Rank IV

Traveler III

Los Gatos, Santa Clara County, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Norton
Member #

i did have a ranger in yellowstone offer to sell me some used camp gear that was apparently from "abandoned" sites. if i bought two camp stoves...he'd throw in a femur bone for free...
The Ranger I spoke with also said they are always wary to go look in an abandoned tent for the rest of the skeleton………yikes

Michael_Exploder

Rank IV

Traveler III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Norton
Member #

Preferring instead to hop into in their Tesla’s and skedaddle leaving the gear for someone else to clean up.
Just wondering if anyone else has heard of this in the areas where they camp.
The abandoners should at least leave a note that says "free!", like folks in the city do when they place furniture on the sidewalk.
Agreed, he did say they were storing it in the event someone would claim it, or later donating it to a group who could use it…

Michael_Exploder

Rank IV

Traveler III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Norton
Member #

We too came across a really nice camp set up in the middle of the forest in NM. We knew it was sitting a while as mildew was forming. But one thing is for sure, be proactive.
Just to make sure no foul play;
  • Any signs of a struggle, such as footprints or broken branches.
  • Any personal belongings, such as clothing or identification.
  • Any animal tracks or scat.
  • Any blood or other signs of injury.
Rule it out, report it is not, and if so.
Because you never know.
Good point, always best to pass on information to the local rangers if You see something like this in the event there may be a missing person etc…..Not in a “Camp Karen” sort of way but out of concern someone may have left for a day hike and didn’t return due to injury etc.

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
Burning man is a good example of people, mostly wealthy, just leaving behind gear and vehicles as well. A few years ago , Overland Expo at Mormon Lake, it rained and snowed , as predicted, the majority of people fled on that Thursday leaving behind camping gear.
A good lesson on how many do not check the weather and plan accordingly.

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
I had recently set up my base camp in Hope Valley, Ca. for a few days and struck up a conversation with one of the great people who look out for Us and Our forests here out west. He mentioned that they are seeing more and more “abandoned” camps full of brand new equipment (Tents, sleeping bags, cooking gear,coolers etc.) in some of the camps around the area.Periodically they will see a fully set up camp left sitting for several days without anyone around when they decide to investigate , they find the camp has been abandoned and they are tasked with cleaning up the sometimes very expensive camp gear and putting it in storage.They surmise that possibly first time glam campers decide to pop into Walmart, REI, Bass Pro, etc., plunk down a small fortune on camp gear and after a cold night, wind, bugs,strange animal noises, sleeping on a 1” thick foam pad etc. , they decide to bail out…. Preferring instead to hop into in their Tesla’s and skedaddle leaving the gear for someone else to clean up.
Just wondering if anyone else has heard of this in the areas where they camp.
So I thought about not posting this but a similar story some days ago.
On my morning rounds I came upon this camp occupied the night before by a family of 6. Kids everywhere but all were having fun. I think.
I was so pissed off I started to clean up the camp and throw all the garbage in the trash. The tent still had some gear in it but I knew we had to wait 24 hours for the guest to return.
If you leave a camp and most of your gear and you're headed home you should immediately loose it. It's just disrespectful. To the Forest, the State and me.
Zim
IMG-1192.jpg