Rank IV

Traveler III

Los Gatos, Santa Clara County, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Norton
Member #

I had recently set up my base camp in Hope Valley, Ca. for a few days and struck up a conversation with one of the great people who look out for Us and Our forests here out west. He mentioned that they are seeing more and more “abandoned” camps full of brand new equipment (Tents, sleeping bags, cooking gear,coolers etc.) in some of the camps around the area.Periodically they will see a fully set up camp left sitting for several days without anyone around when they decide to investigate , they find the camp has been abandoned and they are tasked with cleaning up the sometimes very expensive camp gear and putting it in storage.They surmise that possibly first time glam campers decide to pop into Walmart, REI, Bass Pro, etc., plunk down a small fortune on camp gear and after a cold night, wind, bugs,strange animal noises, sleeping on a 1” thick foam pad etc. , they decide to bail out…. Preferring instead to hop into in their Tesla’s and skedaddle leaving the gear for someone else to clean up.
Just wondering if anyone else has heard of this in the areas where they camp.

pluton

Rank IV

Member I

Santa Monica, CA, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
BBB
Member #

Preferring instead to hop into in their Tesla’s and skedaddle leaving the gear for someone else to clean up.
The abandoners should at least leave a note that says "free!", like folks in the city do when they place furniture on the sidewalk.

Tommys

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Round Rock, Texas
First Name
Tommy
Last Name
Sustaita
Member #

We too came across a really nice camp set up in the middle of the forest in NM. We knew it was sitting a while as mildew was forming. But one thing is for sure, be proactive.
Just to make sure no foul play;
  • Any signs of a struggle, such as footprints or broken branches.
  • Any personal belongings, such as clothing or identification.
  • Any animal tracks or scat.
  • Any blood or other signs of injury.
Rule it out, report it is not, and if so.
Because you never know.

Reactions: Michael_Exploder

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I'm not disagreeing, I just have a hard time understanding it. I can see abandoning camp for an emergency. We have all seen abandoning trash but a trend with leaving gear?

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
I have noticed it up here, people will leave stuff to "hold their camp" and it will be up here for a few weeks. They will visit the camp on their days off, but to hold the site they leave their stuff. To me this is disrepectful practice and would love for the rangers up here to take their stuff and put it in storage. Especially when there are signs posted everywhere thats say packin packout... just cause its a designated campsite on a forest road doesnt mean you can leave it there

Tommys

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Round Rock, Texas
First Name
Tommy
Last Name
Sustaita
Member #

I'm not disagreeing, I just have a hard time understanding it. I can see abandoning camp for an emergency. We have all seen abandoning trash but a trend with leaving gear?
Sometimes emergency evac happens, tragedies occur, and sometimes people think they are contributing to camp life for others by leaving all behind.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I have noticed it up here, people will leave stuff to "hold their camp" and it will be up here for a few weeks. They will visit the camp on their days off, but to hold the site they leave their stuff. To me this is disrepectful practice and would love for the rangers up here to take their stuff and put it in storage. Especially when there are signs posted everywhere thats say packin packout... just cause its a designated campsite on a forest road doesnt mean you can leave it there
Yeah, I think its THIS ^^^
Money or no money, I'm not leaving brand new kit behind if I've spent a small fortune on it and decided camping wasnt for me. Maybe in a torrential downpour or something, but not "just because"

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Yeah, I think its THIS ^^^
I agree. On a few of my more resent mountain trips, I was amazed about the lack of remote spots available. I would look on a Friday morning and almost nothing. The number of "occupied" camps vs the number of people I saw, make this more of a reality.

shoredreamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV
We happened upon a Hope Valley dispersed area off the highway. We noticed a lot of campers and rv’ers looking to be setup for more than a few days. My assumption is that these campers take day trips to Tahoe (20 minute highway drive) and maybe even overnighters, and then return to their camp when they feel. They may very well be away from their camp for much of the day and return only evenings and nights. Just what I gathered from our one night observation.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I had recently set up my base camp in Hope Valley, Ca. for a few days and struck up a conversation with one of the great people who look out for Us and Our forests here out west. He mentioned that they are seeing more and more “abandoned” camps full of brand new equipment (Tents, sleeping bags, cooking gear,coolers etc.) in some of the camps around the area.Periodically they will see a fully set up camp left sitting for several days without anyone around when they decide to investigate , they find the camp has been abandoned and they are tasked with cleaning up the sometimes very expensive camp gear and putting it in storage.They surmise that possibly first time glam campers decide to pop into Walmart, REI, Bass Pro, etc., plunk down a small fortune on camp gear and after a cold night, wind, bugs,strange animal noises, sleeping on a 1” thick foam pad etc. , they decide to bail out…. Preferring instead to hop into in their Tesla’s and skedaddle leaving the gear for someone else to clean up.
Interesting, I have not heard this to be a problem in the El Dorado NF but obviously it is.

Michael_Exploder

Rank IV

Traveler III

Los Gatos, Santa Clara County, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Norton
Member #

We happened upon a Hope Valley dispersed area off the highway. We noticed a lot of campers and rv’ers looking to be setup for more than a few days. My assumption is that these campers take day trips to Tahoe (20 minute highway drive) and maybe even overnighters, and then return to their camp when they feel. They may very well be away from their camp for much of the day and return only evenings and nights. Just what I gathered from our one night observation.
I have had this conversation with the rangers, usually just before big holiday weekends RV’rs pop over and plant their RV in a spot and come later in the week to spend some time. The rangers in the area are aware of this and do their best to dissuade the locals from it but not much they can do based on the BLM 14 day occupancy rule I would imagine.