Launch Member

Contributor III

Loveland, Colorado, USA
First Name
Seth
Last Name
Schueller
Member #

I frequent these trails, move fallen branches from them, and clean up their campsites when I can. They are both located in Allenspark, CO.

Reactions: Offroadtails

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I frequent these trails, move fallen branches from them, and clean up their campsites when I can. They are both located in Allenspark, CO.
Are these trails in a National Forest?

mrseth

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Loveland, Colorado, USA
First Name
Seth
Last Name
Schueller
Member #

Are these trails in a National Forest?
Sorry for the late response! They are NOT in a national forest. They are old mining/logging/fire service roads that are more technical that the usual forest service roads. It seems that the Hotshots don't clear these roads because they aren't in high-risk fire areas and serve as fire breaks even in cluttered status.

K-G

Rank V

Enthusiast III

New Hope, Alabama, United States
First Name
Kajetan
Last Name
Groicher
Member #

Man oh man...Bunce School Road and the Iron Clads. Haven't heard of those in quite some time. I grew up in Allenspark, and spent all of my teenage and college years 4-wheeling so many of the trails in the surrounding area. Bunce School was always a challenging one, especially heading back to Camp Dick. I recall a lot of rock crawling along those trails.

One of my best memories on Bunce School was a spur of the moment late night decision to head out 4 wheeling. About a half hour after turning off of Highway 7 and onto Bunce School, our lead vehicle went TU, full stop, DRT. No headlights, no power, no spark, nothing. This was on a section of a hill, with several boulders to be crawled over, and no room to pass. We spent an hour trying to fix the truck by the light of a Coleman gas lantern and cigarette lighters. We got her back up and running, and despite our better judgement, pressed on to Camp Dick for the night.

If memory serves, the roads are in the Roosevelt National Forest, but not in the Rocky Mountain National Park. Of course, this was back in the 80s and 90s, and I'm not sure if those boundaries have shifted, or if some National Forest land has been privatized. I'd love to get back there again, though I don't think my Silverado would navigate those trails quite as well as my 81 Toyota SR5 pickup did.