Keep it, remove it or shorten it??

• Total voters

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

So, i have been debating on the current rack setup I have... I dont like it! I think it is too tall and looks strange. I am considering removing it and chopping and shortening it. Thoughts? Please answer the poll above and leave additional comments below!

Reactions: Michael

WJ - Firefly

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Casey County, Kentucky
First Name
David
Last Name
Goodyear
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KL7JKC
It's a personal preference thing. I chose a shorter one so that it didn't interfere with the moonroof and was able to mount the light bar to the factory rails. The spotties are mounted to the front lower bar of the rack.

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Ankeny, IA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

I think it would look good a bit shorter, but it is not horrible that way. Maybe you just need more gear or cases up there?

murps

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
d
Last Name
m
Member #

my vote is to lower its height. I have a Cabela's TrailGear 2 Rooftop Basket and Extension which i find to work just fine. I've stacked boxes 2 levels high on that (2.5- 3 feet high) and with a flexnetting everything stayed on fine. I did a write up on it if you want to see.

Any side photos of your rack?

Nomad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

I say keep it looks good to me and if ya run out of passenger room you can strap em to the rack..
I was hoping it was about mounting antlers on the vehicle LOL...

WUzombies

Rank V
Launch Member
Supporter

Advocate II

Central Texas
Member #

Keep the length, shorten then vertical section. I like a full length roof rack, hell my rack is literally 10ft long, but I like the verts to be slightly shorter.

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Ankeny, IA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

Yes, definitely want as much floor space as possible. I fill mine up in so many ways now that I have flooring and lots of options. (And the eo2 mounts)

I've found that interlocking chicken coop flooring works well. (Polymax chicken coop floor from farmtek)

Last edited:

Wolvee

ᕕ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ) ︻デ═一 pew pew
Staff member
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

I don't dislike it. I imagine it will be perfectly fine until you absolutely hate it or your load out forces you to change it. I say, No sense in wasting money or resources to just find something similar.

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

X2 with @Wolvee but if it's driving you nuts, I've seen a Rola Vortex with an extension fill up a jeep roof like yours very well.

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Lowering it just above or equal to the lights would solve much. I guess.

Greetings from Robert

Overland-Indiana

Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

I'm thinking I am going to cut it off, make it a flat rack for now, then over the winter shorten it, vertically and weld it back together.

Overland-Indiana

Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

I also plan on welding/fabricating a ladder to access the rack. It is a pain to crawl up there or try to throw things up there, then tie them down standing on a tire or rear bumper. A ladder would solve so many issues.

Reactions: Cappy410

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Why wait? Just cutting it down and weld it, is just a few hours or work. And it is done. Just go for it.
And it is just one cut extra for every vertically bar.
Ladder is also a few hours work.

Dont wait with things to do what can be done fast.

Greetings from Robert

Overland-Indiana

Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

Why wait? Just cutting it down and weld it, is just a few hours or work. And it is done. Just go for it.
And it is just one cut extra for every vertically bar.
Ladder is also a few hours work.

Dont wait with things to do what can be done fast.

Greetings from Robert

I can only do this stuff at night, after kids and wife are in bed. I work 7am to 6pm, then eat dinner and give kids baths at 8pm then by the time they are dressed and stories have been read it is nearly 9pm. So, by the time i can get to the garage it is is 930 or so. I don't have a few hours to spend on it at once. It will probably be cut off one night then whenever i get some time over the winter i will finish it up and the ladder. There is just not enough time :(

Overland-Indiana

Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

That is what I said! I think you will like that. At least it is cheap try and you can always shorten and reinstall sides later if you want.
Yeah i am going to try that. We are headed to the Badlands Sunday so I'll at least take off the rack for that trip. I'll probably leave it of until i have time to cut it. @hardtrailz you free Sunday? A group of us from Indiana Overlanders are going to the Badlands.

hardtrailz

Rank V

Advocate II

Indiana
It's hunting season. Need to fill the freezer the rest of the way. Hopefully make that trip a couple times later this winter...esp when there is snow to wheel in. Make sure yall get some pics and post em though.

Reactions: Overland-Indiana

Cappy410

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Okotoks, AB
First Name
Stephane
Last Name
Fortin
Member #

The only thing I would chop down is the height. You'll regret making it smaller. No Rack is too big.