a little satire (maybe) but we all see it daily. As an example,Tent camping isn't for me so I have looked at a few of the overland campers, my god you would think God came down and made these with his hands at the prices. I ran the numbers and found I can do pretty much as many trips a year as I want on any trail I want to go on. At the end of the day return to a hotel, have a shower and good meal and a good night sleep, gas up and repeat for the rest of my life for less than the camper prices to start with. Or I could just buy a "VERY" nice fully optioned class C RV and a car carrier trailer to haul my OL rig to the trailhead and still be way ahead on cost. I talk to a folks every year who say they have no interest in OLing due to the perceived cost to do it, that's a real shame. I took 2 friends to the Rky Mt OL Expo last August, after seeing the gear and the prices. they said not intereted in going again, couldnt afford it. Hell, t-shirts sold there were $35-45 each...

You see it on pretty much every OL vlogger channel now. Even Micheal , (who I think is GREAT) along with OB does it. His latest vid is for a water catchment box ( with a very small surface area in my opinion) with a few accessories for $319. I could do the same thing and get way more water with a $17 7gal Aqua-tainer from walmart and a plastic tarp rigged with para cord connected to it. I saw recently on a few other OL You Tubers,The lateset and greatest aluminum off road recovery shovels are $130 for 1 piece or $200 for a 2 piece version. I have a short Ace spade for 30 years works good still, it cost $25. The newest European name of course axe was $145, I have another Ace one for 25 years cost was $30, still going strong, god knows how many cords of wood I have cut with it. The point is if you call it a Overlanding tool it now costs 5 times more than any regular tool or item. When you add all this up, it turns regular folks off. If you are independently weathly then good for you, have fun. But for the normal working folks who want fun and relaxation on their off time, they cant afford this hobby at this rate.

The point is we need to keep the mall crawling gear queen requirements to a realistic level or this pursuit will die out. I believe we need to push very hard on more ways to enjoy the outdoors at a realistic cost for folks and find more ways to do things and have gear that's cheaper to entice more folks to join and to support/protect the community long term. Gear should be dual purpose not just for OLing like my spade and axe. I believe the gear makers need to stop trying to bleed us dry just because they can,because when we are dry, they go away also.

So is it me or not? Opinions? Be nice:innocent:
Fantastic write up. I completely agree with you. The cost of some of this stuff is comical to say the least. Not to mention completely unnecessary for most.
Again, well said.
Cheers.

Jay61

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Leesburg Georgia
First Name
Jay
Last Name
Brimberry
Member #

Is it me or is the overlanding community slowly killing itself with all the very overpriced gear being pushed as must? It seems everyone is told you have to have a tricked out vehicle with another $50k of "upgrades" to get it out of the driveway. First you must spend $50k for a off road capable vehicle then you are expected to immediately tear off the suspension, tires ( to get larger tires that are so big no normal people can lift or change them when you get a flat) and driveline to "upgrade them" for all the weight you will add with bumpers, winches , tire carriers and mandatory gear made for M1 tanks for another $50K. Then you need a $1k tent to sit on top with $100 each gas cans or bags and water cans. Then its $300+ refrigerators and grills. and don't forget all the lights, batteries and electrical upgrades so the ISS astronauts can see you from space.
Or if you want a little space to stretch out and get a trailer, its $30k for one the size of a fridge box or $50-80K plus for ones with some room that's not much more than a popup! The newest fad is electric vehicles, why anyone who does OLing and goes far from towns would even suggest these is beyond me. Maybe Elon is planning charge stations on mountain peaks and in the middle of the deserts or attached to the side of a pine tree 40 miles from paved roads or will be beaming electricity down from Starlink. I could go on and on but everyone see's it everyday. And god forbid you don't have all the "top of the line" gear or you will be treated like a slow witted stepchild by the community.

OK, I'm not bitching per se and some of this is a little satire (maybe) but we all see it daily. As an example,Tent camping isn't for me so I have looked at a few of the overland campers, my god you would think God came down and made these with his hands at the prices. I ran the numbers and found I can do pretty much as many trips a year as I want on any trail I want to go on. At the end of the day return to a hotel, have a shower and good meal and a good night sleep, gas up and repeat for the rest of my life for less than the camper prices to start with. Or I could just buy a "VERY" nice fully optioned class C RV and a car carrier trailer to haul my OL rig to the trailhead and still be way ahead on cost. I talk to a folks every year who say they have no interest in OLing due to the perceived cost to do it, that's a real shame. I took 2 friends to the Rky Mt OL Expo last August, after seeing the gear and the prices. they said not intereted in going again, couldnt afford it. Hell, t-shirts sold there were $35-45 each...

You see it on pretty much every OL vlogger channel now. Even Micheal , (who I think is GREAT) along with OB does it. His latest vid is for a water catchment box ( with a very small surface area in my opinion) with a few accessories for $319. I could do the same thing and get way more water with a $17 7gal Aqua-tainer from walmart and a plastic tarp rigged with para cord connected to it. I saw recently on a few other OL You Tubers,The lateset and greatest aluminum off road recovery shovels are $130 for 1 piece or $200 for a 2 piece version. I have a short Ace spade for 30 years works good still, it cost $25. The newest European name of course axe was $145, I have another Ace one for 25 years cost was $30, still going strong, god knows how many cords of wood I have cut with it. The point is if you call it a Overlanding tool it now costs 5 times more than any regular tool or item. When you add all this up, it turns regular folks off. If you are independently weathly then good for you, have fun. But for the normal working folks who want fun and relaxation on their off time, they cant afford this hobby at this rate.

The point is we need to keep the mall crawling gear queen requirements to a realistic level or this pursuit will die out. I believe we need to push very hard on more ways to enjoy the outdoors at a realistic cost for folks and find more ways to do things and have gear that's cheaper to entice more folks to join and to support/protect the community long term. Gear should be dual purpose not just for OLing like my spade and axe. I believe the gear makers need to stop trying to bleed us dry just because they can,because when we are dry, they go away also.

So is it me or not? Opinions? Be nice:innocent:
It is what it is. Nobody "has to have" anything more than a vehicle that can get them to where they want to go and the ability to eat and sleep once they get there. I personally do not think that "overlanding" means the same thing to everyone. I do not even think what I do is so much "overlanding" as it is a means to pursue the outdoors activities that I like with as much comfort and ease as possible. The reason I build vehicles how I do is so that I can get to as remote as possible places to fly fish, hunt, prospect or just plain explore and remain as long as I want to in as much comfort as I can. Do I run trails, sure, but I do it to look around for places to fish, hunt and prospect/rockhound in most cases. I do not know how many pretty, wild cutthroat trout I have caught off of some of the more popular trails in Colorado (or other states for that matter).

I am in my 60s and people have been doing what many called "overlanding" now before I was born, and I have been doing it since I was old enough to drive. At 20 years of age, I drove from GA to Alaska and lived out of a little SR5 Toyota 4x4 with a 200 dollar used "camper shell" in the wilds of Alaska for months hunting, fishing, prospecting and just exploring. Now a days that would be "hit" youtube video with hundreds of comments. There was no such thing as GPS. Satcoms, or any of the items we all have now, I used USFS Maps, USGS Maps and the latest edition of Milepost, and that was it, if you were lucky you got an AM station on the truck radio if the conditions were just right with my only way to communicate with anyone being a CB.

I think to many it is a way to "reconnect" to nature and whatever wild space there is. To others it is basically off roading with the ability to stay overnight where you are. To me and my friends, it is a way to get somewhere to hunt, fish, prospect, explore, etc....which is what we all have done since we were little kids. If I can afford something that makes my "adventures" more comfortable and I like what it offers, I will buy it. I am at the stage in my life where I can afford to not to have to sleep in an army surplus tent and eat canned beef stew for my meal in order to spend a week or two chasing native trout on some blueline stream, or hunt for a turkey grand slam, elk or deer out west if I draw a tag. If I can afford the electronics to let me contact my grandchildren or other family members and study maps for anywhere I might decide to go on the spur of the moment, I will buy it.

All you are complaining about is consumerism, which is basically a complaint in pretty much every single hobby out there. Nobody says you have to buy anything, and you certainly don't have to do so. Me, I will purchase anything that makes my time out in the woods more comfortable and makes setting up and breaking down camp easier, especially at my age. And since I am often a hundreds of miles if not a thousand or more away from home and family when I do what I do, communications with my family gives everyone peace of mind.

Last edited:

Sea Diamond

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Sea
Last Name
Diamond
Personally I think it would be impossible to Kill our love for being surrounded by what Mother Nature has created...no matter how much technology tries to influence our time spent enjoying it. I to am over 60, and my desire to be in and around it all was handed down by my dad and his dad before that. Long live what we do!

Screenshot_20230526-113047_Gallery.jpg

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
You are all not wrong. Overlanding is merely vehicular travel, however you decide to do it, and for whatever reason you do it.

This community, like all others (as @Jay61 mentioned), will have those who condemn other members for doing it their own way, as well as those who spend less time thinking about it and more time doing it.

There are the gear collectors, the safety neglectors, the YouTube recorders, the photographers, and there are those who want to look at the scenery or just kick up some dirt. Some are casual, some are lifers; the variety of target experiences is as broad as the selection of vehicles you can pick for the job.

I believe that the community is stronger than ever, but I also believe that there are a lot of people who like the image more than the lifestyle.

How many people who wear cowboy hats and sing have never herded cattle? They're "posers" too. They use an image that is considered both tough and charming, even though they have never even been to a ranch.

kayfount

Rank II

Contributor II

Bend, OR, USA
First Name
Kristy
Last Name
Fountain
Member #

Personally I think it would be impossible to Kill our love for being surrounded by what Mother Nature has created...no matter how much technology tries to influence our time spent enjoying it. I to am over 60, and my desire to be in and around it all was handed down by my dad and his dad before that. Long live what we do!

View attachment 258806
This is beautiful!

Jay61

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Leesburg Georgia
First Name
Jay
Last Name
Brimberry
Member #

You are all not wrong. Overlanding is merely vehicular travel, however you decide to do it, and for whatever reason you do it.

This community, like all others (as @Jay61 mentioned), will have those who condemn other members for doing it their own way, as well as those who spend less time thinking about it and more time doing it.

There are the gear collectors, the safety neglectors, the YouTube recorders, the photographers, and there are those who want to look at the scenery or just kick up some dirt. Some are casual, some are lifers; the variety of target experiences is as broad as the selection of vehicles you can pick for the job.

I believe that the community is stronger than ever, but I also believe that there are a lot of people who like the image more than the lifestyle.

How many people who wear cowboy hats and sing have never herded cattle? They're "posers" too. They use an image that is considered both tough and charming, even though they have never even been to a ranch.
Me, a long time ago, getting ready to separate the momma cows and their calves. I had to post this in response....lol. This is circa 1985 or there about. I am the one in the hat.....

Attachments

Sea Diamond

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Sea
Last Name
Diamond
This is beautiful!
Felt that from my camp chair...cutting a path through the middle of China...headin' north.

Quite honestly I thought the thread's question was a little silly but I sure liked what it provoked. Overlanding has come a long ways but it'll always have the smell and feel of countless miles of washboard gravel roads...waxed duck canvas and a split cane fly rod...to me.

Kristy...I definitely know you get it ;-)

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Overlanding is the new tuner car fad. Snorkel and rtt = lowered Honda Civic with giant coffee can buzz muffler.

I don't think OL'ing is killing itself. Its a fad that's simply dying off. Or dying back to its car camping roots. Less is more.

At least we aren't as sad as the RV crowd, and their overloaded trucks, and oversized trailers.

I just grab my backpack and toss it in the truck. Total pack out weight is 35-50# per person. My cast iron pizza makers, don't count. As simple as it gets. Tent, bag, ground pad, even clothes.....all prepacked, grab and go.

If ground tenting looks like suckage, we find a hotel. Often, resorts are part of our travels. Heck, Top Gear crossed Africa this way.

I have no interest in overlanding outside the US right now. I can fly to other countries. Car camping has been a must have, to get the best bang for buck in the US. But I mostly just want to dive in other countries. Maybe some hiking trails. No jeep needed.

I'd love a slide in camper. Fwc or Bundutec, but my spreadsheet says 25+ weekend trips and a few 1 week trips, before the $30,000 investment makes sense. Just not there yet. I'll stick to noob ground tenting.

Last edited:
Reactions: MiamiC70

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@Jay61 Nice to know there's at least one cowboy hat on this planet that's been used by an actual cowboy! Incidentally, it happens that the term "overlanding" originated with herdsmen, albeit Australian ones.

But, I assume you all already knew that.

Reactions: Jay61

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Overlanding is the new tuner car fad. Snorkel and rtt = lowered Honda Civic with giant coffee can buzz muffler.

I don't think OL'ing is killing itself. Its a fad that's simply dying off. Or dying back to its car camping roots.
Yep.
Watched this same thing with every "hobby/sport" that went wild with the public.
Remember when everyone wanted to learn Kung Fu due to the TV show in the early 70's then within a couple of years, everyone switched to backpacking and had to have a fashionable down jacket? Then lifted vehicles, then ATC 3 Wheelers.........

Reactions: DintDobbs and MidOH

Jay61

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Leesburg Georgia
First Name
Jay
Last Name
Brimberry
Member #

Felt that from my camp chair...cutting a path through the middle of China...headin' north.

Quite honestly I thought the thread's question was a little silly but I sure liked what it provoked. Overlanding has come a long ways but it'll always have the smell and feel of countless miles of washboard gravel roads...waxed duck canvas and a split cane fly rod...to me.

Kristy...I definitely know you get it ;-)
I actually have a couple of old Orvis split bamboo flyrods teamed up with old Hardy reels that live in my vehicle for those "just in case" moments when I am out and about.

Reactions: Sea Diamond

Sea Diamond

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Sea
Last Name
Diamond
I actually have a couple of old Orvis split bamboo flyrods teamed up with old Hardy reels that live in my vehicle for those "just in case" moments when I am out and about.
Jay...those are timeless combos. Word of caution though...the rods should hung whenever possible to avoid warping. Something my father always repeated.

Anyways...what I write are my earliest memories of Overlanding with my father. Can't count the times he would stop whatever he was doing and say "never forget this"
Screenshot_20230528-153225_Gallery.jpg

Reactions: rgallant and Jay61

Jay61

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Leesburg Georgia
First Name
Jay
Last Name
Brimberry
Member #

Jay...those are timeless combos. Word of caution though...the rods should hung whenever possible to avoid warping. Something my father always repeated.

Anyways...what I write are my earliest memories of Overlanding with my father. Can't count the times he would stop whatever he was doing and say "never forget this"
View attachment 258924
I agree with your father's sentiment. One thing has changed, now a days you can find more native fish out west in remote areas. There has been a great comeback for many of the cutthroat species and now in many areas you are encouraged to keep invasive species, typically brook trout in the blue line streams, for the frying pan. I am building a vehicle now, one that would probably be considered "trendy" but it fits my needs perfectly. I have a Jeep Gladiator Rubicon that arrived at the dealership yesterday afternoon. I put a hold deposit on an Alu-Cab Canopy Camper last week and will be ready as soon as I get the new suspension I ordered (along with a decent list of mods) for the truck. Now that I am in my 60s the added "living space" and the ease at setting up and breaking down, along with the storage options, will no doubt make my adventures that much more enjoyable. Plus with it, my daughter-in-law is more apt to allow my young grandchildren to join me on some shorter adventures closer to home in N. Ga, Tenn, the Carolinas, VA & WV. I believe that this will be the perfect set-up for what I like to do. The vehicle will allow me to go pretty much anywhere I want to go except for the most technical of trails, though rigs like these can handle much of the Moab trials but I do not see myself doing Black Bear Pass or the likes simply due to the weight, and live in relative comfort when I get to the elusive "pot of gold". I am referring to my build as my soon to be "retirement vehicle".

MattLew

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member II

Harriman, TN, Tennessee 61, Harriman, TN, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Lewandowski
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG4DIE
Yes "overlanding" has gone overboard with gear mania... As others have pointed out... this is not the same as killing itself, or dying out. Many hobbies have gone through the gear mania craze.

ALL that is really needed is a reliable 4x4 (that CAN include a subaru forester (or even a motorcycle) if that is what you have), a sufficient recovery kit (more gear needed if you are solo), a sufficient emergency kit (including some form of reliable emergency communications), and some basic camping gear. I have spent the better part of the last 20 years sleeping in the bed of my truck when I travel. No need for for $3000+ RTTs, prinsu racks, etc. All the other accessories are STRICTLY luxuries to make life more convenient for what we want to do, or are a style thing. (I admit... I like the look of a decked out rig as much as the next guy... 33" (most likely) to 35" tires for my tacoma are on the list as soon as my current tires wear out or are damaged. I just got my cargo rack (a contractor style ladder rack) that I have wanted since before I got my tacoma in 2020... other budget concerns came first) next on the budget are various bits of armor after that I can start working on the luxuries... I AM on the fence about a snorkel. Dust is not that big of a problem for me unless I start traveling in groups.

