Maine, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Wiggin
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
What’s everybody using for off-line maps? Downloadable, etc. I have an iPad Pro I’d like to utilize!
GaiaGPS is fairly popular (it is what I use along with Google Maps). You can download map sections for use when not online.

OnX is another I here about. Haven’t tried it.

If your iPad has the option for cellular data then it has a gps chip you can use it as is. If not you will need a gps puck or something that provides a gps signal via Bluetooth or cable to the ipad

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Use the OB app, and offline maps will be active in august in case you need them as well.......

Reactions: M Rose and Shahn

OutaFocus

Rank I

Contributor I

Blue Ridge Georgia
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Laudenslager
Member #

Service Branch
Navy
I’ve used the Dual XGPS150 for several years through several iPads. It’s only about 2” square so I can slip it in my pocket and take it with me on a hike if I need to. And the battery lasts forever. It connects to any of my devices through Bluetooth so I have no wires to mess with. The iPad and iPhone Dual app is great telling you how many satellites you are hitting, their strength and relative location. It also comes with a no-slip rubber holder so that it doesn’t slide around on your dash. I’ve been so pleased with it that I got a second one. You can find one for $99 or even less at times on a major site. I paid around $86 for my last one.

Reactions: MiamiC70

cgranier

Rank VI

Trail Blazer II

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Carlos
Last Name
Granier
Member #

Using a Garmin Overlander.
How do you like it? I recently drove 6,000 miles to Colorado using my iPad+GAIA+Garmin Glo 2 and though it was way better than using my phone, I'm thinking that a dedicated unit like the Overlander with onboard maps would've been a better choice. iPad+GAIA's handling of downloaded maps is hit-or-miss at best (also, this being my first long trip with this setup didn't help, I'm sure).

enjoitheride

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
W
Member #

How do you like it? I recently drove 6,000 miles to Colorado using my iPad+GAIA+Garmin Glo 2 and though it was way better than using my phone, I'm thinking that a dedicated unit like the Overlander with onboard maps would've been a better choice. iPad+GAIA's handling of downloaded maps is hit-or-miss at best (also, this being my first long trip with this setup didn't help, I'm sure).
I absolutely enjoy the Overlander. I was using Gaia on an iPad, and wanted to give the Garmin a try. It’s great. Super easy to use, the built in features are great, and the navigation is easy to switch between. There’s a 200.00 rebate going on till the end of the month.

Oh, the magnetic mount is awesome. And I put it’s strength to the test this past trip.

Reactions: cgranier

cgranier

Rank VI

Trail Blazer II

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Carlos
Last Name
Granier
Member #

Thanks. I wonder if Garmin is coming up with a newer Overlander, perhaps with InReach included?

I absolutely enjoy the Overlander. I was using Gaia on an iPad, and wanted to give the Garmin a try. It’s great. Super easy to use, the built in features are great, and the navigation is easy to switch between. There’s a 200.00 rebate going on till the end of the month.

Oh, the magnetic mount is awesome. And I put it’s strength to the test this past trip.

enjoitheride

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
W
Member #

Thanks. I wonder if Garmin is coming up with a newer Overlander, perhaps with InReach included?

I’m not sure. There’s someone who I’ve talked with at Garmin quite a bit. I kind of asked about it, and she didn’t indicate anything. However, it was stated, that they actually don’t find out till last minute either.

But, if you can save 200.00, and you want one, it might not be a bad way to go. I do have multiple inReach devices, and have one paired to my Overlander, but I use it independently anyhow.

But, I can’t predict what Garmin will do. The device has been out a couple of years, and they are sure to update at some point.

CafeRoaster

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Seattle, WA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Clark
I think I'm using Gaia and OnX wrong. I just can't seem to figure out how to create a route on either. Neither wants to allow me to drive offroad. Using these apps, I thought I'd be able to select two waypoints and get a route that uses vehicle-approved routes, not just paved roads.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I think I'm using Gaia and OnX wrong. I just can't seem to figure out how to create a route on either. Neither wants to allow me to drive offroad. Using these apps, I thought I'd be able to select two waypoints and get a route that uses vehicle-approved routes, not just paved roads.
Not sure on Onx, but on Gaia make sure you are selecting “Overlanding” as the means of travel… some times you have to force waypoints between two locations. Neither app works like Google Maps where you select a destination and the app then routs you from your current (or preselected starting point) to your destination.

CafeRoaster

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Seattle, WA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Clark
Not sure on Onx, but on Gaia make sure you are selecting “Overlanding” as the means of travel… some times you have to force waypoints between two locations. Neither app works like Google Maps where you select a destination and the app then routs you from your current (or preselected starting point) to your destination.
I can’t find Overlanding on desktop or mobile. I’ve attached a screenshot of mobile.

How do I create a route using two waypoints? Or do I have to create a bunch of waypoints and not expect it to adhere to the forest road or what have you?

Attachments

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I can’t find Overlanding on desktop or mobile. I’ve attached a screenshot of mobile.

How do I create a route using two waypoints? Or do I have to create a bunch of waypoints and not expect it to adhere to the forest road or what have you?
I see your problem, you will have to force the route because GAIA isn’t recognizing the road interceptions of pavement vs gravel… GAIA typically forces county/state roads over FS roads… it’s something I don’t like wait her and can be a huge pita 99% of the time while I’m building my routes.

As an example here is a GPX Route I have driven before, but wanted to build a route utilizing some off the beaten paths. Drawing the route took me 4 hours because GAIA didn’t like most of my road choices and I had to make a lot of smaller tracks to merge into one larger track.

Attachments

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Big Gaia fan, though not liking their new pricing.. I will look into something else when the time comes.