IPad Mounts

• HTML tutorial

DividedSky

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

USA
Member #

Navigation gone mad :tongueclosed: - this was the set up for a navigation challenge event in the Mits L200 (Triton). L to R Netbook running MS Autoroute (yes, still use it ...) and a trip meter app a mate built, Ipad running a whole variety of nav apps (Garmin, Memory Map, Motion X), and a Garmin Oregon running Garmin street level and Memory Map. Needless to say we didn't get lost!!! Maybe not on the right road or track, but never lost :sunglasses:

Ipad mount is the same one as now used in the Defender - see above - the suction mount can be seen below the Ipad.

Great setup!
BTW. Just thought I’d let you know but I think your car is backwards.

DividedSky

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

USA
Member #

This is the one I use. The mount is very secure. I did have to add a small quick-fist to the side of the footwell to reduce vibration though. It just clamps right into the riser bar.

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

Jason Baker

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Lincoln Park, Michigan
Member #

I have spent waaay too much on mounts. I started with a cheep one for my 9.5inch tab from Amazon for about $25. The kind with the aluminum rod in it. It worked well, but really shakes. So I upgraded to a RAM mount. I bought three extensions and all the accessories. All together it was like a $150. Only to learn that the balls and extensions were too small and wouldn't continually support the weight of the tab. So, I then changed it AGAIN and mounted it with the bigger ball and only one extension to my dash. Now, it's solid, but hard to face towards the drivers position. I work with spinal cord patients and that is the first time I ever saw a friction are. Photographers use them all the time to hold their heavy cameras. And they are SOOOOO much cheaper. Yet, they are rock solid and don't shake or vibrate. Untitled.png

Reactions: Ebbs

Jason Baker

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Lincoln Park, Michigan
Member #

So this pic is what you are using now? Do you have pics of it installed?
No, I am still using the RAM Mount. I just installed the new one about 2 months ago so the ego is still bruised. I am going to switch it though to a friction arm. Plus, on the bonus of that, they make mounts for tablets, as well as cameras. So, if you are like me and you have a YouTube channel, or you film, you can pop your tab off and mount your DSLR and have it film you while you drive!

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
thanks, and that can hold an Ipad steady offroad?
I am sure it moves a bit, but I really dont notice it or see the map blurring or anything like that and I am constantly "draggin" the map to see around me or follow along. Now it is not a solid or bolted down moves as one with the rig mount, but again it is steady.....At least mine is.

Jim
PS it is cheap as well.....

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Love the patches! Fu€k isis!

thank you spent 7 years in the middle east as defense contractor and that was after desert shield, desert storm and provide comfort as active duty.........

Reactions: Lost-Again

RootedWanderers

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Pelham, Alabama 35124
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Sullivan
Member #

I have the Vector Offroad Mount bar in my Wrangler JKU and a Ram X mount for my phone and their TabTight on a short dual jointed arm with u bolt clamp for handlebars holding it in place. The Tabtight Ram mount is designed for the tablet even with a ruggedized case on it. Does not move at all.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Doesn't this bounce around much mounted like this?
No bounce at all!!! it is absolutely solid. I did it this way to keep everything low without cluttering the dash at my site level.

Kory Joseph

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Italy
First Name
Kory
Last Name
Joseph
Member #

@OBJK, does the TabTite system from Ram Mounts adjust, or is it a set-it and forget-it type holder. I don't want to have to get an allen key or phillips out every time I remove or install it.

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I recently finished what I believe will be the last iPad/InReach setup I’ll ever need. I started with an inexpensive iPad mount from amazon that gave me a taste of how awesome it is to be using an iPad vs a phone. I quickly wanted something more stable but still without holes in the car so I went with Joy Factory’s carbon fiber cup holder mount and modified my LifeProof iPad case to utilize their magnetic dock with a thumb screw. It was great but took up a valuable cup holder haha. Enter Panavise and their dash mount. The most short lived mount to date for me as if was even less stable than my ikross mount from amazon. My current setup utilizes pieces from the previous 2 setups and is very solid. Parts are from RAM, Joy Factory, 67 Designs, and Panavise. The base is a 1.5” RAM ball custom mounted. It ended up being a super clean install.

49D0E341-A9CD-4637-AB83-C8A18B0C489F.jpeg 4BF066F9-CE3C-4334-953B-392583F176BD.jpeg 6CB86A70-0E3B-4D10-8F5F-E5D6BC3C0327.jpeg

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
This looks pretty clean. What was the total cost?
Thank you. Not sure on the total cost but I spent sooo much more getting to this point than if I had just done something similar to begin with. Using just RAM products it would be reasonable but I wanted to get use out what I had already purchased.