The world is constantly bombarded with youtubers and others essentially saying "Such and such company was nice enough to give me this shiny new toy so that I would convince you how essential said toy is". We need to remind folks that it is NOT NECESSARY, it is a luxury. More importantly we need to remember it ourselves.

IMO, "Reliable 4x4" means a 4x4 not only in good mechanical condition, but equipped with tires suited to the area you will be operating in (my ATs would be fine in MANY areas, but are insufficient in muddy areas, thus til I can replace them I do most of my wheeling during the dry season). I personally believe it should have basic armor as well. A good front bumper with a winch and (in the south east at least) skid plates being minimum. (both of which are not yet in my budget).

"Sufficient recovery kit" needs a minimum of rated recovery points (there are bolt ons that WILL work), snatch strap or recovery rope, some shackles, a tree saver, and the above mentioned winch (there are straps out there that turn a wheel into a short range winch that WILL DO)... this is MINIMUM.

"Sufficient emergency kit" should have at least a fire extinguisher rated for ABC, a decent first aid kit (that is an extensive list, but costs less than $150), and a means of contacting help (Ham radio, GMRS radio, or satellite communicator, dDO NOT count on cell phone (used to be I would say HAM radio was the best choice for us, but GMRS has become slightly cheaper, and only a fraction of the overland community bothered to pass the general exam to get HF privileges, even fewer mounted HF radios in their vehicles... now with the license restructuring, it is EASY for someone to fill out a form, and pay $35 to get a GMRS license, and satcom gear is more reasonable every couple years.)

Camping gear... I have been using a coleman propane stove and a cooler with dry ice since the mid 90s. A sleeping bag and a home brew tent made from a tarp on my truck bed likewise have served me for decades. After 10-30 years of use, much of my equipment is wearing out, and it is time to start replacing it. I find myself torn between a hammock and what the aussies refer to as a swag (a cot with a tent built onto it) and leaning toward the hammock as it will also be good for canoe and hiking here in the south east (I may have to get something else if I am going to go somewhere with fewer trees). You do not need the fancy gear. RTTs started in Africa and Australia where they needed to get off the ground to be safer from the (everything) that is out to kill you in those regions. In most of the US they are simply not needed for the same reasons, though we do have regions where we have the same basic problem. We do however love them for the convenience. I know people who can set up camp in under 5 minutes. It takes me a "bit longer"... BUT if it is not a downpour, I enjoy the aspect of setting up my camp. It detaches me from the "modern world" and reminds me I am out in nature.

Do I have a set of blueprints I have made for converting a 5x8 utility trailer into a "overlanding chuck wagon"??? Why yes... yes I do... Will I ever build it? MAYBE... I do not need it... So it is way down my priorities, But I am a bit of a foodie... If I started traveling with a group of people regularly, I would have more use for it, and it might become a higher priority, but it would strictly be a LUXURY item so I could more easily cook for a dozen people. Traveling by myself, my cooler and coleman stove on my tailgate work just fine. Traveling in a small group of 3-5, a simple "patrol box" like MANY scout troops build will work just fine.

I have a friend who if she were to start overlanding (which I think if she could afford the related expenses she would greatly enjoy), she would need a minimum of a good cot inside a decent tent. She is probably past her years of sleeping on the ground. RTTs would probably be as out of the question for her as they would be for my dad. Ladders are just problematic after a certain age that I myself likely only have a decade or two before I find myself hitting. I could definitely see her out with a nearly stock jeep wrangler rubicon (with a homemade "patrol box" to organize her kitchen gear in the back (so she did not have to lift and move the box so often)) and a good aussie style "swag" as minimal equipment... My dad on the other hand I think would need a minimum of an earth roamer style expedition rv, satellite tv dome, starlink satellite internet access, etc. :)

