Is an overland trailer really worth the expense?

• HTML tutorial

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Stupid question, why reverse using 4LO?
no need to slip the clutch, more time to respond to correct the trailer, never need to touch the brakes, crawl over obstacles, rocks, trees etc
never stall the engine, easier on the drive train

we are talking about reversing on a skinny mountain trail where there is no room to turn around, not reversing in the WalMart parking lot

Corsair84

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Colorado
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Allen
2LO is often used in Fords for slower reversing, easier backing. No dragging the brakes.

4LO might be a bad idea due to all the steering we do in reverse. But not a bad idea if straight back.

On my Ram, I need to unplug the trailer plug for long sections of reversing. The trailer brakes are way too sensitive. Dragging the brake to keep speed down, will lock up the trailer brakes. So it's tap the brakes, let truck accelerate, tap, release, tap........looks like I'm an idiot newb who's never backed a trailer before. 4LO solves that problem.
That's great info thanks! I'd be doing it in a ram most likely as well, so thats a great tip.

RRRob919

Rank I

Contributor III

Minneapolis, MN
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Skowronski
Hey guys! I just joined the community today and am still VERY new to all of this. I am curious as well if the off road campers are worth the money. I have been interested in a DrifterTrailer that are made in GA. Does anyone have any insight into the reliability of these or have any personal experience with them? I know there are hundreds of companies that manufacture these kind of trailers but the drifter trailers have stood out to me. Does anyone have any experience or comments on those trailers? Thanks!

Reactions: Sparksalot

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Hey guys! I just joined the community today and am still VERY new to all of this. I am curious as well if the off road campers are worth the money. I have been interested in a DrifterTrailer that are made in GA. Does anyone have any insight into the reliability of these or have any personal experience with them? I know there are hundreds of companies that manufacture these kind of trailers but the drifter trailers have stood out to me. Does anyone have any experience or comments on those trailers? Thanks!
I am not a fan of the all wood design. I would be concerned about warping and condensation issues. With that said I am sure many folks will chime in and say they haven't had any issues with their wood trailers. I have seen a few YouTube reviews but that's about it.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Heres an inexpensive way to get a trailer door. Just an aluminium storm door cut down. Since they are made with aluminium extrusions they are simple to disassemble and cut on a mitre saw with a carbide blade, then screw back together.

Cheap old windows too. A handicapped bath bar for a handle. 4 hardware store handles to lift it off with. Basic cheap hardware stuff for access doors and electrical.

DSCN1267.jpg

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Sheesh! $22k and no spare tire or rooftop AC?

Beware the deposit trap. Many, MANY, small time overland trailer companies have gone under, and stolen dozens of $10,000 deposits in the process. Considering how small time this hobby is, it's disproportionately scary how many times people have been ripped off.

$30k is enough for a huge, super plush, travel trailer. Useless for overlanding...........but it's hard to sell a off road durable dog house on wheels to my wife for $30k.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
That’s one I’d consider if I replace my teardrop.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I am not a fan of the all wood design. I would be concerned about warping and condensation issues. With that said I am sure many folks will chime in and say they haven't had any issues with their wood trailers. I have seen a few YouTube reviews but that's about it.
mine is all wood. There’s been no warping in 12 years. Condensation is possible with any enclosed space as well.

B3CDBDF1-A1DA-475F-AC0E-3B50964964C9.jpeg

Reactions: 64Trvlr and Redbear

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
mine is all wood. There’s been no warping in 12 years. Condensation is possible with any enclosed space as well.

View attachment 142500
I didn't phrase that right I guess. I meant to say condensation causing issues with wood. Glad you have never had issues. I know people that have had problems with cabinetry in high humidity climates. You are correct condensation can happen anywhere.

Redbear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bayville, NJ
First Name
Kenneth
Last Name
Murdoch
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2TQO GMRS: WREQ743
With the Off Grid Expedition 2.0 trailer, do you find yourself wishing you had more space than just the cabin space? I'm looking at an Air Opus setup, just because it grants just a little bit more lounge area. I'll be traveling fulltime with my dog, and while I love the Off Grid trailers, having him jump into the camper with dirty paws and whatnot doesn't seem fun.
If you are looking for a trailer for just you and your dog and are looking at the Opus OR, check out the Air Opus 2. The pictures I put up I the other thread are of the 4 which has an additional bed but sacrifices some storage and the hatch system is different. I would have gone with the 2 if it weren’t for my son and GF.

Reactions: Corsair84

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I didn't phrase that right I guess. I meant to say condensation causing issues with wood. Glad you have never had issues. I know people that have had problems with cabinetry in high humidity climates. You are correct condensation can happen anywhere.
Ah, makes sense. When I first saw a turtleback trailer, I was turned off by the lack of wood cabinets and finishes. Once I watched their demo video, it made sense why they chose not to use it.

Reactions: theMightyGoose

Corsair84

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Colorado
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Allen
If you are looking for a trailer for just you and your dog and are looking at the Opus OR, check out the Air Opus 2. The pictures I put up I the other thread are of the 4 which has an additional bed but sacrifices some storage and the hatch system is different. I would have gone with the 2 if it weren’t for my son and GF.
I looked at the Opus 2 and the Opus 4, I tend to like extra space for some reason.. And for the same price I thought the 4 might be a better deal. Granted, the 4 does have more to setup with the extra hatch but I'm not sure that would amount to that much extra time for setup / breakdown. I can't find many OP2 videos at all to get a good feel for what would fit me best. Plus there's just more Op4's for sale used it. Do you have the Annex? Is it worth it and how much of a pain in the ass is it to setup? (Another bonus with Op4 is you can leave the annex connected and put it away with the main shell.)

Redbear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bayville, NJ
First Name
Kenneth
Last Name
Murdoch
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I looked at the Opus 2 and the Opus 4, I tend to like extra space for some reason.. And for the same price I thought the 4 might be a better deal. Granted, the 4 does have more to setup with the extra hatch but I'm not sure that would amount to that much extra time for setup / breakdown. I can't find many OP2 videos at all to get a good feel for what would fit me best. Plus there's just more Op4's for sale used it. Do you have the Annex? Is it worth it and how much of a pain in the ass is it to setup? (Another bonus with Op4 is you can leave the annex connected and put it away with the main shell.)
The big difference in the 2 and 4 other than the extra bed is the storage. There is very little storage in the 4, the 2 has several
More storage compartments.

I have the annex, it is big, heavy and a bit cumbersome. But, It is amazing how much space that thing gives you when it’s set up.

it really feels like you have a base camp for an expedition.
There is a simple sun awning that you can get for just $200 that will give shade and keep light rain off of you.

In the warmer weather I will switching out the the sun awning. But forcold weather when you need protection or if you want the two extra bed areas you can’t beat that thing.

Corsair84

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Colorado
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Allen
The big difference in the 2 and 4 other than the extra bed is the storage. There is very little storage in the 4, the 2 has several
More storage compartments.

I have the annex, it is big, heavy and a bit cumbersome. But, It is amazing how much space that thing gives you when it’s set up.

it really feels like you have a base camp for an expedition.
There is a simple sun awning that you can get for just $200 that will give shade and keep light rain off of you.

In the warmer weather I will switching out the the sun awning. But forcold weather when you need protection or if you want the two extra bed areas you can’t beat that thing.
Ah I didn't know the storage was that much different. That's great to know!

With the Annex, do you find yourself being able to set it up by yourself? It sounds worth while, but if you were doing this fulltime would you bother?

Redbear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bayville, NJ
First Name
Kenneth
Last Name
Murdoch
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ah I didn't know the storage was that much different. That's great to know!

With the Annex, do you find yourself being able to set it up by yourself? It sounds worth while, but if you were doing this fulltime would you bother?
very easy to setup the annex, putting away takes a little more muscle but it’s doable for a one person. Those 4WD guys pack the thing up in like three minutes no problem. I’m proud to say I got packing down (with the annex) to 30 minutes.

needless to say I have work to do.

HuddExpo

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado Springs, CO
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0PSF
Mine is homebuilt, just over 20yrs old all wood with aluminum sheeting. It has 10's of thousands of miles on it through all conditions from super arid and dry to hot and humid, to soaking wet for days. I absolutely love it. I think issues simply come down to how well it is built, and that goes for both bought and homebuilt trailers. I am not saying there is nothing wrong with it wood wise, but I would hardly say it has fared any worse than all metal trailers of the same age.

tdob.jpg

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Cost a lot compared to a truck bed or tent. What about offroad trails that are hard to maneuver in?
Mine is a 4x6, 22gallons h20, 2-5 gallon Gerry cans for petro, galley in rear, lots of stowage. Total weight completely loaded = 1,000 lbs. it’ll follow our LC wherever we choose to go. I have about $2,000 in it, all designed and assembled in my barn.0F18F676-B611-497F-A368-FB905DFBCC6D.jpeg

Last edited:

Nomad164

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Rockingham, Western Australia, Australia
First Name
Karl
Last Name
Fehlauer
Member #

Here in Australia Campertrailers (as we call them) are extremely popular and over the last few years have become very robust and capable off road.

Mine is an Australian made Pioneer 'Longreach' which is a rear foldout hard floor version - that is, when it is all packed up the floor is the roof and when folded out the roof is the floor.

I have a kitchen with a two burner stove and a sink, a slide with my Weber Baby Q BBQ on it, it carries 120 litres of water, there is a hot water system and a shower and two 120 Amp hour batteries for power and two 9kg gas bottles.

This Campertrailer will go anywhere I take my 4WD and I love it - pics below to show you what it looks like.

Karl

Packed away for towing.

2018-06-03 4WD - 003-Edit.jpg

2018-06-03 4WD - 040-Edit.jpg

All set up.

2018-06-03 4WD - 045.jpg

2019-09-29 Camping 003-Edit.jpg

Set up with the 'en suite' so that SWMBO (She who must be obeyed - aka the wife) can have a shower and use the porta potti.

2019-09-29 Camping 002-Edit.jpg

AdventureGuy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Paul
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N4SAP
Here in Australia Campertrailers (as we call them) are extremely popular and over the last few years have become very robust and capable off road.

Mine is an Australian made Pioneer 'Longreach' which is a rear foldout hard floor version - that is, when it is all packed up the floor is the roof and when folded out the roof is the floor.

I have a kitchen with a two burner stove and a sink, a slide with my Weber Baby Q BBQ on it, it carries 120 litres of water, there is a hot water system and a shower and two 120 Amp hour batteries for power and two 9kg gas bottles.

This Campertrailer will go anywhere I take my 4WD and I love it - pics below to show you what it looks like.

Karl

Packed away for towing.

View attachment 143315

View attachment 143316

All set up.

View attachment 143317

View attachment 143318

Set up with the 'en suite' so that SWMBO (She who must be obeyed - aka the wife) can have a shower and use the porta potti.

View attachment 143319
Sweet setup. Someday I’d like to get to Australia!