Is an overland trailer really worth the expense?

• HTML tutorial

legrena

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast III

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
First Name
Sergio
Last Name
Kyriakis
Member #

Service Branch
US Army Veteran
Here in Australia Campertrailers (as we call them) are extremely popular and over the last few years have become very robust and capable off road.

Mine is an Australian made Pioneer 'Longreach' which is a rear foldout hard floor version - that is, when it is all packed up the floor is the roof and when folded out the roof is the floor.

I have a kitchen with a two burner stove and a sink, a slide with my Weber Baby Q BBQ on it, it carries 120 litres of water, there is a hot water system and a shower and two 120 Amp hour batteries for power and two 9kg gas bottles.

This Campertrailer will go anywhere I take my 4WD and I love it - pics below to show you what it looks like.

Karl

Packed away for towing.

View attachment 143315

View attachment 143316

All set up.

View attachment 143317

View attachment 143318

Set up with the 'en suite' so that SWMBO (She who must be obeyed - aka the wife) can have a shower and use the porta potti.

View attachment 143319
Those Patriot campertrailers are the dogs bollocks, mate!

Nomad164

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Rockingham, Western Australia, Australia
First Name
Karl
Last Name
Fehlauer
Member #

There are even better ones here - the whole Campertrailer industry is really big over here and with Covid it is going to get bigger as supply isn't keeping up with demand!

People here aren't sure when international travel without restrictions will begin again so they are now turning back to our domestic market to go travelling and there is a shortage of all things off raod and camping.

Karl

Reactions: legrena

legrena

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast III

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
First Name
Sergio
Last Name
Kyriakis
Member #

Service Branch
US Army Veteran
There are even better ones here - the whole Campertrailer industry is really big over here and with Covid it is going to get bigger as supply isn't keeping up with demand!

People here aren't sure when international travel without restrictions will begin again so they are now turning back to our domestic market to go travelling and there is a shortage of all things off raod and camping.

Karl
I can see that making a lot is sense. I’ve watched a number of the YouTube videos from Patriot. They are serious kit for sure. Recently saw the ones that carry the quads. Those are massive!

Nomad164

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Rockingham, Western Australia, Australia
First Name
Karl
Last Name
Fehlauer
Member #

I can see that making a lot is sense. I’ve watched a number of the YouTube videos from Patriot. They are serious kit for sure. Recently saw the ones that carry the quads. Those are massive!
The problem is, that they are too big in many cases and I personally wouldn't want to be towing one off road, particularly in some of the remote places I go and intend to go, but then each to their own.

Karl

legrena

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast III

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
First Name
Sergio
Last Name
Kyriakis
Member #

Service Branch
US Army Veteran
The problem is, that they are too big in many cases and I personally wouldn't want to be towing one off road, particularly in some of the remote places I go and intend to go, but then each to their own.

Karl
that’s right. It’s whatever floats your boat and what your personal needs are.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Does anyone have any insight into the reliability of these or have any personal experience with them?
Simple, does it feel like a china doll or can you swing the door shut like you shut yer truck door. Sliding the fridge slider, does it feel as durable as sliding yer drivers seat. Washing it, can you run a sponge or the foam brush over the trailer with as little thought as washing the truck. Are you worried water might get into the trailer.
If you are willing to pinstripe the truck, will the trailer fair as well or might things get ripped off the trailer.
The bottom of your truck hss stuff protected by skid plates, is the trailer as well protected.

Trucks handle wash board and pot holes pretty well......... this is not rocket science, how well built is the trailer. Are you afraid to lean on it, touch it, ....

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

It took me 40 years to get where I'm comfortable. 30 years ago the choice was 1st gen FourRunner with a camper instead of roof, or CJ with a Trillium Trailer. I did the FourRunner and built a box, cool but not good with wife and two kids. A year later it was gone and an F250 Crewcab was the daily driver for 10 years.

