Interesting thoughts to ponder! What's your take?

• HTML tutorial

9Mike2

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Garden Grove, California
Member #

Working for SCE here in So Cal we lived with the Thomas guides, even so our crews often worked were the roads had not even been name or built with the crazy build up here in the So Cal.

Reactions: shansonpac

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
About the article? I think the points are opinions that may resonate with some and not others. I can think of counter arguments for each point but then those would just be my opinions that resonate with me. Use paper maps if you like, use GPS if you like or use both. Some tools work better for some folks but not all folks.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Use both. Paper maps do give you a better idea of the lay of the land. GPS generally only gives a narrow view, and rarely can account for road blocks. (it'll just keep rerouting you back to that road block) Paper maps can be written on.

I use Garmin, and Delorme GPS. Delorme Atlas, and whatever paper map I can find. Double redundancy.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
When I travel I always want a paper map, you never know when that electronic device decides it doesn't want to work for various reasons. I also preplan on my 23" monitor using Google Earth to get an aerial view of the area and save images off and print them so I have an overhead view of landmarks. I would put myself in the category of using electronics for navigation but always having paper maps and images of the area for backup.

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
About the article? I think the points are opinions that may resonate with some and not others. I can think of counter arguments for each point but then those would just be my opinions that resonate with me. Use paper maps if you like, use GPS if you like or use both. Some tools work better for some folks but not all folks.
It do be like that!

Reactions: 9Mike2 and Ubiety

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder III

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

I am not sure why it is an either or proposition? I am very happy when traveling to use a GPS device and Gaia MVUM overlays offline-they work great, you can plot routes ahead of time etc. At the same time you can often hear me saying I wish I had a paper map as well because you can open that map and get a much more expansive view than you can on a GPS device-the larger the zoom the less detail on GPS devices. You have easy and cheap redundancy and a way to navigate in the event of equipment failure.

It really is, to me, a prudent thing to have both.

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
I love paper maps but no longer use them frequently. The digital versions have more information, and more detailed information, and allow me to define what data I need. The specificity is incredible. "I want the 2016 USFS raster map with the USGS topo Vector map overlayed". Boom. Bob's your uncle.

We are also working on routing in our app that will give you street turn-by-turn as well as offroad nav.

I also am hearing about form factor. I agree a mobile phone is too small for most nav - bigger screens needed.

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
I always have both, but my route planning is generally I am going there from here. I use the GPS to generally track my route, and refer to the paper maps for the overview. I hate turn by turn as I find it inefficient, but that could just be me.

I keep an old Garmin e-trex handheld in my kit with a couple of sets of batteries for worse case and having to walk out. I can get a location on that, add get my location on map which has Lat/Long lines on each map page. And of course the ultimate fall back a compass, which can be annoying to use to get a fix in PNW but still useful.

Reactions: 9Mike2