Is it Possible to Color tracks different colors?

• HTML tutorial

luchaDor

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pioneer II

Urbandale, IA 50323, USA
First Name
Doran
Last Name
Else
Member #

Recently spent 4 days in the Ozarks and recorded all my tracks using OB1. Worked flawlessly. Now I'm going back and editing / cleaning up the tracks adding waypoints etc. Is there a way to change the track color from Green to something else? For ex, I want to color my Friday tracks Orange, Saturday - Blue, etc. Probably missed it, but since I was in the same general area all 4 days, it would be nice to edit the colors to help separate & identify the routes I took.

Thanks!

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Recently spent 4 days in the Ozarks and recorded all my tracks using OB1. Worked flawlessly. Now I'm going back and editing / cleaning up the tracks adding waypoints etc. Is there a way to change the track color from Green to something else? For ex, I want to color my Friday tracks Orange, Saturday - Blue, etc. Probably missed it, but since I was in the same general area all 4 days, it would be nice to edit the colors to help separate & identify the routes I took.

Thanks!
I love this, awesome. We are always looking at ways to refine and improve the app. Currently colors are based on difficulty. If you plan a route, you can set the route color, but that would probably not be appropriate for what you’re doing in ideas on track coloring, but it may get confusing for folks if we color by difficulty and then also allow custom coloring. I’m open to thoughts. So glad it worked well for you. 

luchaDor

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pioneer II

Urbandale, IA 50323, USA
First Name
Doran
Last Name
Else
Member #

I love this, awesome. We are always looking at ways to refine and improve the app. Currently colors are based on difficulty. If you plan a route, you can set the route color, but that would probably not be appropriate for what you’re doing in ideas on track coloring, but it may get confusing for folks if we color by difficulty and then also allow custom coloring. I’m open to thoughts. So glad it worked well for you. 
Is there a filter option perhaps to view tracks recorded on date = 3/1/24 for example? That would also work

luchaDor

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pioneer II

Urbandale, IA 50323, USA
First Name
Doran
Last Name
Else
Member #

Ultimately, in between trails and campsites, I went over the same connecting route a few times...and was just trying to 'view' the tracks laid out by day. Which, I can just load each individual saved track...but a view by day would be helpful.

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
@Michael ... the import location data from photo saved me so much time in adding in campsites / points of interest, etc. great feature!
That is so good to hear! Photo feature - seems so simple yet I think its unique to OB1. Comes from my own fumbling about with the app and saying, "there has GOT to be a better way"!

For tracks - in short, a filter by date does not exist at this time. Some things I can think of:
- You can filter by difficulty.
- you can "Save" a track on the summary card and it will appear on the "Saved" tab of the map.
- You can export the GPX and edit it in something like "GPX Viewer" on desktop (a feature we want to add), then edit your trail in the app and "Replace GPX" with the updated GPX file.

Reactions: luchaDor

luchaDor

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pioneer II

Urbandale, IA 50323, USA
First Name
Doran
Last Name
Else
Member #

@Michael Just a plug for the use-case for allowing custom colors on routes...this is the Ozark Overland Adventure Trail .gpx files loaded in Gaia. Its broken up by day, so each color is the recommended day's travel. I would be nice to be able to assign colors...I get that the colors are standard for the difficulty, but seems like the other apps have a way to custom code the colors for viewing. (These are all Yellow in OB1so it just blurs into one long trail, and merges into other tracks I have saved in the same area.)

Gaia:

1714349037463.png

OB1:

1714349503537.png

Reactions: danwyandt

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
@Michael Just a plug for the use-case for allowing custom colors on routes...this is the Ozark Overland Adventure Trail .gpx files loaded in Gaia. Its broken up by day, so each color is the recommended day's travel. I would be nice to be able to assign colors...I get that the colors are standard for the difficulty, but seems like the other apps have a way to custom code the colors for viewing. (These are all Yellow in OB1so it just blurs into one long trail, and merges into other tracks I have saved in the same area.)

Gaia:

View attachment 278083

OB1:

View attachment 278084
We have looked into this, and have a way to do it. It will be weeks not months. The idea is, on the details page, you would set a custom color. By doing so, you would override the color by difficulty setting.

luchaDor

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pioneer II

Urbandale, IA 50323, USA
First Name
Doran
Last Name
Else
Member #

We have looked into this, and have a way to do it. It will be weeks not months. The idea is, on the details page, you would set a custom color. By doing so, you would override the color by difficulty setting.
@Michael The other idea I wondered about was a custom toggle view on the map...'view by: date range, difficulty, custom colors'...something like that perhaps.

Last edited: