• HTML tutorial

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
Here's the deal. The overlanding community isn't killing itself. It's running strong, and stronger than ever, thanks in part to the consumer products being available to the ones who need it.

The people who don't need it, the ones who build a rig just for the attention, the ones who ride the hype, those are the ones who are killing their own community. Not ours. Frankly, the only intersection between their community and the overlanding community is that both modify vehicles to suit their purposes. Those guys build theirs for attention, we build ours for travel. Period.

I'll never hate on a guy because of how he built his rig. I'll even admire a well-outfitted rig that never sees dirt. But there is a line in the sand between real overlanders, and people who just like the image.

There's also a large intersection between overlanders and off-roaders, which is a different discussion to be had; but the ones who ride the hype and like the image tend to try to look like the off-road overlanders. Let's be honest. It does look pretty good.

It just looks a lot better when the owners actually use it for something other than like's and subscribe's. But since those are the guys whose community is dying, let it die, and just keep doing what you did. You liked it before it was cool, and you'll like it after it's not cool any more.

Sea Diamond

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Sea
Last Name
Diamond
wow...that was a lot take in. Had to come up for air...the one and only time I wish I had a snorkel. Anyways my $0.02 is overlanding is all about the adventure but so often is influenced by our younger Thunder Under the Dome memories.

Reactions: rgallant

Sea Diamond

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Sea
Last Name
Diamond
OK. I guess I am to old and out of the loop to understand... Would you be kind enough to explain?
It was just a little dig at Monster Truck Shows and their influence on Overlanding and Offroad vehicles. Big capable rigs are super cool but perform way better empty...whereas a good reliable overland vehicle is more about comfort and the destinations.

Anyways...it was an early post...maybe I should've had my coffee first ;-)

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

Something I have noticed coming from both the jeep world and the Landcruiser world. At get togethers the jeep guys would stand around for hours talking about all of their gear and vehicle mods and bolt ones. Cruiser guys? Talk about experiences and very rarely talk about our trucks when we get together. No judgement, just an observation based on a few decades of observation. If someone wants to spend a crapload of money on stuff, that makes the stuff less expensive for others that want the stuff. Need versus want- now there’s a rabbit hole eh?
Got a bone stock wrangler and it will stay like that. The only mod so far - I moved the 12V plug in the trunk - it had very stupid vulnerable position. I put some AT tires on it as well - original size, about 32 inch I think, since I is stock size, I don't consider it a mod.
I just saw the X overland series about their trip in Scandinavia. It was really funny to watch , like they were going in a war zone :) .

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Got a bone stock wrangler and it will stay like that. The only mod so far - I moved the 12V plug in the trunk - it had very stupid vulnerable position. I put some AT tires on it as well - original size, about 32 inch I think, since I is stock size, I don't consider it a mod.
I just saw the X overland series about their trip in Scandinavia. It was really funny to watch , like they were going in a war zone :) .
Ya, I followed them for the very first series they did- Moab to Valley of the Gods, then unsubscribed. Way too much drama. Way over equipped, way too much add placement. I really like this guy, no drama, no BS, just does his thing and tells us about it. Dan Greck is one of three that we follow.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Something I have noticed coming from both the jeep world and the Landcruiser world. At get togethers the jeep guys would stand around for hours talking about all of their gear and vehicle mods and bolt ones.
Heh
You obviously haven't been to an event with a bunch of Kitted out Tacoma's.
A lifetime of Jeep/Cruiser world and I was so not ready for that.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Heh
You obviously haven't been to an event with a bunch of Kitted out Tacoma's.
A lifetime of Jeep/Cruiser world and I was so not ready for that.
This is true, I’ve never hung with the Tacoma crowd. In the tri county area I live in there are JKs and even TJs everywhere. Huge following. Not many Tacos and way less Cruiser guys. We are a very small cult with a lot more in common than our Landcruisers.

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

Had a Landcruiser J120, Prado, in the US was sold as a lexus GX something something, mine was a 2007 if I remember correctly.
The latest model J150 I did not like, like many new vehicles , because many reviewers complain it is not fast on windy roads, OMG, is not sporty enough... terrible suspension choice

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

I would say the original post is part of the problem. I won't say it because there's no problem. Everyone is free to go where they want, in whatever vehicle they want, with whatever gear they want. You don't need anything. You take what you want. And you don't have to post about it after the fact. There's always the option to just do it. I've been "car camping" and "outdoors" since I was a kid and I'm 42 now. For a while it was fun to post pics on IG and see all of the inspiration you've given people. Then it got old. My IG postings have slowed WAY down. I tried my hand at YouTube as a hobby but people have too much to say about that. They want more, they want less, etc. Whatever, when I finally disconnect from work I'm not doing this for anyone other than myself.

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@diabetiktaco That's the name of the game! Thing is, people should follow their own interests. Understand how it affects others, and perhaps tailor the experience to benefit others as well, but don't make the experience about people who don't participate in it... unless that's what you're into!

I took some forest roads this morning and found places I didn't know about, close to home. Nobody on YouTube, or Instagram, or anywhere else, would care about these places. There was nothing to stop and look at, there was no place to camp, there was nothing exciting, or really even interesting, but it was fun!

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I would say the original post is part of the problem. I won't say it because there's no problem. Everyone is free to go where they want, in whatever vehicle they want, with whatever gear they want. You don't need anything. You take what you want. And you don't have to post about it after the fact. There's always the option to just do it. I've been "car camping" and "outdoors" since I was a kid and I'm 42 now. For a while it was fun to post pics on IG and see all of the inspiration you've given people. Then it got old. My IG postings have slowed WAY down. I tried my hand at YouTube as a hobby but people have too much to say about that. They want more, they want less, etc. Whatever, when I finally disconnect from work I'm not doing this for anyone other than myself.
Somewhere there is a thread about all of that and I became long winded on the subject of YouTube posers and IG flunkies and why I no longer participate in any of that drama.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Ye
Checking back in... did we fix Overlanding yet?

-TJ
Yes, the topic and a multitude of tangents have been discussed, debated & resolved. If you aren’t driving a MOG, a Series III RR or a 40 series LC , then you aren’t really an overlander and have been relegated to the status of Mall Krawler .

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Ye

Yes, the topic and a multitude of tangents have been discussed, debated & resolved. If you aren’t driving a MOG, a Series III RR or a 40 series LC , then you aren’t really an overlander and have been relegated to the status of Mall Krawler .
But but but, I have traction boards!

B3512315-CAEF-4701-98AB-1BCC5F7612A8.jpeg