As for my own truck. It is for work and play... I have a contractor style ladder rack that I am going to be modifying after I can get my hands on the metal... next on my list is a front bumper which I will modify with a custom brush guard (designed for extra protection as I live in the south east where trails maybe narrow and seriously overgrown) with a decent 10k-12k winch, then a FULL set of skid plates (my tacoma is my daily driver, therefore I can not afford for a rock to take out the transmission, fuel tank, or differential), then a decent set of sliders to replace my side steps (which have clearly saved the truck from some damage in the past) beyond that I am looking at getting a moderate lift kit such as arb's OME 2.5" lift kit or dobinsons equivalent as well as a set of air bag helper springs and a custom made on board air system (these will be in conjunction with getting 255/85r16 or 35" BFG KM3 or geolander tires). I will likewise build my own drawer system to hold hunting and camping gear... in time I will either get an APEX Offroad rear bumper and heavily modify it, or I will develop my own BSM compatible rear bumper. I WILL eventually upgrade my electrical system with a custom dual battery system, but that is very low priority at this time. (Will become much higher priority if I start doing winter camping some place where I actually need a heat source to survive) I have designed the ability to include my electrical upgrades as well as the OBA system into my drawer system (having a 6' bed has advantages)... In all, the worst part of the entire build price wise will be the bumpers. (especially the rear bumper since only one company in the world is known to have a BSM compatible rear bumper for 3rd gen tacomas the pair of bumpers and the metal for the mods (not counting the winch or lights) I want to do to them will have a combined total of about $7000 as long as prices do not climb too significantly)...

I am going to get a set of canvas seat covers to protect my interior. I have a ABC marine fire extinguisher (stolen from my canoe kit) in the passenger seat floor board, but I have plans on replacing it soon and putting in a pair using quick detach mounts from amazon on the front floorboards near the front seat when pulled completely forward, plus I will attach two more in the back seat attached to pouches sewn on to the seat covers or attached to some amazon molle panels on the backs of the seats. I have a fairly extensive fist aid kit I pack in the bed of the truck, but I am getting a replacement for my old largely depleted first aid (booboo) kit that rides in the cab. this too will be attached to the driver seat back. I keep a basic recovery kit (straps, and some other goodies) in the bed of the truck. I also want to get a 20# fire extinguisher for the bed. I plan on making a pair of cargo boxes that sit behind my "windoors" on my ARE bed cap, and will be mounting various tools (axe, pick, shovel, etc) on the backsides of them... I will have to crawl into the bed of the truck to get to them unless I build some form of slider, but they will be secured and available if needed.

Notice I did not mention off road lights (we do not really need much, and a hand full of one of the more reputable brands of light from amazon will do unless you are desert racing), I did not mention refrigerators (it would be nice, but is not needed) I did not mention bat wing 270 degree canopies (they ARE nice to keep out of the sun or the rain at camp), I did not mention fancy camp kitchens (well o.k. I would love a fancy camp kitchen, BUT it is NOT needed)... I did not mention snorkels (they are darn handy for those living in the dustier areas such as out west, or even the midwest, they are also handy for areas where you may do lots of water crossings IF done properly, but are not absolutely essential and really are a topic unto themselves) I did mention RTTs but I pointed out they are luxuries for MOST people.

My radio equipment is subject to a series of goals and rewards I have set for myself (not to mention availability as the IC7100 has been on backorder a long time) but I will be putting in an Icom IC7100 HF ready mobile radio once I pass my general license exam, plus I will be getting my GMRS license once certain goals are met, and I will add a president CB once they have (I think it is the mc kinley 3) passed for use in the states giving AM/SSB/FM capability, likewise I am looking at a satellite communicator that will be tied to a specific goal, but may be bumped if I start doing a lot of solo travel. What can I say... I am just a communications geek. To me my GMRS and Ham radios are the most important and will see 99% of my usage, not to mention some of my "overlanding" will specifically be for the purpose of operating my radio from the middle of nowhere. I can always get a cheap CB without the bells and whistles for over the road travel comms.

As I pointed out above, you do not need much for overlanding... the rest, including a bunch of the stuff I want, are STRICTLY luxuries.

Traveler III

West Hills, Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Twomey
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
As my group name "Jeep'n It Simple" implies i do not fall for all of the marketing hoopla for off road (Overland) gear. Here is an great article from Outside Magazine on this topic - the ultimate overland trailer or has the Overlanding mania finally gone too far? Hope you can access it,

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

As my group name "Jeep'n It Simple" implies i do not fall for all of the marketing hoopla for off road (Overland) gear. Here is an great article from Outside Magazine on this topic - the ultimate overland trailer or has the Overlanding mania finally gone too far? Hope you can access it,

Is that any different than saying that making a $200,000 car has gone too far, even though people are clearly buying such vehicles?