Now, empty nesters, and often camping single, I like the TJR, Sauare Drop combination.
My trailer is 10 years old and was bought for work.

It has hauled 100 old brick chimneys to the dump.
DSC_0047.jpeg

It performs firewood duty every year.
trlr 017.jpg

And it is my camper, the Square Box slides in. Built in 2017.
DSCN1542.jpeg

For all the reasons others mention, since it stays loaded, we never have to pack it and nothing gets forgotten.
I do the same for work, all the tools in the cargo trailer mean if I get home at 6am Monday???? I can trade trailers and go to work knowing all the tools are loaded.
DSC_0025.jpeg

Reactions: surfnturf

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

It's totally worth it to me. I have my RTT set up fairly high to allow surfboards or Kayaks to travel it. Mine is a Canadian Military Trailer. The axle was relocated under the leaf springs giving it a few inches lift. Fit 33's nicely and follows my bronco everywhere with ease. View attachment 187312View attachment 187314View attachment 187315
are you watching old Bronco prices????
they are selling for crazy money right now.
lock it up securely and,,,, make sure you are insured for its value today.
Uncut ones like yours in period correct colours are rare.

This one sold for $35,500 last week.
1967_ford_bronco_1611663785a42a7ce4081010E996E0-1391-4D61-B420-EC0004140131.jpeg

This one sold for $91,000 in January.
1973_ford_bronco_16106637101e1f8cbe183b97F489CE2-5D82-4C3A-AEF5-6DEFBCB51C78.jpeg

This one, soft top only, sold for $120,000 in May.
1973_ford_bronco_1589927165166ec4fa56ebDSC_8733.jpg

And this one, on a custom chassis, sold for $291,000 2 years ago.
2019_icon_autotype__icon_br_old_school_66_1552434123eca845b9ccimg-21.jpg

Crazy, but, even the stock looking wheels are CNN Machined Alloy.
2019_icon_autotype__icon_br_old_school_66_1552070775e98621410cb0Icon3.jpg

Last edited:

surfnturf

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor II

Kings Mountain, CA, USA
Member #

are you watching old Bronco prices????
they are selling for crazy money right now.
lock it up securely and,,,, make sure you are insured for its value today.
Uncut ones like yours in period correct colours are rare.

This one sold for $35,500 last week.
View attachment 187322

This one sold for $91,000 in January.
View attachment 187323

This one, soft top only, sold for $120,000 in May.
View attachment 187324

And this one, on a custom chassis, sold for $291,000 2 years ago.
View attachment 187325

Crazy, but, even the stock looking wheels are CNN Machined Alloy.
View attachment 187326
I was selling my 66 cuda a couple of months ago to a guy. When he saw my bronco parked next to the car he was buying he whipped out another 50K cash for the Bronco. I turned him down and kept the bronco. I went and bought a jeep CJ7 to use for the trail and daily driving and now saving the bronco as a weekend cruiser.20201213_150410(0).jpg

Last edited:

surfnturf

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor II

Kings Mountain, CA, USA
Member #

It took me 40 years to get where I'm comfortable. 30 years ago the choice was 1st gen FourRunner with a camper instead of roof, or CJ with a Trillium Trailer. I did the FourRunner and built a box, cool but not good with wife and two kids. A year later it was gone and an F250 Crewcab was the daily driver for 10 years.

Now, empty nesters, and often camping single, I like the TJR, Sauare Drop combination.
My trailer is 10 years old and was bought for work.

It has hauled 100 old brick chimneys to the dump.
View attachment 187316

It performs firewood duty every year.
View attachment 187317

And it is my camper, the Square Box slides in. Built in 2017.
View attachment 187318

For all the reasons others mention, since it stays loaded, we never have to pack it and nothing gets forgotten.
I do the same for work, all the tools in the cargo trailer mean if I get home at 6am Monday???? I can trade trailers and go to work knowing all the tools are loaded.
View attachment 187319
Those wheels on your jeep look amazing.